Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

6 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

Used to love skinning Winamp.  Well designed ones would download almost instantly even on a 28k Modem 🙃

I've got a whole folder of skins for TheSkyX, WinAmp, VLC, and other misc software.

50 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I think I spent years staring at Monkey http://www.geisswerks.com/monkey/

the ones i liked were Holiday Dancer (i think there was a normally dressed one too) from Wild Tangent and G-Force (Before apple bought it up).  I know Holiday Dancer was just a looped video but i always liked it

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

37 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Actually posting this from the Pentium 4 right now. It's not a terrible experience if you're patient!

Sadly there's a big gap in my collection. I've got a k6-2 380 and then the next oldest I have is from '07. So it's either too old to open the forum at all or too new to be cool that I'm looking at the forums on it.

22 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I bumped the heatsink and broke the thermal compound integrity so repaste I guess.

IMG_20210713_185241.jpg

Firstly, nice Leadtek card! Do you know if that was from the WinFast brand or predating that? Pretty sure geforce 3 predates that...

Secondly, do those have to be pasted/cooled at all? I've never pasted/heatsinked my ATI card from that era but it's not very powerful after all... It's a Rage XL PCI, the weaker version with a lower clock.

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

Sadly there's a big gap in my collection. I've got a k6-2 380 and then the next oldest I have is from '07. So it's either too old to open the forum at all or too new to be cool that I'm looking at the forums on it.

I'm able to look at the forum on Y2K but it's too old to do anything. There's no submit reply window.

elephants

Just now, FakeKGB said:

I'm able to look at the forum on Y2K but it's too old to do anything. There's no submit reply window.

No Ethernet on the 380 mhz beast, and we don't have a phone line for dialup. There was an optional Ethernet card for that model but most people didn't buy it because it was like $400 and they're impossible to find nowadays.

On the iPhone 3GS it's pretty similar, you can view the forums but there's not the dropdown menu at the top right so you can't sign in and stuff like that, the advertisements and LTT videos will scatter randomly throughout the page, sometimes overlapping text and sometimes under text rendering it unreadable, it's overall just a mess

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

No Ethernet on the 380 mhz beast, and we don't have a phone line for dialup. There was an optional Ethernet card for that model but most people didn't buy it because it was like $400 and they're impossible to find nowadays.

On the iPhone 3GS it's pretty similar, you can view the forums but there's not the dropdown menu at the top right so you can't sign in and stuff like that, the advertisements and LTT videos will scatter randomly throughout the page, sometimes overlapping text and sometimes under text rendering it unreadable, it's overall just a mess

When I got the thing in its half-finished state (PCI video card, dying HDD, no optical drive) it had an Intel Pro/100 Ethernet card. The thing works well.

elephants

1 minute ago, FakeKGB said:

When I got the thing in its half-finished state (PCI video card, dying HDD, no optical drive) it had an Intel Pro/100 Ethernet card. The thing works well.

Ah nice. Pretty much the same with this one. Although you're lucky to find a system with only those problems and not exploded caps, leaked CMOS battery, broken CPU socket, corrosion, water damage, etc.

On 7/12/2021 at 12:36 AM, 8tg said:

Only losers use virtual machines, you need era hardware for everything you’re doing with old operating systems

Yeah, it just doesn't seem as genuine on a VM. OPL3 emulation and CGA emulation will never look/sound just right.

The secret is I'm running a modern OS on this old hardware so I can do most things, YouTube though is hopeless.

9 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Ah that makes more sense, most certificates for older than Vista have expired.

Lubuntu has really low system requirements.

There's no difference between these two, no?

https://koolance.com/vid-205-l06-video-card-vga-water-block-geForce-7800-7900-7950-radeon-1800-1900-1950

https://koolance.com/vid-nv1-l06-video-card-vga-nvidia-geforce-6800-water-block

Only difference I can see is the color of the memory heatsink thing, but other than that they look identical.

I ask because I found someone selling the 205 block for $12 + $8 shipping.

elephants

The boards look identical to me my friend

800351828_6800ULTRAPCIE.thumb.jpg.0603f31996f121aa1e4f093a05dcfc58.jpg

gf7800gtx-scan-front.thumb.jpg.1c9fb61994b90b2126a6183f096888b3.jpg

Edit:

The bits that count anyways 

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

48 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

There's no difference between these two, no?

https://koolance.com/vid-205-l06-video-card-vga-water-block-geForce-7800-7900-7950-radeon-1800-1900-1950

https://koolance.com/vid-nv1-l06-video-card-vga-nvidia-geforce-6800-water-block

Only difference I can see is the color of the memory heatsink thing, but other than that they look identical.

I ask because I found someone selling the 205 block for $12 + $8 shipping.

Look up "Asus 8800GTX Aqua Tank". It's fascinating.

24 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

The boards look identical to me my friend

800351828_6800ULTRAPCIE.thumb.jpg.0603f31996f121aa1e4f093a05dcfc58.jpg

gf7800gtx-scan-front.thumb.jpg.1c9fb61994b90b2126a6183f096888b3.jpg

Edit:

The bits that count anyways 

The only thing I can see interfering with the block is the moved choke resistor and the added heatsink on the 7800, but since it's not a full coverage block it should be fine.

The layout of the AGPA card may be different than the PCIe card!

It is definitely different! You have molex power and a VRM cooler. 20201128_224936.thumb.jpg.3f8a6b2a886baede12b49c4d0a27cfe9.jpg

7800 GT for free 

1060 6GB that was gonna get thrown away cause the motherboard gpu slot was fried from poorly installed water cooling. 

20210715_020941.jpg

20210715_021558.jpg