Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, iDeFecZx said:

How good is an old E36 Coupe for turning into a track car?

I'd say it's fairly decent. Good power, should be pretty easy to strip the interior out if needed, idk

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

21 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I'd say it's fairly decent. Good power, should be pretty easy to strip the interior out if needed, idk

Im probably gonna go for like a 320i and replace the engine with either the 2.8 or the M3 3.2L. And itll be track only so it will be stripped out

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

1 hour ago, GlassBomb said:

Well, I think I'm done with RCR. That was disappointing. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

16 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Im probably gonna go for like a 320i and replace the engine with either the 2.8 or the M3 3.2L. And itll be track only so it will be stripped out

tbh i would try to find a 325i and not bother with a swap

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

26 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

of if you want to swap ... might as well get a 316i or 318i .. them things usually are quite cheap ... oh and 325d .. i see them at the same price as a 318i xD 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

7 hours ago, warmmilk said:

So I just got around to watching this... 

Looks to me like that turn you plowed through wasn't for lack of brakes but from lack of tire grip. There was plenty of squeal coming from the tires, which tells me the tires are struggling for grip, which means the actual brakes are doing their job. Or were they squealing cause you were trying to turn while going too fast? In that case disregard this... Haha. The g meter supports that, but the general direction the car is moving doesn't... Of course I can't see what you're doing with the wheel..

I was turning. Lol

i set myself up wrong for the corner (should have moved to the outside a bit) and then also I was turning while braking which is a big no no. And I braked too late for the line I took. 

So goofy. I actually did that several times while I was there. No clue why. :( 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

@bcredeur97 this really shows that a boat that is all about straight line performance (pretty much) can't autocross xD (or the driver is just bad :ph34r:)

Capture.JPG

That actually extremely good considering the E63 was stock and the Versa was on R-comps, suspension, and had a MR20-DE engine instead of the stock MR18-DE

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, iDeFecZx said:

You could always do the suspension and brake modifications first. And run the engine until it blows before swapping it.

And this project reminds me of this car...

4 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

@bcredeur97 this really shows that a boat that is all about straight line performance (pretty much) can't autocross xD (or the driver is just bad :ph34r:)

Capture.JPG

Having driven the 2011 E63 AMG i have to say that its no boat. Mostly down to the driver i'd guess. 

Sure they are a bit heavy but the suspension is good and straight line power is where i'd imagine it would shine.

+ I'd add 5 seconds to the Versa's lap because of the styling.. Bleh

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

2 hours ago, vetali said:

Well, I think I'm done with RCR. That was disappointing. 

I liked that one.  I think it's probably the best thing you can do to a pt cruiser, it's such a loaded car in some senses. 

And as someone who also intends to study language I like some of his more obscure things. 

Probably doesn't click with all people. Though. 

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

12 minutes ago, techswede said:

was about to post this .... poop xD 

1 hour ago, GlassBomb said:

You could always do the suspension and brake modifications first. And run the engine until it blows before swapping it.

And this project reminds me of this car...

Yeah, I wont swap the engine straight away, will get used to how the car is to start with. Plus for £350- £400 I cant imagine the engine would last all that long anyway.

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

2 hours ago, Mister2010 said:

of if you want to swap ... might as well get a 316i or 318i .. them things usually are quite cheap ... oh and 325d .. i see them at the same price as a 318i xD 

320i's seem to be the cheapest in a decent condition here in coupe form atleast.

5 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

320i's seem to be the cheapest in a decent condition here in coupe form atleast.

the cheapest here is a 318i sedan xD 

but coupe ... i dunno ... 

For when you've had it with a stuck bolt

archer-thermal-lance.gif?w=650

13 hours ago, warmmilk said:

The fox setup handles great, but it is pretty stiff on the street.  But keep in mind I do have the track springs which are almost 2x stiffer than their street setup. I'm sure the rates are different for the different gen miatas but the difference is prolly the same. I read reviews from people that got the sport springs on the NC and they said ride was good and very streetable. Also look into XIDA coilovers from 949 racing I think, people say they're a great handling and comfortable ride coilover for the NA and NB. A bit more on the budget side would be Goodwin spec Feals coilovers.

Hmm it seems that the stock suspension is almost not enough for the car as it is, hence why it bottoms out on bumps. So going with a stiffer spring and better strut in the form of a coilovers actually improves the stock ride quality in a lot of cases as long as you don't go too stiff lol

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Hmm it seems that the stock suspension is almost not enough for the car as it is, hence why it bottoms out on bumps. So going with a stiffer spring and better strut in the form of a coilovers actually improves the stock ride quality in a lot of cases as long as you don't go too stiff lol

so why does the Torsen diff move you to a different class? is it aftermarket?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

@FuzzyYellow Did you go to Car Craft (Ok now its called O'Reillys, but fuck the names) summer nationals this weekend?

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

13 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

so why does the Torsen diff move you to a different class? is it aftermarket?

no. it's just most miata's have an open diff. so they make the one's with the torsen's go elsewhere.

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Mister2010 said:

the cheapest here is a 318i sedan xD 

but coupe ... i dunno ... 

But the 318i is a 4 cylinder, at least here in Poortugal, the only swaps considered legal are those where you swap an engine with the same looks (or close enough) and the same layout (inline, V), but different displacement. Like from a M54B22 to a M54B30, or to a S54, but that's a little bit different because the valve covers and the intake looks way different than the M54, and the MOT guys would probably bitch about that. And the S54 revs way higher...

Edited by JoaoPRSousa
S54 not S65 *facepalm*

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

14 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

@FuzzyYellow Did you go to Car Craft (Ok now its called O'Reillys, but fuck the names) summer nationals this weekend?

no i didn't. I don't know anything about it. Why's that?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

3 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

no i didn't. I don't know anything about it. Why's that?

Its a big show at the MN state fair grounds every year. ~6000 cars of every make and model although the majority are muscle cars.

car-craft-summer-nats.jpg

I go every year. There was everything from imported GTRs to GTI's to Chevelles (Lots of Chevelles). They always have an autocross in the grandstands, a dyno challenge, stop box. Tons of fun.

By Saturday afternoon the top ten on the dyno challenge were all above 1400WHP. 

Usually the third weekend in July, you should mark your calendar, it's a great way to spend a weekend. :)

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro