Aspects of Console Gaming that PC Just Can't Match

minervx
4 hours ago, ImNotDeViLzzz said:

I had a GTX 1080 Ti at one time playing in 4K ....

enough said.

Just a 1080ti? Thats impressive! What did you watch it on?

5 hours ago, Cole5 said:

Just a 1080ti? Thats impressive! What did you watch it on?

It is an impressive card and I had it hooked up to a 4K tv from Sony that actually rated well for gaming.  It definitely was something a console could not match.  Again sad I stupidly sold the card and heck I didn't even sell it when people were paying ridiculous amounts for it used. : S

6 minutes ago, ImNotDeViLzzz said:

It is an impressive card and I had it hooked up to a 4K tv from Sony that actually rated well for gaming.  It definitely was something a console could not match.  Again sad I stupidly sold the card and heck I didn't even sell it when people were paying ridiculous amounts for it used. : S

RiP

SO you just plunged a 400 (or was it 700?) Dollar card into a tv and just played games in it? I Need that TV

9 hours ago, Cole5 said:

RiP

SO you just plunged a 400 (or was it 700?) Dollar card into a tv and just played games in it? I Need that TV

1080 Ti's MSRP is $650, but most people don't sell it for that much (even without price gouging), so $700-$750 sounds about right.

I have some pretty decent PCs and all the consoles.

Personally, I like just sitting my butt on a couch and using the consoles.  Far less headache and I don't have to troubleshoot those.  Considering I do IT tech level job, I rather not have to troubleshoot if I want to do just some bit of gaming or just throw a Blu-Ray or UHD HDR disc in.   Things are pretty good media machines that just work.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 3/29/2018 at 11:31 AM, Damascus said:

Not if you're running a system that draws like 60w from the wall

Not where I live.  Again, this is entirely subjective but pc part are far cheaper than consoles in Ottawa

My original argument used a cpu from 2009 and a gpu from early 2013 so your point is moot

Keep in mind that the Ryzen 3 2200G 60-65W for gaming by itself - let alone any other system components. With higher CPU demanding tasks, it can pull upwards of 100W.

So no, you're not just pulling 60W from the wall.

I wouldn't trust that PSU much at all, even if the rated load capacity is above the typical system load.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

To be fair, Windows is pretty easy to work with when it comes to drivers. Nowadays, it just finds it for you and installs it. If you're using an Xbox controller, it may already have them so downloading them won't even be a thing, and I would say that switching between keyboard/mouse and controller is pretty seamlesss. And consoles absolutely do have issues. My own PS4 has had issues where applications like Plex crash, and I also imagine games do crash or fail to load at times for others. 

Don't forget that you can use a PS4 or Xbox One controller on a PC without any real mumbo jumbo, other than making sure the buttons are assigned correctly. People also do change the default layout on controllers if they can, and I can also imagine people also would use a custom layout if they could.

Since consoles also have software updates, components of the update can certainly break things, and there's nothing you can do because you can't just not install the update - some games will not run on a console with outdated software.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

• 2 weeks later...

I think the social aspect of consoles are more common. In my case I can play all the Fortnite I want on pc with a select few friends on/with PC(s) but everyone seems to have a console. 

For alot of friends who are PC illiterate who sit pretty browsing with their HP Streams, console offers gaming on a simple level. Games come out, they go in the console and you play vs PC games come out, your getting 25fps on low settings, cant play unless you upgrade hardware = €€€

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:34 PM, Damascus said:

I've never run into an issue on windows I couldn't fix within a few minutes but when I was on ps4 I needed to disassemble it to fix a software bug (not kidding)

The hell did you do that you needed to disassemble it?!?! I'm curious now, 

Like I don't have a PS4 and only an XB one and a mid spec tower I would assume but have never ran into something that cause me to dismantle my Xbox (I do some stupid shit on it so I am surprised) or my Pc Unless cleaning. Like I have ran into many errors/problems with windows which have just been resolved with a Restart of the PC. or a kick to the case (No joke that actually in froze my pc)

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

45 minutes ago, Alex Colson said:

The hell did you do that you needed to disassemble it?!?! I'm curious now, 

Like I don't have a PS4 and only an XB one and a mid spec tower I would assume but have never ran into something that cause me to dismantle my Xbox (I do some stupid shit on it so I am surprised) or my Pc Unless cleaning. Like I have ran into many errors/problems with windows which have just been resolved with a Restart of the PC. or a kick to the case (No joke that actually in froze my pc)

There's a bug (?) with ps4's that makes updating the system fail unless you disconnect the DVD drive, reboot and update.  Then plug it back in.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Damascus said:

There's a bug (?) with ps4's that makes updating the system fail unless you disconnect the DVD drive, reboot and update.  Then plug it back in.

That is some 'Bug'

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

On 3/25/2018 at 1:06 PM, minervx said:

Operating System

Both PS4's and X1's are relatively simple, easy to use, no endless mess of menus, minimal interruptions, no driver issues and other types of issues.  No spending a half hour diagnosing OS problems.  Windows, apart from the fact that it is capable of playing games, is just not a fun OS to interact with.

Plug and Play

Controllers (for the most part) work instantly - no need to download drivers, DS4 and/or map the buttons.  Games install where they need to go - no need to spend time troubleshooting why a certain game won't run.  Streaming onto Youtube and Twitch can be done on console with ease; it doesn't require downloading the right video recorder (and none of the wrong ones) and then editing the settings.

Lower Input Cost

There's no realistic gaming PC  that can be had for $200-300.  Yes, PC gaming is cheaper in the long-run if you don't go for the high-end gear and if you don't upgrade parts every year, but we all know 90% of us don't do that.

Better living room experience

Being honest, PC has technically could be used in the living room, but it's not living room friendly.  Windows isn't living room friendly.  It could be tweaked to be such, but that would take a time-investment counter-intuitive to someone who is tired from work and wants to relax.  Steam's Big Picture, Geforce Experience and other launchers also need work.  

I prefer my PC because I do other demanding work on it, but for those that don't really need a PC, having a laptop/ipad plus a console to manage all of their needs is not bad at all.

I would add a couple things to this as well

Number one being console exclusives.  Unless Nintendo goes totally bankrupt you just are not going to get Mario Odyssey or Zelda Breath of the Wild on PC not legally anyway.  Plus there is the physical release concept of it too and limited editions if you're into that.  Sadly the days of big box PC games is pretty much over. 

I would also caveat living room experience.  For me personally working IT for 9 to 10 hours a day the last thing I want to do at the end of the day is stare at a computer screen.  However, I'm more inclined to chill out a few feet away from a TV and play Yakuza or Mario Odyssey for a couple hours.

On 31/03/2018 at 3:13 AM, Cole5 said:

RiP

The tv was the following model ...

XBR-49X700D

It cost $499.99 Canadian when I bought it.

On 4/19/2018 at 2:14 PM, ImNotDeViLzzz said:

The tv was the following model ...

XBR-49X700D

It cost $499.99 Canadian when I bought it.

I think your misunderstanding the sticking point 

I just want to ad to this conversation that consoles have a much lower power draw than a regular gaming PC. The highest power draw I've seen on current consoles (Switch not included, duh) is a sudden peak at 184w, and that is on an Xbox One X 4k Enhanced Game (Halo 5). As such, even though you're not getting the absolute best in performance you are still going to pay far less in electrical costs as opposed to a rig rocking, say, a GTX 1080Ti with typical power draw well above any console by a large margin. To me, who pays 28 cents per kWh, having an efficient machine is more practical than a faster one, especially when it's you who's footing the bill.

13 hours ago, SamuraiSalesman said:

I just want to ad to this conversation that consoles have a much lower power draw than a regular gaming PC. The highest power draw I've seen on current consoles (Switch not included, duh) is a sudden peak at 184w, and that is on an Xbox One X 4k Enhanced Game (Halo 5). As such, even though you're not getting the absolute best in performance you are still going to pay far less in electrical costs as opposed to a rig rocking, say, a GTX 1080Ti with typical power draw well above any console by a large margin. To me, who pays 28 cents per kWh, having an efficient machine is more practical than a faster one, especially when it's you who's footing the bill.

While consoles do chew up less energy while active than PCs, they tend to eat up a lot more energy in their "sleep" modes than computers since their sleep mode features include downloading stuff on the side or receiving random updates. The XBX in the "instant on" mode uses up 10W. Though the PS4 Pro is worse at about 50W.

Even then, you also have to look at performance per watt. But if your requirement is more towards absolute power consumption than performance, then there's that.

Mining with 2 Rx480(8gb each) + i5 2500k + ssd + hdd + 850w silver + crappy monitor turned on + not more than 330w (on a meter).

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

While consoles do chew up less energy while active than PCs, they tend to eat up a lot more energy in their "sleep" modes than computers since their sleep mode features include downloading stuff on the side or receiving random updates. The XBX in the "instant on" mode uses up 10W. Though the PS4 Pro is worse at about 50W.

Even then, you also have to look at performance per watt. But if your requirement is more towards absolute power consumption than performance, then there's that.

This is why I put mine on a switch. When I finish using it, I just trip the power. Zero watts for me.

3 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

True but the user made a conscious decision to turn "Instant-On", on. It provides defined benefits, keeping the system up to date with system and game updates, as well as turning back on near instantaneously.

With a PC, even if you put it to sleep, it's not really going to be doing anything in the background.

Should you disable "Instant-On", the Xbox will consume significantly less power (though I'm sure there will still be some small amount of trickle power).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 3/25/2018 at 2:29 PM, manikyath said:

elitedesk_mini_product3_tcm_184_1545819.

scratch that one out your argument, and you're all good ;)

That's really glib.  Yes, there are PC's with compact form factors, but they either can't game well, or you're paying a more money for a small form factor.

To match an Xbox One X, you'll need an Intel i3, a GTX 1070, a 4GB stick of RAM at least, a case like the Node 202 and a cooler like the Noctua L9i.  That's easily nearly double the cost.

Herein lies the problem.  The "PC is better for gaming all-around" side of the fence will argue that PC's can do anything, but in normal, practical cases, they don't.

Yes, there are affordable PC's. 

Yes, there are compact PC's. 

And yes, there are PC's with decent good gaming performance. 

But there are no PC's right now that are all 3, like a console is.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

10 minutes ago, minervx said:

That's really glib.  Yes, there are PC's with compact form factors, but they either can't game well, or you're paying a more money for a small form factor.

To match an Xbox One X, you'll need an Intel i3, a GTX 1070, a 4GB stick of RAM at least, a case like the Node 202 and a cooler like the Noctua L9i.  That's easily nearly double the cost.

if you'd have read what i replied to (a month ago) you'd remember that was about your description a mac, not about a console.

also gtx 1070 <=> xbox one x feels a bit off, but i cba to dig up numbers on it.

Fair point lol.

X1 is probably in between a 1060 and 1070, cuz it can game at 4K.  Though not at what we'd call high settings.

cpu between g4560 and i38100?

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

19 minutes ago, minervx said:

es, there are affordable PC's. 

Yes, there are compact PC's. 

And yes, there are PC's with decent good gaming performance. 

But there are no PC's right now that are all 3, like a console is.

my media center pc is painfully close to all 3 of those, reason it isnt is because i went for dead silent over performance. if i'd have spent 20 bucks more, and didnt spend budget on 100% fanless operation, i'd have had a <$500 pc that ran circles around its same era PS4's ;)

not that by that i mean that consoles are a bad idea, just to reiterate my original point (from a month ago); consoles have their place, but IMO its not where you're placing it. they are not in any way superior over a PC, a console's biggest advantage is in being "less". a console is a box that plays games, the mere fact you're trying to enumerate how much "better" is is, beats out what is IMO the core benefit of a console: you dont *have* to care, it just freaking works.

47 minutes ago, minervx said:

X1 is probably in between a 1060 and 1070, cuz it can game at 4K.  Though not at what we'd call high settings.

The GPU is likely a non-existant Polaris 40, given it should be a recent GCN architecture and it has 2560 CUs. The rumor mills like to call it a RX 590 (even though it never existed) So take whatever the RX 580 can do and multiply it accordingly.

47 minutes ago, minervx said:

cpu between g4560 and i38100?

Probably not even that considering it's still Jaguar and Jaguar is a Netbook class architecture.

I don't think either PC gaming or consoles are inherently better.  Both do different things.  But there's still various aspects in which consoles are superior: gaming performance to price, convenience, form factor, user-friendliness, accessible, consistency. 

PC's can be like consoles in this regard, but there's too many asterisks.

"PC gaming is better because of graphics and frame rates"

"But it's way more expensive"

"Well you can build a PC under $500 if you find all of these insane rare ebay deals"

"But those deals are outliers and with that logic I can just get a $100 console"

"Okay, here's a more realistic $500 PC build list"

"Well now this PC's graphics and framerate are worse than consoles"