Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

I need some suggestions, I'd like to get an old PC bootable for someone, anyone know of any installed Windows 98 SE or Windows XP disk images I can just write to a blank drive, pop in the PC, and boot? I don't fancy wasting a CD and doing a long long install if there's a shortcut to be had, or dicking with loading drivers on a floppy or burning a bunch of failed install disks with missing drivers. I want all the win and none of the pain lol.

Old Windows doesn't like being moved to hardware it didn't have the chance to detect during install very much. 

Assuming you have a suitable adapter take the HDD out, copy the Win CD to it, put it back, boot from floppy, launch install from hdd.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I have a SNES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)

image.jpg

11 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Old Windows doesn't like being moved to hardware it didn't have the chance to detect during install very much. 

Assuming you have a suitable adapter take the HDD out, copy the Win CD to it, put it back, boot from floppy, launch install from hdd.

I think I can get 32bit Ubuntu 16.04 working on it, I'll try tonight. At least that let's Prime95 run for some basic stability testing. I wish I had a SD to IDE and I could just install to it on a different PC to drop into this one but oh well. One burnt CD won't kill me...if the optical drive works. Either way someone is getting some stuff tomorrow.

20210708_205050.thumb.jpg.fcf261d44f2a6390f6341429efedb16d.jpg20210708_205255.thumb.jpg.575a7ee401584635f7ad7dd945dfde6e.jpg20210708_211842.thumb.jpg.f24a3abf4623b8842be793798804180a.jpg

It's not great and it needs caps bad, but it posts and I'd like to see it boot to a desktop because I feel bad about the 3.4E and P4C800 being possibly bad parts. I also found the 4GB of DDR400, 1GB sticks were pretty baller back in the day. It's the good good HyperX stuff too. Also gets my LeadTek Winfast GeForce3 which is some kind of special model or something I think. I'll just be happy to get my car out for a drive and make someone else happy with my old stuff.

https://hothardware.com/reviews/leadtek-winfast-geforce3-td

Yeah I think that's the card, it has faster memory than reference designs and better cooling so they would OC more. Oh look, it can do 1080P!

Wow those caps are in awful shape...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

15 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Wow those caps are in awful shape...

I'm shocked it POSTs myself! But at least we know it has a working CPU and at least partially functional motherboard for @FakeKGB to use for troubleshooting. I have the tools to recap but not the time or the parts. I'm going to see how much it would cost for the parts, I may just do it before I give it to him so I know I'm not giving him junk. 

Do caps on video cards fare better? The GeForce3 is just as old.

I don't think there's a general rule, just depends what type of caps they used and whether they were manufactured during the capacitor plague era and an affected type...

I have 35 year old devices that work just fine and the caps don't show any bulging/leaking. 

F@H

GPD Win 2

5 hours ago, BabyBlueX16 said:

I have a SNES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System)

image.jpg

man those snes's always yellow

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

man those snes's always yellow

man those NTSC snes always different

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

2 hours ago, Kanna said:

man those NTSC snes always different

Isn't a non ntsc SNES not a SNES?

Weren't they called the super famicom?

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

17 minutes ago, Bitter said:

memes-of-the-week-7-9-21-5.jpg

Wait y'all stopped doing it?

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

@Bitter I checked on all the items I'm hoping to buy and the GPU waterblock got bought.

Thankfully the CPU waterblock is still there, so I'll be getting that ASAP.

elephants

20 hours ago, Bitter said:

I need some suggestions, I'd like to get an old PC bootable for someone, anyone know of any installed Windows 98 SE or Windows XP disk images I can just write to a blank drive, pop in the PC, and boot? I don't fancy wasting a CD and doing a long long install if there's a shortcut to be had, or dicking with loading drivers on a floppy or burning a bunch of failed install disks with missing drivers. I want all the win and none of the pain lol.

not really, no.

You can install 98/2k/xp to a disk and swap said disk into another machine and in 9/10 cases, it should at least boot.  Naturally, the closer the install machine to the target one, the easier the swap is.  Windows is pretty forgiving.  

Compaq board has 11 6.3V 2200uf caps on it that are all leaking or bulged or both.

https://www.amazon.com/pcs-Panasonic-FM-Capacitors-2200uf/dp/B073YQZJ3S/

Would these be the correct parts? If so I think I'll just order them and recap this board myself before I hand it off to @FakeKGB cause I want to make sure he's got a solid base to troubleshoot socket 478 stuff. It looks like this 845G chipset should support Willamette, Northwood, and Prescott according to what I'm seeing online.

Currently burning Lubuntu 14.04.5 alternate install disc, cross fingers please!

4 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Compaq board has 11 6.3V 2200uf caps on it that are all leaking or bulged or both.

https://www.amazon.com/pcs-Panasonic-FM-Capacitors-2200uf/dp/B073YQZJ3S/

Would these be the correct parts? If so I think I'll just order them and recap this board myself before I hand it off to @FakeKGB cause I want to make sure he's got a solid base to troubleshoot socket 478 stuff. It looks like this 845G chipset should support Willamette, Northwood, and Prescott according to what I'm seeing online.

Currently burning Lubuntu 14.04.5 alternate install disc, cross fingers please!

Those caps look right. Just make sure they're not physically too big.

It just hit me that I could probably post either of my daily driver PCs here and it would count as old/retro.. Maybe not the FX one as much as the Xeon one, it's a good 6 years younger.

Side note on recaps, do you think my Game Boy board needs a recap? All the caps seem to not be bulging but I tested them today and a couple of them are no longer within the 10% margin of error.

Ok, so @FakeKGB 2 of the DDR are 1GB and 2 are 512MB for a total of 3GB which makes more sense cause yeah 32bit system max 3GB.

I burned a CD, then I was in BIOS looking at boot options and IT BOOTS FROM USB. Of course it does, if I hadn't burnt the CD first it wouldn't boot from USB. So that's pretty awesome. Currently booting up Lubuntu 16.04 to run an install on the 200GB Maxtor DiamonMax 10 HDD. It's a somewhat modern flavor of Ubuntu so it should be easy to use. I'm just gonna nuke the drive and make this the only OS on it.

Named the PC Bulge-y.

23 minutes ago, Bitter said:

cause yeah 32bit system max 3GB.

Incorrect. It's 4gb of memory

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Incorrect. It's 4gb of memory

No?

*When speaking of Retail flavors of Windows, XP and 7 32 bit 3.25GB is the max memory they can address because of limits placed in the kernel by MS. Something like Windows Server and Windows NT were able to use all 4GB. I went through this with XP back in the day for a long time with my 775 system.

4 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

He actually is partially correct--some 32-bit systems (like earlier Core Duo-era Thinkpads) would only support 3 GB of memory, with any additional memory not being utilised by the system. 

I clarified, it's an OS limitation on some systems and others a CPU/motherboard limit upto 3.5GB for most 32 bit Pentium 4 due to 32 bit address space they just couldn't count high enough. 64 bit CPU's did exist back then but they were limited to niche use or commercial/research uses due to their high costs and generally unobtanium status for us mere mortals at the time.

XP 32 bit could do 3.25GB with some boot options and stuff, PAE had to be supported and enabled. My 775 board could see all 4GB or 6GB of memory but XP32 could only let me use 3.25 of it. Win7 64 used all of it.

7 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

He actually is partially correct--some 32-bit systems (like earlier Core Duo-era Thinkpads) would only support 3 GB of memory, with any additional memory not being utilised by the system. 

Yeah, I have some older systems that only support 3gb on 32bit.

21 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

I've got a Core 2 Duo laptop from 2008 that only supports 2GB max (more=no post), just like my 2006 Celeron/Pentium M laptop. Funnily enough however my old 2006 Core Duo and my Grandmother's current 45nm Pentium/C2D laptop from 2008 both support 4GB flawlessly. The extra amount with 32bit Win XP, Vista & Win 7 was actually still useable - just only for the iGPU if set manually in the BIOS.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL