Can we recognize fake rams on the spot ?

So i am going to buy a new ram tomorrow. In Indian markets there are many fake rams . The place i am going to buy is the biggest IT market in asia and here you can get awesome deals but the chance of getting a fake ram is high. How can i recognize if a ram is fake on the spot ? One way im gonna try is buy adata ram as it lets u check the ram serieal no. On their website. Other ram sites do not offer this. I know that cpu-z is lets you know if ram is fake but i cannot take my pc with me as it is far away. 

2 minutes ago, Vivank said:

So i am going to buy a new ram tomorrow. In Indian markets there are many fake rams . The place i am going to buy is the biggest IT market in asia and here you can get awesome deals but the chance of getting a fake ram is high. How can i recognize if a ram is fake on the spot ? One way im gonna try is buy adata ram as it lets u check the ram serieal no. On their website. Other ram sites do not offer this. I know that cpu-z is lets you know if ram is fake but i cannot take my pc with me as it is far away. 

Realistically not really... If people are selling fake ram, then they could just either fabricate a sticker to put on the box/ram kit, or use a heat gun to remove it and reapply it to a new kit.. Only way to be 100% certain would be to test it and see how it reads in the BIOS. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Well you can try to look at the DRAM modules itself.

If it's from a weird brand, there's probably something fishy.

If it's from Samsung or Micron or another good brand it's either real or a very well done fake one.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

test it in a computer store. pay the shopkeeper a small amount of money for the service.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Just now, legacy99 said:

Realistically not really... If people are selling fake ram, then they could just either fabricate a sticker to put on the box/ram kit, or use a heat gun to remove it and reapply it to a new kit.. Only way to be 100% certain would be to test it and see how it reads in the BIOS. 

The fake rams will also show up in bios. The bios can not tell if its real.

Just now, Vivank said:

The fake rams will also show up in bios. The bios can not tell if its real.

well it will tell you if its the proper size and speeds as rated on the kit sticker. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Well, in theory if you read the numbers off the RAM chips, determine their size (128MB/256MB/512MB) you can find out if it's really a 2GB/4GB/8GB stick or if they're lying.

I don't have a good solution to if the lie about what brand it is. Like if they say it's G.Skill but it was really made by Dell, or if the RAM is faulty without actually testing it.

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Well you can try to look at the DRAM modules itself.

If it's from a weird brand, there's probably something fishy.

If it's from Samsung or Micron or another good brand it's either real or a very well done fake one.

Is the samsung or micron logo placed on the chips ? Can you elaborate a little.

Have the vendor stick the ram in a PC and run MemTestX86.

If it's bad or fake, that program will suss it out.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

test it in a computer store. pay the shopkeeper a small amount of money for the service.

I shall try that. Its a nice idea.

6 minutes ago, Vivank said:

Is the samsung or micron logo placed on the chips ? Can you elaborate a little.

The black chips (DRAM modules) always have the brand printed on it and a model number. Logo, don't know, usually not because there's not much room.

But the name, always there, you can always look up the model number and see if it matches with the specs on the box.

edit: this one for example has a bunch of wirting on every module, 1 of them is the model number (bit of guesswork needed to figure out which one, but doable)

Spoiler

samsung_10nm_ddr4_1.jpg

After a quick search i figured out it's samsung B-die. It's not always easy because it's not always documented very well but it's doable.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Have the vendor stick the ram in a PC and run MemTestX86.

If it's bad or fake, that program will suss it out.

The vendors are mostly rude and the shops are always busy. They do not even have a copy of windows in any system. They work with laptops.  There is no way he will ever agree to a 2 hour long test.

3 minutes ago, Vivank said:

The vendors are mostly rude and the shops are always busy. They do not even have a copy of windows in any system. They work with laptops.  There is no way he will ever agree to a 2 hour long test.

Then you are at an impasse sadly. Best you can hope for it look at the actual chips and hope to recognize name brands, like mentioned above, Micron and so forth.

If you have network access there, you can google the chip numbers and see what comes up.

IMO honest vendors would not be rude about this stuff, only those trying to hide things.

EDIT:

BTW, MemTestX86 runs off CD or USB....it'll spot bad ram in minutes

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

13 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Only way to be 100% certain would be to test it and see how it reads in the BIOS. 

Agreed that is the only way

6 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

My friend bought a ram from the same place. It shkwed the correct speed and capacity in the bios. When he came home and checked CPU-Z , the serial no. , Manufacturer name and product no. Was missing which all indicates that ot is a fake stick. I am not asking to check if it is working , fake rams will also work but they will go bad in a short period of time.

30 minutes ago, Vivank said:

My friend bought a ram from the same place. It shkwed the correct speed and capacity in the bios. When he came home and checked CPU-Z , the serial no. , Manufacturer name and product no. Was missing which all indicates that ot is a fake stick. I am not asking to check if it is working , fake rams will also work but they will go bad in a short period of time.

Hence MemTestX86...

43 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

They can fake the names, IDs and stuff so the BIOS will recognize it as legit, same with the fake USB sticks, fake SSDs or external drives, there were even fake CPUs some years ago...

memtest is better

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Usually the brand name is printed on both, sticker and the chips. So if you see that the brand name does not mach to the one on the chips there is a chance that it may be fake.

benchmarks is bestests

China is the global capitol of the world in counterfeiting!

12 hours ago, Vivank said:

Well, buy any peripheral with original GST bill, clearly mentioning the RAM part number and serial number. Fake or original, the bill is required for warranty. Unless you buy from roadside vendor. A bill ensures all in place.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-7940X, Motherboard: MSI X299 TOMAHAWK AC, Ram: 64 GB G Skill Ripjaws 16gb x 4, Graphics Card: GTX 1070 8gb, Storage: Samsung Evo 850 Seagate Baracuda 2tb x 2, Display: LG 27ud68p-b 4k.

Let there be light I Cinebench: 3208https://in.pcpartpicker.com/list/vcGNP3