Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

56 minutes ago, terrytek said:

how does one drive a car like that 230,000 miles. looks great tho, not sure about the steering wheel or the interior color

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

1 minute ago, B.Coleman said:

Am i the only one who would die for a Porsche 911 Turbo

nope

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

26 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

how does one drive a car like that 230,000 miles. looks great tho, not sure about the steering wheel or the interior color

daily driven nsx? but i actually like flat bottomed steering wheels. and as for the caramel color, it's subjective, but its not bad. it could be worse.

32 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I think Matt Farah reviewed that car. It's great, I kinda want one lol

It's a shame the NSX was so rare... but maybe thats a good thing too.

it is. and me too, mostly for the looks and its amazing v6. but one day i'll save up enough to buy one.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

so i think the head unit in the corolla seems to be acting up. a couple years ago, the display would stay off, while everything still works, but everything will work again after a restart. and now today, whenever i just try to change a channel on fm radio, it ejects the cd instead, if there's one. like that's a bit freaky. and that doesn't happen all the time, its intermittent.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

2 hours ago, terrytek said:

but i thought iirc, you went to a community college, unless you completed 2 years already and is transferring to a university.

I went to a community college while I was I high school and when I graduated high school I also graduated at the same time with an associates degree in general studies and had 2 year of college done (though not every class was towards my focus so I have to go to university a bit longer than 2 more years to get a bachelor's) 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I went to a community college while I was I high school and when I graduated high school I also graduated at the same time with an associates degree in general studies and had 2 year of college done (though not every class was towards my focus so I have to go to university a bit longer than 2 more years to get a bachelor's) 

so its like you still attended high school, but after school you took classes in a community college? and when did you graduate high school/community college? it just sounds kinda weird how you went to both high school and college at the same time, but it's nice that you're ahead of everybody else in your class.

10 minutes ago, terrytek said:

so its like you still attended high school, but after school you took classes in a community college? and when did you graduate high school/community college? it just sounds kinda weird how you went to both high school and college at the same time, but it's nice that you're ahead of everybody else in your class.

No. My high school was physically located inside of the college. My high school classes were taught by college professors and I received both high school and college credit for those classes. I really had most of my high school done by my sophomore year though, because we completed out classes at college rates (one season semester was one set of classes). My junior and senior year there was pretty much just college level courses that I was only getting college credit for towards my degree. 

Many graduating class was about 60 students. We all got both our HS and general studies degrees afaik (we didn't get a degree choice btw, but still helpful)

we we even had normal college students (aka adults) in our "HS classes" sometimes. It was interesting lol)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

And that's the story of how I'm 18 and a senior in college xD

ill be 19 Wednesday though lol

Spoiler

1 hour ago, B.Coleman said:

Am i the only one who would die for a Porsche 911 Turbo

3c3c19b7-2ac4-4aba-b1c6-8cc684c341af.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

yay, nissan actually listened to enthusiasts for once. a turbo engine paired with a 6 speed stick. http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a30754/nissan-just-introduced-a-nissan-sentra-sr-turbo/ plus, at under 23 grand, that's a steal for a new car for a near top of the line model, with a package including leather and bose speakers and also stiffer suspension.

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

I'm curious to see how it will sell.

honestly i wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't sell like hotcakes, considering how terrible econoboxes drive like these days. but who knows, maybe all an econobox needs in order to have some fun with these days is a manual and a turbo.

I haven't had a car in almost a year, should be getting a Subaru at the end of this month, SUCH EXCITE :D

39 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I'm curious to see how it will sell.

It will be terrible because manual and normal people hate manuals. If it was a dual clutch($$$) or a slushbox(:|)  it would probably sell a lot better.

43 minutes ago, terrytek said:

yay, nissan actually listened to enthusiasts for once. a turbo engine paired with a 6 speed stick. http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a30754/nissan-just-introduced-a-nissan-sentra-sr-turbo/ plus, at under 23 grand, that's a steal for a new car for a near top of the line model, with a package including leather and bose speakers and also stiffer suspension.

That is gonna be a good autoX car. Will be like my old corolla on steroids lol. I can already sense some people annihilating H stock with the thing. Though it probably wont be any good against a Fiesta ST...

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

It will be terrible because manual and normal people hate manuals. If it was a dual clutch($$$) or a slushbox(:|)  it would probably sell a lot better.

That is gonna be a good autoX car. Will be like my old corolla on steroids lol. I can already sense some people annihilating H stock with the thing. Though it probably wont be any good against a Fiesta ST...

i honestly hope enthusiasts see this as a future in cheap fun cars. i mean by today's standards, this is a cheap fun car to drive. if you don't have a lot of money, but want a lot of fun, this would be a good candidate for a cheap fun car.

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

Not if it has electric power steering. 

honestly doubt they'd put electric power steering in a cheap car like the sentra. knowing how much manufacturers are gonna cut costs on econoboxes, i'm pretty confident it'd still keep hydraulic power steering.

Just now, terrytek said:

honestly doubt they'd put electric power steering in a cheap car like the sentra. knowing how much manufacturers are gonna cut costs on econoboxes, i'm pretty confident it'd still keep hydraulic power steering.

I think part of the reason for the electric power steering is well..

It's cheaper to produce, you can stick a motor on the column and then there is a basic non pas rack, no hydraulic pump, nada.

1 minute ago, Spacelands said:

I think part of the reason for the electric power steering is well..

It's cheaper to produce, you can stick a motor on the column and then there is a basic non pas rack, no hydraulic pump, nada.

i've always thought hydraulic power steering systems were cheaper than electric ones. i mean, people have done it for years. if nissan really wanted to, they'd cut out power steering entirely, but people will complain for sure that they need more effort just to turn.

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

i've always thought hydraulic power steering systems were cheaper than electric ones. i mean, people have done it for years. if nissan really wanted to, they'd cut out power steering entirely, but people will complain for sure that they need more effort just to turn.

Not sure if you have taken any apart, but if they are doing it anything like the european econoboxes, VW Polo, Vauxhall corsa etc, there really is nothing to electronic PAS really.

The most complicated part is the ECU, other than that its just a steering column with a motor and a position sensor bolted on the side.

Probably costs them peanuts to make compared to the old hydraulic setup!

corsa-c-11806.jpg

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Well no, but the main reason is that there's less metal and weight and no constant stress on the motor. You also don't have a column through the middle of the engine bay 

but still, they've had hydraulic power steering systems for years, don't understand why they'd change to a new concept other than cost and less stress on parts.

3 minutes ago, terrytek said:

but still, they've had hydraulic power steering systems for years, don't understand why they'd change to a new concept other than cost and less stress on parts.

$$$

@MEC-777:D

Still on the hunt for the new GT and Focus RS, though.

14315764_10154326040261815_464453402_o.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

So that's why new car engine bays have been getting more... Roomy? 

No power steering in the way...

ive also noticed that cable and hose management seems to have gotten better too. So that adds to the cleanliness... And of course plastic covers lol

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

So that's why new car engine bays have been getting more... Roomy? 

No power steering in the way...

ive also noticed that cable and hose management seems to have gotten better too. So that adds to the cleanliness... And of course plastic covers lol

Plastic all the things!