My Dead Laptop

pxnguinPr3

My laptop, which I currently consider Dying,

Not the hardware, but the OS.

It started with a partition change, but thats not important.

I have been trying to reset all but the files, but it just says after about 60%, unable to reset.

I've tried defragging, I've tried doing an activator thingy in command prompt, but it won't work.

I can use the laptop, barely. It takes about 5 minutes to boot, even longer to open programs.

I need to fix it, does anyone know how to fix the reset, I'd rather not pick out each of my files, but if it comes to that....

Thanks in advance.

Hi.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Put a ssd in, reinstall. It will make a huge difference.

You also don't list the hardware or the OS.

Its Win 10, Also, I dont have an SSD, and i know for a fact the hard drive is slightly corrupted. 

I need to fix it, not replace it.

But the hard-ware doesnt really matter.

Hi.

Just now, pxnguinPr3 said:

Its Win 10, Also, I dont have an SSD, and i know for a fact the hard drive is slightly corrupted. 

So do a reinstall of the OS. A ssd will make the system so much faster.

Have you tried making a windows installer and doing a reinstall?

So do a reinstall of the OS. A ssd will make the system so much faster.

Have you tried making a windows installer and doing a reinstall?

If you read the bit above, I was asking how to fix the reset, not how to do a full windows re-install. 

Hi.

Just now, pxnguinPr3 said:

If you read the bit above, I was asking how to fix the reset, not how to do a full windows re-install. 

You don't fix the reset, a reinstall is much easier here. You past the point of fixing it easily.

Just restore backups once reinstalled. Or if you don't have backups, you can just copy the files off the drive if you put it in another computer.

You don't fix the reset, a reinstall is much easier here. You past the point of fixing it easily.

Just restore backups once reinstalled. Or if you don't have backups, you can just copy the files off the drive if you put it in another computer.

Please, if you dont have anything constructive to add, please dont talk.

Hi.

There isn't any way to fix the  reset I've found. I had the same issue with my Dell Inspiron before I sold it, I just had to do a complete reinstall. Make a backup and do that, you wont fix it otherwise.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Just now, Theguywhobea said:

There isn't any way to fix the  reset I've found. I had the same issue with my Dell Inspiron before I sold it, I just had to do a complete reinstall. Make a backup and do that, you wont fix it otherwise.

Funny, I got a dell inspiron right now, the funny thing is, it used to work.

Hi.

1 minute ago, pxnguinPr3 said:

He is being constructive. When someone is at the point you are the best option is to run a backup of your current drive to some external media (external hard drive or if you have a usb big enough.) using something like windows 7 backup and restore (yes I know you have windows 10 you will still find windows 7 backup and restore in the control panel) then do a clean reinstall of windows and after everything is running right you can restore using the same app in the control panel. The reason why he is also recommending an ssd is simply because everyone who has run windows 10 on both will tell you that it is painfully slow on hard drives but it isn't a requirement the only issue is that its hard for us to know if your hdd is failing or if its just a corruption error.

hope this helped.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

1 minute ago, pxnguinPr3 said:

How old is it? Hard drives do eventually die. Especially in a hot enclosed space where they are being banged around all day

That's an F in the profile pic

2 minutes ago, pxnguinPr3 said:

He is being constructive. You are being a little rude for no reason. He simply explained that what you're trying to acheve is inefficient and leaves room for later issues.

If your existing installation is damaged to the point of being unrepairable then you need to pull your files off and re-install. Windows 10 re-install is so straightforward that you could have been back up and running in the amount of time you've created and replied to this whole thread.

9 minutes ago, pxnguinPr3 said:

Also, if you root issue is a failing hard drive, you're wasting your time trying all this. Replace the drive, fresh install of Windows, pull your data off  and you'll be up and running.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

Hard drives fail, it happens and will always happen. If the drive is failing there's nothing you can do but replace it. Drives are cheap nowadays, just get a new one and reinstall windows. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

19 minutes ago, pxnguinPr3 said:

Wow, you're the one being rude. If your hard drive is failing, replace it. They're cheap. If not, reinstall Windows. That's pretty much your only option. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

if the reset doesn't work there is no fixing it, the only option is to reinstall, backup the files you need to keep and wipe the thing, it sucks but there is simply NO OTHER OPTION when the reset doesn't work. no amount of complaining that that is not what you want to do will change the fact that that is what you HAVE to do.

48 minutes ago, pxnguinPr3 said:

The key phrase here is "used to". That means it doesn't work as of right now. If Windows cannot reset the installation on its own, then it's too far gone to be saved. The easiest solution is to reinstall the OS. If you don't like that idea, then tough luck. Keep your laptop in its broken state. It's not worth my time to argue with you.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Literally just reinstall your OS. There’s a reason it isn’t working, and everyone here who is giving you the best options are speaking from experience. Install windows on an SSD. You yourself said the hard drive is corrupt. What’s not to say there are tons of bad sectors that are preventing windows from being reinstalled?

P.s. I really wouldn’t suggest being rude to the people who are trying to help you. You asked a question, they gave you an answer. It might not be an answer you like, but with the symptoms you’ve presented, it may as well be the answer you need.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."