S8/S9 vs V30, taking price into consideration?

Noirgheos

Being in Canada, phones are quite expensive.

S8: $800 CAD

V30: $870 CAD

S9: $950 CAD

I'm quite new to the high-end scene, only ever owning low to mid-range Android phones before. I've checked basic things like camera comparisons, battery life, etc. They all satisfy me, but which, in your experience, would be the most reliable? Not really speaking about updates, as I know both Samsung and LG are pretty terrible when it comes to those, but just general day-to-day use, overall QoL. Is the V30 worth the $80 over the S8, or the S9 $150 over it?

Or should I just go for the A8+ 2018, at around $670?

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Depends... If price is important to you, definitely take the S8. If having a good camera is what you need, take the S9. If audio quality is important, take the V30. Overall, they are all good phones like you said.

I would go S9 if you can, but the S8 is very nice too. V30 is only worth it if you like the DAC.

19 minutes ago, Noirgheos said:

Just get a One Plus 5?

Otherwise buy whatever has a Snapdragon 845

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

S9 doesn't offer anything to warrant the price difference over the V30.

1 hour ago, Noirgheos said:

S8: $800 CAD

Buy that one only because its the cheapest.

I have a $25 iphone 5

you buying outright or u on extra $15/m ontop of your min/data/text plan for that phone

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

Buy that one only because its the cheapest.

I have a $25 iphone 5

you buying outright or u on extra $15/m ontop of your min/data/text plan for that phone

Outright. I'll still be using my plan from 2011, which is $18 a month for unlimited text, 50 minutes of talk, and that's it. Nothing special otherwise.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

If cost is at all a consideration for you then I would recommend the S8+ considering just how much cheaper than the S9+ you can likely find one for.  Samsung currently makes the very best Android phones in my opinion and that design language started with the S8/S8+ (a design that the S9 is mostly just an evolution of).  You still get the gorgeous 6.2" AMOLED Infinity Display, one of the best cameras in the business, 4GB of system memory, etc.  The S9 does have some nice features that are absent on the S8 such as stereo speakers, more memory (on the Plus model), the dual cameras, etc, but its going to cost a lot more than you can likely find an S8+ for.

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

I agree with @MegaTechPC on the S9+. I find the smaller version a little too small, plus you get a much larger battery. If you don't mind spending the extra, then I'd go for the S9+ with it's better camera and better build quality. I wouldn't get the LG V30. Loved the phone on paper, but the camera isn't nearly as good as the Samsung.

3 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Just get a One Plus 5?

Otherwise buy whatever has a Snapdragon 845

IIRC it's no longer available in North America.

3 hours ago, Mooshi said:

S9 doesn't offer anything to warrant the price difference over the V30.

Much better camera. Subjectively better battery life.

2 hours ago, Noirgheos said:

Outright. I'll still be using my plan from 2011, which is $18 a month for unlimited text, 50 minutes of talk, and that's it. Nothing special otherwise.

Why not go with Koodo's pay as you go plan? It's only $15 a month for unlimited text. No talk, but you can buy a booster pack of 500 minutes for $25. If you don't talk much, it can last for ages. You can also add data as you need.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

34 minutes ago, dizmo said:

There's still plenty available to purchase, the 5T was only a minor upgrade wasn't it?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

There's still plenty available to purchase, the 5T was only a minor upgrade wasn't it?

It's not available either :P

You can source them from third parties, but I have a feeling since he's buying new and outright he wants a warranty.

Yeah, the T was basically just a quick money grab IMO.

The 6 should be right around the corner though. They've already started advertising.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

46 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It's not available either :P

You can source them from third parties, but I have a feeling since he's buying new and outright he wants a warranty.

Yeah, the T was basically just a quick money grab IMO.

The 6 should be right around the corner though. They've already started advertising.

The 6 has a notch so it belongs in the trash though

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

The 6 has a notch so it belongs in the trash though

Believe it or not, not everyone hates the notch ;)

Plus you can disable it.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Believe it or not, not everyone hates the notch ;)

Plus you can disable it.

That's even dumber though, I've rather have a bezel and get the extra pixels lost due to the notch back

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

That's even dumber though, I've rather have a bezel and get the extra pixels lost due to the notch back

Not everyone does, this helps please those that don't want it.

Bottom line, you can't please everybody. This at least helps a percentage of those that would be otherwise annoyed.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Not everyone does, this helps please those that don't want it.

Bottom line, you can't please everybody. This at least helps a percentage of those that would be otherwise annoyed.

I hate apple so much for this newest meme

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

I hate apple so much for this newest meme

And yet, they weren't the first to do it. Go figure.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

31 minutes ago, dizmo said:

And yet, they weren't the first to do it. Go figure.

That part doesn't matter, people just copy whatever apple is doing, very sad.

Spoiler

50 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

That part doesn't matter, people just copy whatever apple is doing, very sad.

Then you shouldn't be hating apple for it as its not their fault companies are copying everything they do as its not like they actively do anything to promote other companies to copy them...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

12 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Then you shouldn't be hating apple for it as its not their fault companies are copying everything they do as its not like they actively do anything to promote other companies to copy them...

I mean they could not start dumb memes like no headphone jack and notches.

Spoiler

6 hours ago, MegaTechPC said:

If cost is at all a consideration for you then I would recommend the S8+ considering just how much cheaper than the S9+ you can likely find one for.  Samsung currently makes the very best Android phones in my opinion and that design language started with the S8/S8+ (a design that the S9 is mostly just an evolution of).  You still get the gorgeous 6.2" AMOLED Infinity Display, one of the best cameras in the business, 4GB of system memory, etc.  The S9 does have some nice features that are absent on the S8 such as stereo speakers, more memory (on the Plus model), the dual cameras, etc, but its going to cost a lot more than you can likely find an S8+ for.

6 hours ago, dizmo said:

I agree with @MegaTechPC on the S9+. I find the smaller version a little too small, plus you get a much larger battery. If you don't mind spending the extra, then I'd go for the S9+ with it's better camera and better build quality. I wouldn't get the LG V30. Loved the phone on paper, but the camera isn't nearly as good as the Samsung.

Much better camera. Subjectively better battery life.

Why not go with Koodo's pay as you go plan? It's only $15 a month for unlimited text. No talk, but you can buy a booster pack of 500 minutes for $25. If you don't talk much, it can last for ages. You can also add data as you need.

S9+ is $1100, so that's out of the question.

As for the S8+, the cheapest I can find in Canada is $950, same for a normal S9. At that point, I'd grab the normal S9 for the SD845.

The thing about the V30 is that I don't really care much about the camera, it works and looks nice (and I've heard in manual mode, can look even better than an S8), it's just that it's cheaper than the S8+ and normal S9. Though I absolutely don't mind the size of the normal S8 or S9 phones. Although for the S9, things like the touch deadzone issues and black crush kind of turn me off from spending more on it.

Also note, the V30 is the V30+, so extra storage I guess.

1 hour ago, Noirgheos said:

S9+ is $1100, so that's out of the question.

As for the S8+, the cheapest I can find in Canada is $950, same for a normal S9. At that point, I'd grab the normal S9 for the SD845.

The thing about the V30 is that I don't really care much about the camera, it works and looks nice (and I've heard in manual mode, can look even better than an S8), it's just that it's cheaper than the S8+ and normal S9. Though I absolutely don't mind the size of the normal S8 or S9 phones. Although for the S9, things like the touch deadzone issues and black crush kind of turn me off from spending more on it.

Also note, the V30 is the V30+, so extra storage I guess.

What makes you want to go with the SD845? Just curious, because the difference between SoCs is usually pretty minimal. If you don't care about the camera, I'd just get whatever's cheapest as long as you're getting a warranty with the LG. They're hit and miss with their products. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

38 minutes ago, dizmo said:

What makes you want to go with the SD845? Just curious, because the difference between SoCs is usually pretty minimal. If you don't care about the camera, I'd just get whatever's cheapest as long as you're getting a warranty with the LG. They're hit and miss with their products. 

Neither the V30 or S8 would come with a warranty. Getting them unlocked from Newegg.ca, so probably just the bog standard two-month Newegg policy.

I did see a refurbished S8+ for $669 though. Think it's worth it from Newegg?

3 hours ago, Noirgheos said:

Neither the V30 or S8 would come with a warranty. Getting them unlocked from Newegg.ca, so probably just the bog standard two-month Newegg policy.

I did see a refurbished S8+ for $669 though. Think it's worth it from Newegg?

Why wouldn't they? I don't think Newegg is considered a grey market retailer. I'm pretty sure you'd still be covered by the manufacturer warranty. 

Eh. I wouldn't. I'm not a fan of Newegg to begin with, let alone their refurb stuff. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

That's weird that you can't find an S8+ for less money than that.  I mean, I got my Note 8 on promo from Best Buy for $585 so I would think the S8+ could be found for pretty cheap nowadays.  Of course my Note 8 isn't unlocked (which I don't care about because I've been a life-long Verizon customer) so maybe that's why?  I dunno...

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res