What brought YOU to PC gaming and building?

halomaster8000

I was just really curious as to what brought people into this hobby. For me, it was because I started to get sick of Microsoft's crap, I wanted a gaming system that would let me play online for free, games that weren't overpriced and more storage and uses. I first went over to my pops when I was in early year 8 and I managed to find some parts being a core 2 quad (I forgot the model) and a gigabyte motherboard that didn't work. I ended up buying an Aussie p5 (something something) and I had put it together. I found a xt 2600x lying around and a case that had a broken front panel. It's was crap but I loved it and maintained it until I could afford something flash. It was cool and even though it would bring me some days of non stop rage filling troubleshooting. I don't even ever remember seeing one of those errors that windows 10 always manages to do. I remember having to open the case though because the airflow was crappy and that ATI card was very hot... And very slow. It even had a tiny little fan ?. Then one day I managed to buy myself a decent system with some overkill parts.

I bought a r9 270

Pentium g4560

Some Chinese case

AsRock b250 fatal1ty k4

A corsair FORCE Series 3 120GB

And some fans. Then I went from there. This build took me months to save up and a remember having the piles of parts just sitting there and me opening them up to check if their still in there ? (what? I was excited). I had built multiple computers for family and fixed multiple computers for family aswell. So that helped me out as they would buy me a part. So what's your story?

My dad. He loves games, bought a gaming computer when I was a kid. Then he'd constantly upgrade it, so I just took parts out of his upgrade pile when I built my first system when I was 19. After that I just bought my own stuff.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I don't even remember xD 

World of Warships! Played back in closed alpha on my 2011 iMac with a Radeon HD 6520M dGPU with 512MB of VRAM :P 

(back when an entry level iMac came with a dGPU :()

Could only play at 1080p on medium detail settings so I upgraded to the rig I built and use now with a 4690k and an R9 380 4GB. 

(oddly enough my iMac still has more RAM than my PC 12GB vs 4GB)

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

My dad worked at Digital and that early access to PCs just lead to a natural interest in them.

Memory is a little fuzzy but it would have started around 1990-1992 (so I would have been 4-6).  We had a couple PCs in that time frame, DOS-based obviously, which included my interest in a game called The Legend of Tully Bodine which came out in 1995, among some others like Pitfall. I tried searching for the models the PCs would have been but haven't had much luck. 

We went from DOS to Windows 95 so I missed using 3.1, but the next PC I remember having was a Digital one with a Pentium Pro 200Mhz. I was stuck on that PC until 2001 when I bought my first "gaming" PC with a P4 1.7Ghz, 512MB of RAM (though I think I upgraded to 1GB), 60GB hard drive and a GeForce 2 MX 64MB. 

The further I got into the gaming community and online life, I learned more about what was out there for custom PCs, and I started building my own after that.

3 minutes ago, divito said:

My dad worked at Digital and that early access to PCs just lead to a natural interest in them.

Memory is a little fuzzy but it would have started around 1990-1992 (so I would have been 4-6).  We had a couple PCs in that time frame, DOS-based obviously, which included my interest in a game called The Legend of Tully Bodine which came out in 1995, among some others like Pitfall. I tried searching for the models the PCs would have been but haven't had much luck. 

We went from DOS to Windows 95 so I missed using 3.1, but the next PC I remember having was a Digital one with a Pentium Pro 200Mhz. I was stuck on that PC until 2001 when I bought my first "gaming" PC with a P4 1.7Ghz, 512MB of RAM (though I think I upgraded to 1GB), 60GB hard drive and a GeForce 2 MX 64MB. 

The further I got into the gaming community and online life, I learned more about what was out there for custom PCs, and I started building my own after that.

Damn, I bet the technology has improved super fast for you. The furthest back I remember is windows XP. I used to try and play halo on it ? when I was 5. I missed the golden age of retro games ? I just got the improved AAA part. I wish I was alive when the Xbox came out and halo came out. I wonder what I would have thought of it. 

It's just where I always played games on.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

It's just where I always played games on.

Me and my friend used to fight about what's better in grade 5. I used to say that Xbox always had better graphics. I would say that Xbox was so much better and he would say that it's stupid. Then one day I came over and played his PC and I played games that weren't 15fps for the first time in my life... Now here I am lol

One of my older brothers got the first PC in the house, and I'm assuming he made it possible for me to eventually get my own PC and upgrades to it. Being young I would of course happily use anything I could get my hands on, categorically I still do. No one kept handing me new consoles over the years, but my PC grew with me. First full build followed ten or so years after the first contact, years surrounding that were also my personal peak for the PC hype.

1. Parents taught me about computer stuff (Used to work at MSI one of them)

2. Cousin builds PCs

3. Uncle/Aunt computer enthusiasts 

4. It's fun

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Gaming? Well, we had cousin who owned Super Nintendo and later Win95 with Action Supercross, Worms, Tommi Mäkinen Rally and so on. So when our family got PC with Win95, we started to get those kind of games. Later Age of Empires 2, Settlers 3 also from family friends influence. And then some fps when WinXP got into picture with last prebuild bought by our family (AthlonXP, Radeon 9600+).

Building? At that point (2002/3 maybe) I started reading new PC magazine and get more into hardware. So much that I would do upgrades on that prebuild. I actually build first full custom 2008 after moving out from parents. When neither my laptop nor that upgraded prebuild (it had Athlon64 something and GT 8600 GTS) could run games I was playing at the time (BF2 and CoD4). My DVD drive is only thing still somewhat working from that 2008 build (actually mobo, RAM, cooler are too, just not in this build).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

My first touch with games was back in 2005-2006 or so when I played a rally game on my parents Windows XP. After that I got a PS2 on which I played Ratchet and Clank all day all night, figuring out what to do since I didn't know English back then.

I got into building and PC hardware just before 7th grade (4-5 years ago) and went on some kind of a PC building course at the local University of Applied Sciences. I met my new best friend there who I talked with in teamspeak for the next 3 years, until he got into trouble for DDoSing city and government sites and Finnish banks. Basically all of his friends (including me) created their own group and left him out. We still talk sometimes.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

My old man. I was 7 years old when he took me a computer convention in Port Elizabeth in South Africa. Everything blew my mind; and we left with a Creative 3D Blaster; a joystick, and Mechwarrior 2. 

It changed everything for me.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

On 4/7/2018 at 6:53 PM, halomaster8000 said:

I was just really curious as to what brought people into this hobby. For me, it was because I started to get sick of Microsoft's crap, I wanted a gaming system that would let me play online for free, games that weren't overpriced and more storage and uses. I first went over to my pops when I was in early year 8 and I managed to find some parts being a core 2 quad (I forgot the model) and a gigabyte motherboard that didn't work. I ended up buying an Aussie p5 (something something) and I had put it together. I found a xt 2600x lying around and a case that had a broken front panel. It's was crap but I loved it and maintained it until I could afford something flash. It was cool and even though it would bring me some days of non stop rage filling troubleshooting. I don't even ever remember seeing one of those errors that windows 10 always manages to do. I remember having to open the case though because the airflow was crappy and that ATI card was very hot... And very slow. It even had a tiny little fan ?. Then one day I managed to buy myself a decent system with some overkill parts.

I bought a r9 270

Pentium g4560

Some Chinese case

AsRock b250 fatal1ty k4

A corsair FORCE Series 3 120GB

And some fans. Then I went from there. This build took me months to save up and a remember having the piles of parts just sitting there and me opening them up to check if their still in there ? (what? I was excited). I had built multiple computers for family and fixed multiple computers for family aswell. So that helped me out as they would buy me a part. So what's your story?

So i've always been a mainly a pc gamer. Ive went rogue and played console games and bought a console once or twice but ive always enjoyed pc more. Especially multiplayer fps games. I started out playing Unreal Tournament 1999 back when i was a toddler, from there i went on inheriting each of older my brothers gaming pc's when he bought or made a new one. I actually didn't build my own PC until Battlefield 3 (so 2011, i was 19 or 20 years old at that time.). That was a very good build for me to run Battlefield 3. in fact a guy on this forum helped me with the build, i dont know his name or if he still comes on here but god bless him whoever he is. 

If there was any real point where I was showed what PC gaming was, it was probably way back in elementary school when there was a computer lab (probably with original Apple II machines) and my parents owned a computer. Though PC gaming was basically just another platform to play on, and way back when, PC games weren't exactly any better than console ones (le gasp!). But I do remember playing games like Crusader: No Remorse, One Must Fall 2097, and Quake. That all picked up around 2001 though when I finally had my own PC instead of a shared one. And I tinkered with that one for a bit before my dad built me a custom one two years later that I've also tinkered with.

Though it was a friend in high school that really perked my interest in custom built PCs.

The main things that pulled me towards PC gaming were Minecraft and my old laptop that could only runs things like CSGO but it was really good fun.