Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Just now, terrytek said:

idk just keep it until ou have a brake job to do, then just buy one more and then boom, you're ready.

i got a folder full of car wallpapers and action shots like drifting, mostly off speedhunters. if you like, i'll send a pm over.

That would be awesome :D

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

idk just keep it until ou have a brake job to do, then just buy one more and then boom, you're ready.

i got a folder full of car wallpapers and action shots like drifting, mostly off speedhunters. if you like, i'll send a pm over.

lol idk what im thinking. the brake rotor doesn't even fit my car!!!  So keeping it is not an option.

@BOT Edward

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

@vetali today I made sure my tires were all even. still have to hold the wheel at a slight right. :(

I might do a ghetto alignment lol... Just try to get both sides as near to zero as possible and just keep fooling with it until it drives straight. i dunno. The only thing that would cause this is the tie rods correct? 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

7 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

lol idk what im thinking. the brake rotor doesn't even fit my car!!!  So keeping it is not an option.

@BOT Edward

why not? wrong bolt pattern? too big?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

why not? wrong bolt pattern? too big?

too small. didn't see my post about the brake confusion? :(

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

too small. didn't see my post about the brake confusion? :(

i don't think so. 

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

so what's everyone's take on a manual for a first car? no one taught me how to drive manual but i'm willing to learn. i mean, i got some experience when i had a wheel-and-pedal set (logitech g27 to be precise) but i honestly don't think that's good enough practice 

12 minutes ago, terrytek said:

i don't think so. 

well all the parts places divided my miata between sport suspension and non sport suspension. the SE miata doesn't have sport suspension so I picked that. 

Parts come in they don't fit.

Did some research and turns out the SE miata has the "sport suspension" brakes, but not the sport suspension itself. 

How confusing is that? I mean... I know only a few thousand of my car were made but they shouldn't label the brakes by the suspension lol

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

so what's everyone's take on a manual for a first car? no one taught me how to drive manual but i'm willing to learn. i mean, i got some experience when i had a wheel-and-pedal set (logitech g27 to be precise) but i honestly don't think that's good enough practice 

i will most likely be getting manual as 1st car ... unless i find one of the cars i want that are available only automatic for a good price xD 

so yeah ... imo ... good idea 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

well all the parts places divided my miata between sport suspension and non sport suspension. the SE miata doesn't have sport suspension so I picked that. 

Parts come in they don't fit.

Did some research and turns out the SE miata has the "sport suspension" brakes, but not the sport suspension itself. 

How confusing is that? I mean... I know only a few thousand of my car were made but they shouldn't label the brakes by the suspension lol

wow. o.O that is confusing as hell.

7 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

i mean, if you got a car at home already with a manual, you can learn with that car. i mean i have a stick shift car at home already, and i'm learning how to drive stick with that.

8 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

My first car is a manual, and I didn't know how to drive until I got it. 

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

4 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

I learned on a G27.(probably spent a good 40 hours on it before, I don't own one but I was at a friends house trying to learn a lot lol)  It will only help you get the concept. Make sure you get the concept down pat.

In a real car the clutch has a unique feel to it unlike anything you've felt before. You have to be very smooth with it. If you move your feet too quickly it will lock the trans and engine together suddenly and cause the car to jerk forward. You also have to apply a bit of throttle (when I say a bit i mean very little) as you are releasing the clutch pedal. 

Also starting in first gear in video games is as easy as hitting throttle and letting go of the clutch, starting in real life you have to rev the engine up just enough because when you go to release the clutch it will "catch" and bring the rpm down so you have to have enough rpm there to fight it (usually around 1500-2000 depends on the car) and you can also slowly increase throttle input as you let off the clutch to launch briskly. 

It will be very very intimidating when you first start. don't give up though. Once you get it, it's a lot more fun than a G27 and it will feel like garbage to you xD

I owned an auto as a first car, I have a manual miata now. I totally wish I had a manual car first but it worked out ok. Experience it before it's gone forever, you know???

Make sure when you buy a car the clutch is relatively new. Because you will beat on it a little when you are trying to learn and last thing you want is for it to start slipping when you are trying to learn. My miata's clutch had about 20k miles on it so that's a good spot to aim for. Or just have the clutch replaced when you buy a car, work that into the deal perhaps and get yourself a nice discount on said car.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

I still don't know if you are me had a worse start. the G27 helped me learn the concepts of it but it also confused my brain terribly when it came time to drive the real thing. My feet want to move fast and I had to make them understand that they can't do that lol. 

even now I still have trouble sometimes or I miss stuff, just trying to do things too quickly. and then when I try to slow down im a little too literal.. .perhaps I ride the clutch too long into first or I get into the next gear and my foot is still resting on the clutch pedal after I shifted long ago. 

I can rev match though. half decently. Still no heel toe, esp since I don't really have a good place to do it right now. It might take me a good long while to perfect it.

My poor clutch... lol

Spoiler

59 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

not allowed to post in classifieds section.

That's a bit stupid.

44 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

@vetali today I made sure my tires were all even. still have to hold the wheel at a slight right. :(

I might do a ghetto alignment lol... Just try to get both sides as near to zero as possible and just keep fooling with it until it drives straight. i dunno. The only thing that would cause this is the tie rods correct? 

Caster can pull too I think...

Its bad I have to say I think. I should know that lol. I know camber isn't a pulling angle. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

6 minutes ago, vetali said:

Caster can pull too I think...

Its bad I have to say I think. I should know that lol. I know camber isn't a pulling angle. 

well I know my camber is maxed out on all 4 corners... because cornering lol

gah i should just go get an alignment again... so expensive though :( I might have to just put up with my wheel where it is for a couple months( i want to build some money rn, spent so much this summer). Can't tell if the tires are wearing on the inside because they were already worn a bit on the inside from the previous owner and his alignment lol I don't think it's wearing any further though which is a good sign.

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

@bcredeur97 Mazda subreddits?

i don't go on reddit much... :/ Barely know how to use it lol

Spoiler

@vinyldash303 wow didn't know that. almost all our imperial wrenches are williams at our little shop behind matt's house. 

Of course all the metric one's that we actually use and need are cheap ones that were bought recently from harbor freight lol

We do have some nice craftsman sockets and ratchets though. Almost everything we have is at least 30 years old though haha. (a lot of it was from his deceased Grandpa -- who was murdered on the side of a road about 10 years ago :( ). But yeah all the old stuff stuff doesn't break. Neither has the new stuff yet. But you can just feel a quality difference. I think one craftsman ratchet broke but it was rusted like crazy, it had sat out in the weather for many years. (so how about those lifetime warranties? Does it go past the original owners lifetime? LOL). we also have one snap on ratchet, which is neat because you can insert the handle in many different positions and the head flexes. Really cool piece and haven't seen anything like it up till now. It just kinda has a big head though so that annoys me. 

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, terrytek said:

i mean, if you got a car at home already with a manual, you can learn with that car. i mean i have a stick shift car at home already, and i'm learning how to drive stick with that.

nope, all of the cars are auto. 

22 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

which car was it?

20 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I learned on a G27.(probably spent a good 40 hours on it before, I don't own one but I was at a friends house trying to learn a lot lol)  It will only help you get the concept. Make sure you get the concept down pat.

In a real car the clutch has a unique feel to it unlike anything you've felt before. You have to be very smooth with it. If you move your feet too quickly it will lock the trans and engine together suddenly and cause the car to jerk forward. You also have to apply a bit of throttle (when I say a bit i mean very little) as you are releasing the clutch pedal. 

Also starting in first gear in video games is as easy as hitting throttle and letting go of the clutch, starting in real life you have to rev the engine up just enough because when you go to release the clutch it will "catch" and bring the rpm down so you have to have enough rpm there to fight it (usually around 1500-2000 depends on the car) and you can also slowly increase throttle input as you let off the clutch to launch briskly. 

It will be very very intimidating when you first start. don't give up though. Once you get it, it's a lot more fun than a G27 and it will feel like garbage to you xD

I owned an auto as a first car, I have a manual miata now. I totally wish I had a manual car first but it worked out ok. Experience it before it's gone forever, you know???

Make sure when you buy a car the clutch is relatively new. Because you will beat on it a little when you are trying to learn and last thing you want is for it to start slipping when you are trying to learn. My miata's clutch had about 20k miles on it so that's a good spot to aim for. Or just have the clutch replaced when you buy a car, work that into the deal perhaps and get yourself a nice discount on said car.

sadly i don't have the g27 anymore to practice, and it's been a while since then as well so i think i might have forgotten how to do most of the steps. 

yeah the revving part of the process is tricky. mostly why i'm intimidated when i end up in stop-and-go traffic, or in fear of rear-ending someone. i get lazy on some days and i just don't want to bother, too lol

the clutch slipping is another fear i have (and the dreaded car stalling). i dont exactly have a lot of budget to do the sort of repairs, nor do i have a lot of knowledge of doing repairs myself 

9 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

well I know my camber is maxed out on all 4 corners... because cornering lol

gah i should just go get an alignment again... so expensive though :( I might have to just put up with my wheel where it is for a couple months( i want to build some money rn, spent so much this summer). Can't tell if the tires are wearing on the inside because they were already worn a bit on the inside from the previous owner and his alignment lol I don't think it's wearing any further though which is a good sign.

Make friends with the alignment guy. If you autox a lot it'll save you quite a bit of money. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

Just now, Technicolors said:

nope, all of the cars are auto. 

which car was it?

sadly i don't have the g27 anymore to practice, and it's been a while since then as well so i think i might have forgotten how to do most of the steps. 

yeah the revving part of the process is tricky. mostly why i'm intimidated when i end up in stop-and-go traffic, or in fear of rear-ending someone. i get lazy on some days and i just don't want to bother, too lol

the clutch slipping is another fear i have (and the dreaded car stalling). i dont exactly have a lot of budget to do the sort of repairs, nor do i have a lot of knowledge of doing repairs myself 

if the car you are buying has an old clutch, you can always factor that in and the owner of the car should agree to it if he/she is a sensible human being. 

Strongly encourage you to find someone with a manual car to teach you. Hey if you're brave enough you can probably even make a craigslist ad asking someone to teach you lol... (ever watched Craigslist Joe? good documentary about some guy who went on a trip across the US using only craigslist to find travel, food, shelter lol). Just please be careful if you go that route.

I had some driving time in my friend matt's ecoboost mustang. I never got to master it in there but I got enough to get a very basic knowledge of a real car (his was weird though and had an extremely heavy clutch pedal so I can see why I was never good with it lol)

When I bought my miata... I had to drive it home. Through about 20 redlights. Now that, that was fun xD Sorry again to all those I stalled in front of! LOL
You're likely gonna stall it a few times... Oh well. Just pick up and move on. And don't keep the car in gear when you're stopped (bad for the thrust bearing anyway). It takes a second to push in the clutch and select first gear. If you're paying attention you'll still be as fast or faster at reacting as the people texting with automatics(lol).  No big deal and avoids a potential accident. 

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, vetali said:

Make friends with the alignment guy. If you autox a lot it'll save you quite a bit of money. 

lol I need to find a better place other than the local popular place I go to.

Spoiler

41 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

relatively new? um oops. im learning to drive stick in a 2002 protege with 260k on the ORIGINAL  clutch. i actually feel bad for beating it up.

38 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I still don't know if you are me had a worse start. the G27 helped me learn the concepts of it but it also confused my brain terribly when it came time to drive the real thing. My feet want to move fast and I had to make them understand that they can't do that lol. 

even now I still have trouble sometimes or I miss stuff, just trying to do things too quickly. and then when I try to slow down im a little too literal.. .perhaps I ride the clutch too long into first or I get into the next gear and my foot is still resting on the clutch pedal after I shifted long ago. 

I can rev match though. half decently. Still no heel toe, esp since I don't really have a good place to do it right now. It might take me a good long while to perfect it.

My poor clutch... lol

at least you can rev match. i can get the starts down fine, but downshifting is what i'm having trouble with. i slow down and downshift, but the gear doesn't seem to slip in where i want it to go in.

10 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

lol I need to find a better place other than the local popular place I go to.

or that. 

6 minutes ago, terrytek said:

at least you can rev match. i can get the starts down fine, but downshifting is what i'm having trouble with. i slow down and downshift, but the gear doesn't seem to slip in where i want it to go in.

Sounds like you need new trans fluid. It should shift into the gears fine. 

I'm really debating on dumping money into a name brand toolbox. Now which one is a big question, because no matter what I'm gonna piss off two guys lol. 

Just now, vetali said:

or that. 

Sounds like you need new trans fluid. It should shift into the gears fine. 

I'm really debating on dumping money into a name brand toolbox. Now which one is a big question, because no matter what I'm gonna piss off two guys lol. 

i don't think so. my dad can downshift just fine. i seem to have some difficulty. maybe i just need to practice rev matching more.