Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

I'm posting from the Pentium 4 again, but this time without bulging caps! Seems like it's all working, need to stress test. Oddity, but had this before, it keeps complaining about the time/date being incorrect but they're correctly set. Has a new CMOS battery so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Ok, just had to complain, now it reboots without bitchin about the clock thing. Running Prime95 currently, seems to be OK so far. Can't figure out how to see CPU temps in software on Linux for hardware this old, not even sure I saw temps in software in Windows either...

4 hours ago, Kanna said:

This pretty good condition GeForce  8800 GTX

nut juice is flowing, please cease

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

nut juice is flowing, please cease

Oh no was it that good

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

2 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

It was that good. Can confirm. 

Imma temporarily put it in a PC

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

I now qualify for a give-things-away thread over on TPU, so I'm giving away my brand-new copy of Acronis True Image 10 Home.

Spoiler

20210720_161032.thumb.jpg.b1d0fad179ec5591ea53b72a6fc2bb8a.jpg

But I'm never gonna give this up.

Spoiler

20210403_135818.thumb.jpg.838ce6427c6ed7160f1547045d86a228.jpg

elephants

25 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

I now qualify for a give-things-away thread over on TPU, so I'm giving away my brand-new copy of Acronis True Image 10 Home.

Hide contents

20210720_161032.thumb.jpg.b1d0fad179ec5591ea53b72a6fc2bb8a.jpg

But I'm never gonna give this up.

Hide contents

20210403_135818.thumb.jpg.838ce6427c6ed7160f1547045d86a228.jpg

I hope it doesn't let you down, run around, or desert you.

I have a functioning i5 2500 APU, but that aint ancient yet. 

The thing is, its my daily driver.....

23 minutes ago, Demo_Boi said:

That thing is still very good.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

2 hours ago, Demo_Boi said:

i've been looking at the 2500 for a build of mine.  I got the ITX board and RAM for it.  Just waiting to find a chip at the right price

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

17 hours ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

i've been looking at the 2500 for a build of mine.  I got the ITX board and RAM for it.  Just waiting to find a chip at the right price

Would you sir, perhaps, be willing to negotiate?

8 hours ago, Demo_Boi said:

Would you sir, perhaps, be willing to negotiate?

It's a kind offer.  However I feel if you're not in the UK the postage and import costs would render any negotiations moot

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

5 hours ago, Adrian Mcnie said:

i have a intel centrino duo im trying to find rn

Which one?

Scratch that i've just seen the pics

@Bitter I'm 98% sure it's a motherboard/capacitor failure problem. I test booted the Compaq system unchanged and it booted fine into Lubuntu. After that, I shut it down, swapped in the Prescott CPU, booted it up, and... nothing. After doing some Googling HP's website says that it doesn't support any 800 MHz CPUs, and while the Intel 845G chipset does it seems that Compaq didn't add them to the BIOS support list or something because OEM want you to buy more upgrade yea money!!!

I then put the Northwood P4 in my P4C800-E and booted it up, with speaker so it can jabber at me. It yells "SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST" before I turn the speaker off, which to me indicates that it's a motherboard fault since it failed a confirmed working CPU.

So now I'm going to save up and buy some capacitors and practice my soldering skills.

Side note, what's the password to the Lubuntu account?

elephants

1 hour ago, FakeKGB said:

@Bitter I'm 98% sure it's a motherboard/capacitor failure problem. I test booted the Compaq system unchanged and it booted fine into Lubuntu. After that, I shut it down, swapped in the Prescott CPU, booted it up, and... nothing. After doing some Googling HP's website says that it doesn't support any 800 MHz CPUs, and while the Intel 845G chipset does it seems that Compaq didn't add them to the BIOS support list or something because OEM want you to buy more upgrade yea money!!!

I then put the Northwood P4 in my P4C800-E and booted it up, with speaker so it can jabber at me. It yells "SYSTEM FAILED CPU TEST" before I turn the speaker off, which to me indicates that it's a motherboard fault since it failed a confirmed working CPU.

So now I'm going to save up and buy some capacitors and practice my soldering skills.

Side note, what's the password to the Lubuntu account?

I totally forgot to tell you the password! I'll message it!

Yeah, sounds like caps. D'OH on me assuming chipset support meant the board would support it!

Also if you remove the board, the 4 screws around the CPU cooler have to come out too. It screws to the case through the cooler bracket.

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

Also if you remove the board, the 4 screws around the CPU cooler have to come out too. It screws to the case through the cooler bracket.

I'm leaving the Compaq together for testing IDE/floppy things since it's not too hard to get cables in and out, but I did take the HDD/floppy/optical/GPU for other things.

The GeForce 3 Ti 500 went in place of my Radeon 9250 in Y2K. It's not a huge upgrade (halves the VRAM), but it doubles the TMUs and memory bus along with a 50 MHz bump to the RAM clock, along with passive RAM cooling and active GPU cooling, something the Radeon 9250 lacks (passive GPU cooler, no RAM cooling).

The optical drive also went in Y2K in place of a random 4X IDE CD-ROM drive. It does work.

The floppy drive is going on my main PC in place of my current black 3.5" drive that doesn't work correctly (if I attempt to interact with it at all it freezes File Explorer for 30+ seconds and then fails what I asked it to do). It also comes with a 3.5" to 5.25" bay adapter integrated into the drive, so I can move my 5.25" to 3.5" + USB 3.0 ports on the front to where my Zip drive goes.

The HDD with Lubuntu is going into P4HT for dual-boot because why the heck not. I'm keeping the username and password that you set.

elephants

On 7/30/2021 at 6:42 AM, luckybob77 said:

the dual DVI and no external power says its a MSI 8600 GT, but the heatsink matches the MSI 8500 GT https://www.quietpc.com/msi-nx8500gt-td256ez

yeah but this one is larger than the one in the link so..  but what if its MSI 8600 GT but with MSI 8500 GT's passive cooler? welp theres only one way to find out. LETS PUT IT ON MY GAMING PC!