Opinions on the razer kraken 7.1 ?

manlykeweaver465

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new headset and i can get a Razer Kraken headset for £40, are they worth it ?, ill only be using it for sound as i have a blue snowball mic. 

if you have any other headset suggestions for around the same price, feel free to suggest them to me :) (ill only be using the headset for gaming and general use).

thanks.

Razer durability: very 70s Italian

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

best headphones ive ever used.

that being said, the cable likes to tangle itself spontaneously, and the only other headphones ive ever used are the crappy in-flight ones and the stock iPhone earbuds... :P

1 minute ago, Jurrunio said:

Razer durability: very 70s Italian

lmao, a few of my friends have had the kraken for years and never really had any problems with it, what other headsets in my price range (£40-£50) would be good ? :) 

Just now, Genericplane said:

best headphones ive ever used.

that being said, the cable likes to tangle itself spontaneously, and the only other headphones ive ever used are the crappy in-flight ones and the stock iPhone earbuds... :P

yeah haha, i currently have logitech g230 headset and they've held out well but its time for a new headset :P 

Steelseries make better headsets,check out the Arctis 5

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

25 minutes ago, Armakar said:

Steelseries make better headsets,check out the Arctis 5

bit out of my price range, upgrading my pc soon and don't really wanna spend alot on the headset 

4 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Kraken has garbage audio quality and poor reliability. I would consider real headphones.

ahh, could you suggest any in my price range ? 

2 minutes ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

ahh, could you suggest any in my price range ? 

Monoprice Retro is very good. I just bought a set myself.

SHP9500 are my go-to recommendations. If you can live with outside noise, they are the best. You're better off saving for better, or getting something cheaper and waiting, than getting the Kraken. They have what I think is legendary status bad sound.

11 hours ago, NinjaQuick said:

SHP9500 are my go-to recommendations. If you can live with outside noise, they are the best. You're better off saving for better, or getting something cheaper and waiting, than getting the Kraken. They have what I think is legendary status bad sound.

ah okay ill have a look into them, ill probably wait a bit then 

16 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

The Corsair HS50 is really good at 50$.

12 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

If you can shell out around a 100$ then the Steelseries arctis 5 is very good and so is the Sennheiser GSP 300.

yeah ill probably spend around £80 - £90

1 hour ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

yeah ill probably spend around £80 - £90

Then check out these two videos by Hardware Canucks and then decide.

You can also check out other under 100$ round ups from reputed tech channels. Also remember more price doesn't mean more performance especially when it comes to peripherals. You also need to decide whether you want a gamery accent or you just want a stealthy look and also the type of sound you need- bassy or balanced- and also on microphone requirements and other features like surround sound, etc.

2 hours ago, Tarun10 said:

Then check out these two videos by Hardware Canucks and then decide.

You can also check out other under 100$ round ups from reputed tech channels. Also remember more price doesn't mean more performance especially when it comes to peripherals. You also need to decide whether you want a gamery accent or you just want a stealthy look and also the type of sound you need- bassy or balanced- and also on microphone requirements and other features like surround sound, etc.

thanks for your input and advice, I'm not really bothered about how much bass it has or how balanced it is as I'm a pretty casual gamer and do more programming if anything, so i don't rely on sound but i would like a good quality headset, mic quality doesn't matter as i have a blue snowball, what about the arctis 3 ?, I'm gonna watch a review on it now :) 

54 minutes ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

thanks for your input and advice, I'm not really bothered about how much bass it has or how balanced it is as I'm a pretty casual gamer and do more programming if anything, so i don't rely on sound but i would like a good quality headset, mic quality doesn't matter as i have a blue snowball, what about the arctis 3 ?, I'm gonna watch a review on it now :) 

If you already have a snowball I would not look at gaming headsets. I would look at actual headphones. The Philips SHP9500S are unbelievable for the price. They go on sale regularly on newegg for $55~ USD ( full price is $100ish , which at that price there are other options to look at) . I would also ask @Max_Settings for more budget headphones that he might recommend. 

On amazon they are always around 70$

CPU  i7 6850k 

GPU: EVA FTW3 3080

Monitor: Dell 2716DGR +  another 1440p ultra sharp.

SSD: 512GB 850 Pro | 970 Pro 500

AMP/DAC:Magni 3 + Modi  2.

Headphones: HD 6XX, Argons, HD 660S and like 9 more

34 minutes ago, Slickrr13 said:

If you already have a snowball I would not look at gaming headsets. I would look at actual headphones. The Philips SHP9500S are unbelievable for the price. They go on sale regularly on newegg for $55~ USD ( full price is $100ish , which at that price there are other options to look at) . I would also ask @Max_Settings for more budget headphones that he might recommend. 

On amazon they are always around 70$

Ah okay cool, ill have a look into actual headphones then, that would be better thanks ! :) 

3 hours ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

Ah okay cool, ill have a look into actual headphones then, that would be better thanks ! :) 

Do not buy the Razer kraken I had one a couple years ago and I'm now ashamed I even bought the thing...  It really does sound horrible compared to a good reputable headphone.

Buy yourself a good set of headphones and don't look back. 

If you can handle open back headphones in your environment then I would go for the Phillips SHP9500, They are always such a great price!

For closed back headphones I just purchased a set of Audio Technica M40X w/ HM5 Angled pads and they are excellent best all round headphone I own.

Cheers!

Links

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40X-Professional-Headphones-Black/dp/B00HVLUR54/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520625496&sr=8-1&keywords=ATH-M40x&dpID=41gFqXe5oBL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SHP9500-00-Headphone/dp/B00ENMK1DW/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1520625516&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Phillips+SHP9500

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-Angled-Memory-Foam-Earpad-Black-Pleather/dp/B00ZY8PGJI/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1520625547&sr=8-2&keywords=HM5+Pads&dpID=417GsBmmmnL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

1 hour ago, Tz000 said:

Do not buy the Razer kraken I had one a couple years ago and I'm now ashamed I even bought the thing...  It really does sound horrible compared to a good reputable headphone.

Buy yourself a good set of headphones and don't look back. 

If you can handle open back headphones in your environment then I would go for the Phillips SHP9500, They are always such a great price!

For closed back headphones I just purchased a set of Audio Technica M40X w/ HM5 Angled pads and they are excellent best all round headphone I own.

Cheers!

Links

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40X-Professional-Headphones-Black/dp/B00HVLUR54/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520625496&sr=8-1&keywords=ATH-M40x&dpID=41gFqXe5oBL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SHP9500-00-Headphone/dp/B00ENMK1DW/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1520625516&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Phillips+SHP9500

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brainwavz-Angled-Memory-Foam-Earpad-Black-Pleather/dp/B00ZY8PGJI/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1520625547&sr=8-2&keywords=HM5+Pads&dpID=417GsBmmmnL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

thanks for your advice!, i was looking at the audio technica headphones earlier and ill probably go with those :D 

1 hour ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

thanks for your advice!, i was looking at the audio technica headphones earlier and ill probably go with those :D 

If you do make sure you get the m40x nothing else from that line up is worth your time/money

Also if you can afford it right away buy those ear pads I linked, they greatly improve the comfort and the sound stage. Well worth the investment you will be very pleased with your purchase.

6 hours ago, Tz000 said:

If you do make sure you get the m40x nothing else from that line up is worth your time/money

Also if you can afford it right away buy those ear pads I linked, they greatly improve the comfort and the sound stage. Well worth the investment you will be very pleased with your purchase.

M40Xs aren’t even worth your time if you don’t get the pads. That is what makes them. Without they are super meh. I wouldn’t wait, get them right away.

14 hours ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

Then yeah it is probably better you go for the Audio Technica M40X than a gaming headset unless you require that look or something. I guess those are some of the best sounding around unless you get a Sennheiser 5XX on sale on MassDrop though I don't think they will be worth it unless you listen to some music.