The Laptop to Buy Right Now - LG Gram 2018 Review

Dave2D mentioned in his review that the 15 inch model thermal throttles a ton while attempting to use an egpu, but Linus says it ramps up very nicely. Who is correct?

Also, how does this compare to the Samsung Notebook 9, which seems like the same product except cheaper and more powerful.

36 minutes ago, Kevin Chou said:

Dave2D mentioned in his review that the 15 inch model thermal throttles a ton while attempting to use an egpu, but Linus says it ramps up very nicely. Who is correct?

Also, how does this compare to the Samsung Notebook 9, which seems like the same product except cheaper and more powerful.

I'm wondering the same as well.

I am seriously considering getting a 15" model, but have second thoughts about its thermal performance and may just get a XPS

I'm poor. How did I even make enough to get all of this.

Main build:

Intel i5-3570k, EVGA 980ti (reference), Gigabyte Z77-D3H, 4x8gb DDR3 (1 kit of Corsair, 1 kit of G.skill), Crucial M500 960gb SSD, Seagate 3tb HDD

Backup build:

AMD Phenom II X6 1045t (OC to 3.7ghz) + Cooler Master Hyper TX3, Asus Sabertooth 990FX, NVidia Quadro FX3800, 4x2gb DDR3, 240gb SanDisk Extreme SSD

3 hours ago, howasaur said:

I'm wondering the same as well.

I am seriously considering getting a 15" model, but have second thoughts about its thermal performance and may just get a XPS

The XPS doesn't offer a 1060 model though. Honestly at this price point invest in something like a Razer Blade.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

24 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

The XPS doesn't offer a 1060 model though. Honestly at this price point invest in something like a Razer Blade.

https://www.amazon.com/HIDevolution-Gigabyte-15W-BK4-i7-7700HQ-Compound/dp/B072K1C99Z/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1520186347&sr=1-6&keywords=HIDevolution&refinements=p_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A562241011

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

7 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

That's a good option too.

and it's a seller that puts in the good paste on the gpu and cpu. I'd by this laptop if the mobile CPU market wasn't weird. I'm waiting on a coffelake HQ processor and maybe a new nvidia gpu to come out.

Hey I'm a newbie to the forum, I know my decent lot about computers though. 

My main issue is I don't know what would be better a high end laptop, or my own build of a pc. Although im struggling to find a decent small case because I need portability for my pc build. So I'm wondering if switching to a laptop would be a better option. But this will Stop my investment being affordable, because laptops are normally alot more expensive, and less powerful then something like a well built pc.

Someone please give me a suggestion.

10 hours ago, jefire411 said:

and it's a seller that puts in the good paste on the gpu and cpu. I'd by this laptop if the mobile CPU market wasn't weird. I'm waiting on a coffelake HQ processor and maybe a new nvidia gpu to come out.

You'll be waiting a while - it takes some time to mobilify new GPUs

She/they 

If I wasn't broke all the time because I own a house I'd buy this, but only the one with thunderbolt.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

My entire life is references to TV shows and Memes.

Dell OptiPlex GX1, Intel Pentium 3 @ 450MHz, 128MB PC133 RAM, Windows 98 Second Edition, Office 97' Professional

7 hours ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

You'll be waiting a while - it takes some time to mobilify new GPUs

speaking fo this particlar laptop, Gigabyte's teaser video suggest a 144hz panel. I'm fine with that, but it also looks iek they made it thinner, which would mean worse thermals if they haven't done anything to improve on it. 

If it was just a little prettier I'd buy a nice 13 inch gram as a gift to my parents. I'd almost be embarrassed gifting this to my parents hahah. That battery life is really nice but the looks... Maybe there are covers on sale somewhere lol

Does anyone know if the laptop supports raid?

3 hours ago, radman180 said:

Does anyone know if the laptop supports raid?

Yup, it has two M.2 slots, only at SATA speeds though.

• 3 months later...

Cool,, but can't seem to find where i would buy one in Canada...?

Anyone had better luck?

On 6/30/2018 at 6:35 PM, Samvmp said:

Cool,, but can't seem to find where i would buy one in Canada...?

Anyone had better luck?

Nope.