With all the magical snake oils.. can you get a GPU for $1?

So i am new to the forms, but run a college content creation program. We were looking for parts with our left over ramen noodle fund and came across this ad on the website geek, a tech extension of wish.com.

https://geek.wish.com/c/5a93a075e114ef0146ea5a99

Now Im not an expert, but this seems a bit iffy... Now there are other listings from other sellers saying roughly the same thing, and then there are sellers who flat out say its a graphics card and raise the price. My thought was.... could you actually get a graphics card for $1.

so i bought 10 of them, to make it a bit safer i mixed my purchasing with different sellers and made sure to save $0.15 at every turn by teaming up and purchasing my card with daloris... or edger the graphics card wizard. Clearly i am not implying Edgar is only a wizard, ANd im not saying go buy $1 worth of graphics cards.... 

But is this legal?

"potentially real"

https://geek.wish.com/c/5a289e186fdc515000576f53

"fake and free"

https://geek.wish.com/c/5a289e186fdc515000576f53

fake and $1

https://geek.wish.com/c/5a93a075e114ef0146ea5a99

have fun 

If you have generous friends, you can get them for way less than $1.

I got the GTX 780 powering my main rig for free off a friend.

Radeon HD 4850, Nvidia GTS 250 and GeForce 6200 as well, all for free from another friend.

GeForce4 MX420 AGP, also free in a system I got from a friend.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Radeon HD 4850, Nvidia GTS 250 and GeForce 6200 as well, all for free from another friend.

links are to a website that claims to sell a 1070ti for $1 or for me £1 xD

image.png

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools - Douglas Adams

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

if you have a father that is a techie

I got GT 610/430, GS 8400, and a plethera of AGP/PCI/PCIe GPUs, and one ISA GPU.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

if you have a father that is a techie

I got GT 610/430, GS 8400, and a plethera of AGP/PCI/PCIe GPUs, and one ISA GPU.

Inclined to think most of mine are better, but I would love a PCIe Gen1 card....

2 minutes ago, Jekub said:

links are to a website that claims to sell a 1070ti for $1 or for me £1 xD

image.png

Inclined to call it a scam. Either that, or the cards have been used for mining.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Inclined to think most of mine are better, but I would love a PCIe Gen1 card....

Inclined to call it a scam. Either that, or the cards have been used for mining.

it is

but I can say I have a box of GPUs that'll be compatible with pretty much any era of PC computing in the last.. three decades or so.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, WereCat said:

But it says 1050ti on the box...hmmmmmmm

I'm kinda intrigued just to know what you actually get xD because it can't be a working gpu

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools - Douglas Adams

our content creation program is umm rendering videos with a AMD FX8800p Radeon R7 graphics......... sooo...... yea....

The link takes me to a page that requests "Sign up to view details about this product!", which of course I won't, so... what's exactly the deal there?

Most of my GPUs were pretty cheap

Have an ATI X800 SE that I snagged for $1.86 from a scrapyard

Got a GTX 550ti for free off of an eBay scammer

Got a GTX 570 for $10 from r/hardwareswap

And also, check your local PC hardware shops, dumps that accept electronics, and scrapyards/recycling centers.

EDIT:

Decided to give it a gamble bc I had &2 burning in my pocket. Ordered the "1070 Ti". I expect a box to be shipped to my door. Just that. A box that says GTX 1070Ti.

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

The link takes me to a page that requests "Sign up to view details about this product!", which of course I won't, so... what's exactly the deal there?

1 & 2

"Colorful iGame GTX 1050 Ti GPU 4GB GDDR5 128bit Gaming Video Cards Graphics Card 1060 GPU 6GB GDDR5 PCI-E VR Ready Graphic Card 1070Ti Vulcan U Top Graphics Card 1607/1683MHz 8G 256bit I3P5 GTX1080Ti Vulcan AD 11GB Video Graphics Card 1594/1708MHz forNIER"

for £310

"Colorful iGame GTX 1070Ti Vulcan U Top Graphics Card 1607/1683MHz 8G 256bit I3P5"

for £1

It's worth noting the boxes in the pictures are for 1080ti's and 1050ti's respectively

Spoiler

image.png.746c989e639d148e14184b9bd6bea6f6.png

GTX 1050 Ti

Normal price: $10,000 USD

Sale Price: $435 USD

What mining world do they live in?

No I didn't sign up to view, I blocked the login elements.

2 hours ago, Jekub said:

(...)

Thanks. But, other than being a scam (not fake - it takes more than $1 to get an ISA GPU to your door), how is a GPU supposed to be sold by anyone at $1? I mean, what would justify a probability higher than 0% of getting anything in this case?

2 hours ago, tjcater said:
  Reveal hidden contents

image.png.746c989e639d148e14184b9bd6bea6f6.png

GTX 1050 Ti

Normal price: $10,000 USD

Sale Price: $435 USD

What mining world do they live in?

No I didn't sign up to view, I blocked the login elements.

Well, if they sell a 1050ti for $435, I guess they can ship another 1050ti for free and still turn a profit :P 

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Thanks. But, other than being a scam (not fake - it takes more than $1 to get an ISA GPU to your door), how is a GPU supposed to be sold by anyone at $1? I mean, what would justify a probability higher than 0% of getting anything in this case?

i'm well aware of this, it is amusing however

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

You can pay with paypal, so you'd get your money back anyway, and even if you don't, you lose $1 and like $0.80 shipping.

You know it might simlply be a fishing website trying to get people to sign up and input there details.

When ti comes ot the internet, if it looks to good to be true, it is.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

1 minute ago, SolarNova said:

You know it might simlply be a fishing website trying to get people to sign up and input there details.

When ti comes ot the internet, if it looks to good to be true, it is.

To be fair, I have purchased from them in the past, and apart from the obvious scams, most of what they sell is legitimate if a little shady.

2 minutes ago, Jekub said:

i'm well aware of this, it is amusing however

I was just trying to understand whether I'm missing anything (i.e., whether there's something else, like a lottery or any other mechanic that makes it difference than just promising free money).

1 minute ago, ShadowChaser said:

You can pay with paypal, so you'd get your money back anyway, and even if you don't, you lose $1 and like $0.80 shipping.

The question is what makes it different from just throwing $1.80 out of a moving car, though.

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I was just trying to understand whether I'm missing anything (i.e., whether there's something else, like a lottery or any other mechanic that makes it difference than just promising free money).

The question is what makes it different from just throwing $1.80 out of a moving car, though.

It might be a gag gift.

I totally would expect a package two months down the road and there being just an empty box that says GTX 1070Ti

15 minutes ago, Crashball254 said:

our content creation program is umm rendering videos with a AMD FX8800p Radeon R7 graphics......... sooo...... yea....

And it might actually be better than those OBVIOUS fake cards.

I'm honestly confused, why would you think this is real cards?

There's a GPU shortage right now, so there's no way you could get a GTX 1070 for $1, even a broken one will sell for more.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

54 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

EDIT:

Decided to give it a gamble bc I had &2 burning in my pocket. Ordered the "1070 Ti". I expect a box to be shipped to my door. Just that. A box that says GTX 1070Ti.

Fun fact, the box alone is worth more than that on Ebay.
You're more likely to get a picture of the box and the card, by email, not in the mail.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Fun fact, the box alone is worth more than that on Ebay.
You're more likely to get a picture of the box and the card, by email, not in the mail.

He actually might get a GPU, if I remember right, it was RandomGamingHD who bought an obvious scam GPU on eBay and received a very old and weak GPU.

CEX actually has some of those old GPUs for less than $5 (again, if memory serves me right).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 hours ago, ShadowChaser said:

Most of my GPUs were pretty cheap

Have an ATI X800 SE that I snagged for $1.86 from a scrapyard

Got a GTX 550ti for free off of an eBay scammer

Got a GTX 570 for $10 from r/hardwareswap

And also, check your local PC hardware shops, dumps that accept electronics, and scrapyards/recycling centers.

EDIT:

i bought 11 of them because capitalism

I will update this when i get the package...and if i dont get my magical  non existent graphics cards.. i ll just take my refund and keep my crayon sketch...

None of my friends are techy in any sense of the word, though I got a Pentium N2900 (Atom) desktop a year ago.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…