Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

I tested it with an auto battery tester, and it still showed fully charged.  However, the battery is not quite three years old.  Would your average auto-battery tester still show it fully charged (and trickle charger show it fully charged) when dead cells are present?

No. You need a load tester. 

It applies a load to the battery for a few seconds and if the voltage drops while it's under load below a certain level it will Mark the battery as failed. 

The issue is the starter on a car really pulls a lot of power from the battery and sending a sudden heavy load to the battery is too hard and the dying cells "just give up" 

Hence why it goes completely dead. Those cells do return after s period of no load though, hence why you are able to get it to come back with time. 

A basic battery level tester will show it's charged in this case because it is... The whole problem is those cells dying under load. 

I've noticed newer batteries don't seem to last as long as they used to. Kind of a shame. Maybe it'll be improved one of these days idk...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

52 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

why did the paint have to be kinda awesome on my old piece of junk first car? lol

the rest of the car was meh... and kinda rough in some places, but the paint... haha

those body panel gaps... never realized how bad they were lol

IMG_3484.jpeg

IMG_1372.jpeg

I really don't think I've seen another 8th gen as clean as mine was since then though. I can kinda see why the Insurance company gave me $4500 for it when I only paid 3k two years before lol

4500?!

I would have given you tree fiddy.

System: Thinkpad T460

Tires are going to be mounted tomorrow. Still waiting on the engine though. Waiting is killing me. 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Only two weeks before school starts. 

I feel like I'm gonna miss working. And the regular paychecks. :P

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

10 hours ago, techswede said:

Oh right. Forgot about those.. Hmm. Exclusive early access pre-order bonus. 

I still need to test drive a car with a CVT. They suck big sweaty donkey balls on mopeds. So i really want to see how they work in cars.

Drove a rogue with one, it's not bad if you want as good of acceleration as you're going to get. And gas mileage. Surprisingly not bad all things considered, just a bit odd not hearing the vehicle shifting.

10 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

you can have an electric car with a manual transmission

:P

in fact you can do that with an existing car and get rid of the clutch pedal because you don't need to use a clutch with an electric motor. (though I forget why)

i guess you could keep the clutch for doing things like revving the engine a little (it would be super easy to rev it too far since they spin so fast lol...) to do burnouts or clutch-kicks or what have you

Wait vut? Electric car with gearbox?

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

@terrytek @arnavvr @Speedyv Since you guys were talking about school. From what grade to what grade is high school in America? 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

4 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

9-12

Ah ok. My sophomore schedule actually ain't bad. Start 8:30 and don't end later then 3:40. 

Just now, ImadKnight said:

Ah ok. My sophomore schedule actually ain't bad. Start 8:30 and don't end later then 3:40. 

Mine used to be 8:10 to 3:50 but they changed it to 8:40 to 4. They wanted 4:30 for dismissal but we simply weren't having it.

26 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Mine used to be 8:10 to 3:50 but they changed it to 8:40 to 4. They wanted 4:30 for dismissal but we simply weren't having it.

Damn, that sucked. Keep in mind I said 3:40 latest. I end at 11:45 on Fridays and 13:35 on Tuesdays :D

I really like the hours at my job, 6:15 to 13:54 leaves a lot of time during the day. You can go to the shops when it's quieter and it's not dark when you get home in the winter. 

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

10 hours ago, terrytek said:

yeah suppose, but i feel like ap physics might be a bitch and a half.

I got some friends, but i'm just saddened my best friends aren't in any of my classes, except one. so having to do group projects is gonna suck.

I hated group projects in middle school because I would end up doing most of the work while the other group members would just sit on their asses. 

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

15 hours ago, warmmilk said:

just as I was thinking I'm tired of this Miata, I should just sell it and get an Evo, I did a track day and kinda love it again (pad knockback is driving me up the f*cking wall though)

My personal opinion is that Mitsubishis are boat anchors... but slightly skewed by how many motors I've done or diagnosed for the same issue. The MZR non 2.3l is pretty bullet proof aside from timing chains. Even that isn't a huge issue in the non 2.3l. 

What exactly is causing the pad knockback? You explained it before, but my memory is fuzzy. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

5 hours ago, ImadKnight said:

Damn, that sucked. Keep in mind I said 3:40 latest. I end at 11:45 on Fridays and 13:35 on Tuesdays :D

Enjoy those hours.

My current hours

Morning 7-15

Evening 14-21

On call 15-23-07-12 (The day after)

Night 21-07

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

50 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

I hope Edd makes at least a small cameo in the next binky video

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

6 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

12pm - 5 pm was my high school hours lol

But I went to high school at a college so...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

9 hours ago, Speedyv said:

4500?!

I would have given you tree fiddy.

i mean it wasn't a base model, and good paint.

6 hours ago, ImadKnight said:

bleh, those are too long of hours. i start 8:00 and end at 2PM. before they had late starts where you would go to school at 9:30am. too bad they got rid of it before i got there. and on finals days you get out at noon lol but it was 2 classes at a time, both 2 hours long, to take finals.

1 hour ago, arnavvr said:

I hated group projects in middle school because I would end up doing most of the work while the other group members would just sit on their asses. 

that was the worst. although there was a project i do remember where nobody actually slacked off and we ended up getting an a for the project. like we all met up like we supposed to and we got all the shit done.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I can imagine @techswede building something like this and just waking up his neighbors, though I imagine something like that would be highly dangerous with that much power, skinny tires and no protection.

excuse the potato quality

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

9 minutes ago, terrytek said:

I can imagine @techswede building something like this and just waking up his neighbors, though I imagine something like that would be highly dangerous with that much power, skinny tires and no protection.

excuse the potato quality

*Cough*

zwjQFbU.png

*Cough*

My schedule for the fall.... I have another month and a quarter before school starts though :D

9CbFfHZ.png

System: Thinkpad T460

My ecu is shipped :D

I think I'm gonna solder the jumper wire for the fuel pump onto it myself this time. Wish me luck lol

Spoiler

7 hours ago, ImadKnight said:

@terrytek @arnavvr @Speedyv Since you guys were talking about school. From what grade to what grade is high school in America? 

Depends on the school. Some local ones are 6-12 mine was 9-12

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

45 minutes ago, Speedyv said:

My schedule for the fall.... I have another month and a quarter before school starts though :D

9CbFfHZ.png

I wish I had another month and a quarter before school starts. I already went yesterday and my school starts on Wednesday. 

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM