Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

4 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Some of that is due to chipset/motherboard and not the CPU itself. Max ram per slot limits kind of thing.

Yeah...Intel's chipsets of the time were all over the place.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

41 minutes ago, Bitter said:

No?

*When speaking of Retail flavors of Windows, XP and 7 32 bit 3.25GB is the max memory they can address because of limits placed in the kernel by MS. Something like Windows Server and Windows NT were able to use all 4GB. I went through this with XP back in the day for a long time with my 775 system.

I was going with the max addressable memory for a 32bit os, 4gb, I was not saying XP could do 4gb (had a xp system, 4x1gb ddr2,  was so confused by the fact that it would only say that 3.25gb existed. But on the same system, 10 32bit would do all 4gb.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

MS and their shenanigans...

I ordered enough caps to do the Compaq board. @FakeKGB I'll find another Saturday to run it up to you. I do have Lubuntu 16.04 on it, booting, updated to current, and working but I want to re-cap it anyway. I'll give you the extra caps too, I'm sure you'll find a use for them. It's easy for me to do since I have a decent soldering iron, solder, and solder wick on hand. Unless you desperately want to do it yourself of course, I'm not sure my car inverter would run a digital soldering iron properly lol otherwise I'd give you a quick re-cap lesson in the library parking lot.

I was one of those running XP 64bit with 4GB "for realz" back in the day...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

It's cool but what band does it use? It's probably not compatible with any current network security or anything...and also very slow.

According to the shield it's 802.11b. 11 whole megabits per second!

And definitely not compatible. If I want to use WiFi on my XP laptop I have to use the guest network because it doesn't support WPA2.

elephants

https://hwbot.org/submission/4183403_mrgenius_cinebench___r20_pentium_4_3.4ghz_(prescott)_103_marks/

Here's to hoping your 3.4E and Asus board work out, you should be able to take first place easily at 4Ghz for the 3.4 and maybe even top spot for the Pentium 4 if you can get it past 4.1Ghz to topple the guy with a 3.2 at 4.1.

23 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Isn't a non ntsc SNES not a SNES?

Weren't they called the super famicom?

Euro PAL versions had Japanese styling and 'merican naming

Edit:

Also pretty sure the Super Famicom was NTSC too

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

3 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

Euro PAL versions had Japanese styling and 'merican naming

What? 

For us Europeans a SNES is this:

Wikipedia_SNES_PAL.thumb.jpg.a40fc416a07be4e5fd858c45d21ffec1.jpg

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

What? 

Wikipedia_SNES_PAL.thumb.jpg.a40fc416a07be4e5fd858c45d21ffec1.jpg

He’s right.

that’s the Japan super famicom, with text in English 

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

What? 

Which is same styling as Japanese NTSC models

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.774a72c69bf4de96aa5b12ca8c5137e6.jpg

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

2 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

He’s right.

that’s the Japan super famicom, with text in English 

Thanks for the backup

Oh wow I always thought the SNES that looks like a Japanese NES was the Japanese one, but it seems they reversed the thing...

F@H

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Oh wow I always thought the SNES that looks like a Japanese NES was the Japanese one, but it seems they reversed the thing...

yeah.

Id assume they had the japan have the same casing as all of the pal ones because they bassically used the same snes internals, so they had to do less designing to put a pal snes in a ntsc casiung.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Funnily enough the Euro NES had same casing as the American one

Yeah who knows what they were thinking...

F@H

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

yeah.

Id assume they had the japan have the same casing as all of the pal ones because they bassically used the same snes internals, so they had to do less designing to put a pal snes in a ntsc casiung.

Europe was a MUCH smaller target for Nintendo because the Master System had basically wiped the floor with the NES prior on the console side of things.  Most gaming in the UK was done on 8-bit Micros with the added functionality of being able to code as well so consoles didn't really kick off until the 16-bit era

4 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

Funnily enough the Euro NES had same casing as the American one

Don't plug a US to EU.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

Reminds me of the Japanese launch edition PlayStation I have. Text is in English, menus are in English...

That extends to cameras (mostly canon)

I am getting a Japan model canon 80D and it has a English menu setting with a downloadable English owners manule.

The chargers are switching so thats not a problem.

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

2 minutes ago, sub68 said:

Don't plug a US to EU.

Seem to remember a simple jumper cut would cause the region lock-out to stop working on the old NES.  I modded my Altered Beast era Mega Drive to play the different regions too.  Though there's some slowdown here or there on the 60Hz side of it due to the slower clock speed of the 68000.  The Master System converter works with the region switch i installed too

3 minutes ago, sub68 said:

That extends to cameras (mostly canon)

I am getting a Japan model canon 80D and it has a English menu setting with a downloadable English owners manule.

The chargers are switching so thats not a problem.

What's the Kiss name for the 80D?