Steam downloads faster than my internet?

Gravitygrim
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Steam transfers files using compression. What it shows on screen is the amount of bytes decompressed in a second.

A lot of game files can be compressed a bit (background music sometimes is uncompressed, some games also store everything but textures and music as uncompressed to stream it in game more easily etc).

So for example a game file is 5 GB and Steam manages to compress it on-the-fly down during transfer to 4 GB, your Steam client only downloads 4GB... so at 100 mbps, your  5 GB would be transferred in 5000 MB / 12.5 MB/s = 400 seconds but as you're only transferring just 4000 MB at 12.5 MB/s you'll complete the download in 320 seconds, so Steam will show that on average it has transferred  5000 MB / 320 seconds =  15.65 MB/s , which is higher than what your internet speed is.

Hope I explained it well.

Also sometimes Steam will only download what's changed, so for example if a game has 1000 files and there's an update for that game which "patches/updates" only 100 files, Steam simply does a hash check on your existing files and skips downloading files that weren't changed.

I'm not sure but I think it may include the file size of those files that were skipped in the  size transferred within a second.

So for example if you have a 50 MB file and then a 100 MB file and your 50 MB file was not changed, when Steam skips first file and starts downloading the second file you may see on screen network speed 50 MB/s because it thinks it transferred those 50 MB of the first file but in reality it never happened, it just skipped downloading that.

I'm not complaining about a slow speed. Far from it actually. I'm just curious, cause I have 100 mpbs down, but steam gives me 125 mbps down. Nothing else has ever done this, and I simply want to know how it's possible. Could the be a high speed compression server running for the best download speeds, or is steam just magic?

The thing is, I get 60-100 on speed tests. Those are tested on Ookla, and google. I've never seen a single thing, not even a really popular torrent, go as fast as steam. Though, I see my ISP giving extra bandwidth as a possibility, it would just be a really boring answer, so I'm digging for something else.

(oof, what a run on sentance

)

It's just way its calculated and displayed. Steam uses different units than service providers.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I changed the unit to mega bits in the settings, so it should be the same thing. It used to be mega bytes, but I didn't like that.

The difference is only by 10-25 megabits. It might be an incorrect reading, but I find that unlikely.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Honestly I wouldn't question it. If I'm getting something faster than the advertised speed, I'd just nod and smile.

same pay for 100/100 get 125/125

just don't tell them.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Change your speedtest server to a different location, usually one closer to you helps.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Sometimes I get download speed readings on various platforms that say I'm getting 30 to 40 mbps which is impossible because the ADSL technology tops out at around 20 and I only get 10 to 12 at my place. Just incorrect readings.

OBSIDIAN: CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X | MB ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi | RAM Corsair Dominator RGB 32gb 3600 | GPU ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC |

Cooler Corsair Hydro X | Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1tb | Samsung 860 QVO 2tb x2 | Seagate Barracuda 4tb x2 | Case Cosair Obsidian 500D RGB SE |

PSU Corsair HX750 | Cablemod Cables | Monitor Asus PG35VQAsus PG279Q | HID Corsair K70 Rapidfire RGB low profile | Corsair Dark Core Pro RGB SE | Xbox One Elite Controller Series 2

Steam transfers files using compression. What it shows on screen is the amount of bytes decompressed in a second.

A lot of game files can be compressed a bit (background music sometimes is uncompressed, some games also store everything but textures and music as uncompressed to stream it in game more easily etc).

So for example a game file is 5 GB and Steam manages to compress it on-the-fly down during transfer to 4 GB, your Steam client only downloads 4GB... so at 100 mbps, your  5 GB would be transferred in 5000 MB / 12.5 MB/s = 400 seconds but as you're only transferring just 4000 MB at 12.5 MB/s you'll complete the download in 320 seconds, so Steam will show that on average it has transferred  5000 MB / 320 seconds =  15.65 MB/s , which is higher than what your internet speed is.

Hope I explained it well.

Also sometimes Steam will only download what's changed, so for example if a game has 1000 files and there's an update for that game which "patches/updates" only 100 files, Steam simply does a hash check on your existing files and skips downloading files that weren't changed.

I'm not sure but I think it may include the file size of those files that were skipped in the  size transferred within a second.

So for example if you have a 50 MB file and then a 100 MB file and your 50 MB file was not changed, when Steam skips first file and starts downloading the second file you may see on screen network speed 50 MB/s because it thinks it transferred those 50 MB of the first file but in reality it never happened, it just skipped downloading that.

That's exactly what I was hoping it was.That's so cool, thank you for the answer.