Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

2 minutes ago, techswede said:

Just realized that my tools are most likely rusty at this point.. Thats going to be fun to polish.. /s

I have a tub of hand tools.. 1x1m big.. Guessing thats just a lump of tools right now..

Yeah, that's not fun. Friend taught me a trick, if it's from metal and rusty, submerging into brake fluid for some time works pretty well. Or you could try this

Swiss army lump of tools, patent pending ? :D 

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

i really cant tell if getting a BMW  for a 1st car is a good idea for a snowy climate xD ... i dont think it is ...

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

19 minutes ago, techswede said:

94 V6 mustang

Or a Merc 300CE-24. 

Ew, at least get a 98 that doesn't have the as anemic engine.

4 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Yeah, that's not fun. Friend taught me a trick, if it's from metal and rusty, submerging into brake fluid for some time works pretty well. Or you could try this

Might try the electrolysis first. Brake fluid is a bitch to get out of stuff and it smells for ages..

To the patent office!

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Ew, at least get a 98 that doesn't have the as anemic engine.

Only one available for under 4000 :/ 

Even if the engine was both anemic and asthmatic.. It'd still be faster than my golf..

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

1 minute ago, techswede said:

Might try the electrolysis first. Brake fluid is a bitch to get out of stuff and it smells for ages..

To the patent office!

Electrolysis is probably better, I was just lazy and wanted to clean old rusty calipers so I can use them quickly. Worked out. :D

Damn straight.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

Rip in piece. 

Rest in peace in piece?

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Rip in piece. 

2 minutes ago, techswede said:

Rest in peace in piece?

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

"Now we're getting somewhere" - techswede after trading in the soda bottle golf for a 90s v6 mustang 

Its not much of a step up. More of a notch up. But at least its rear wheel drive

21 minutes ago, Frankie said:

imo the best way to remove surface rust is to leave the tool sitting in white vinegar overnight. It removes most of it and just a little sanding is needed for some deeper rust 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

24 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

i really cant tell if getting a BMW  for a 1st car is a good idea for a snowy climate xD ... i dont think it is ...

i mean, there are 4wd versions of bmws too.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

5 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

imo the best way to remove surface rust is to leave the tool sitting in white vinegar overnight. It removes most of it and just a little sanding is needed for some deeper rust 

That works. Probably come down to what you have at the time. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Nice! I kinda wanted a Genesis coupé for a while

Unrelated Question. If you had $4000, what car would you buy as a daily driver? 

Mazdaspeed Protege. Has a nice zippy chassis that's already fun to drive, plus a turbo, adding 40hp on top of the stock engine, and includes a 10 inch sub in the trunk.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

32 minutes ago, techswede said:

Only one available for under 4000 :/ 

Even if the engine was both anemic and asthmatic.. It'd still be faster than my golf..

Except they also had quite a bit of problems, especially with gaskets. :/

Except they also had quite a bit of problems, especially with gaskets. :/

Dang it.. 77 Volare then

14 minutes ago, terrytek said:

not for 500 euros xD

i had found a mint E30 325ix 2 door ... sadly it was 2800 euros  .... thats 2800 more than i had then xD 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

4 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

not for 500 euros xD

i had found a mint E30 325ix 2 door ... sadly it was 2800 euros  .... thats 2800 more than i had then xD 

i never knew 4wd bmws went back that far. i thought that was like a 2004+ kinda thing.

42 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

I mean, it's the BMW that I have is my first car... And my first winter season with it went well, spite having super crappy winter tires. It's all about carrying momentum, and knowing where your limits are.

18 minutes ago, terrytek said:

From what I have heard, the xDrive system really err on the side of caution. Which is no fun when you are trying to have fun.

8 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

I mean, it's the BMW that I have is my first car... And my first winter season with it went well, spite having super crappy winter tires. It's all about carrying momentum, and knowing where your limits are.

From what I have heard, the xDrive system really err on the side of caution. Which is no fun when you are trying to have fun.

so xdrive is sorta like an overprotective mother who doesn't let her child have any fun?

26 minutes ago, terrytek said:

i never knew 4wd bmws went back that far. i thought that was like a 2004+ kinda thing.

yeah they did ... :D 

21 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

so just get good winter tires and don't be cocky and you are good? well then ... it may be a good option then 

14 minutes ago, terrytek said:

so xdrive is sorta like an overprotective mother who doesn't let her child have any fun?

and yeah ... thats about what i have heard about xdrive as well xD 

37 minutes ago, techswede said:

Dang it.. 77 Volare then

Or $200 in gaskets.

Or $200 in gaskets.

+ Machining. At which point i might as well port the heads and have the cylinders honed 

51 minutes ago, techswede said:

+ Machining. At which point i might as well port the heads and have the cylinders honed 

I think the oil pan was a bigger problem than the heads, especially since it's not like there's a wack-ton of pressure in the cylinders. Memory could be foggy though.

8 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I think the oil pan was a bigger problem than the heads, especially since it's not like there's a wack-ton of pressure in the cylinders. Memory could be foggy though.

Oil pan gaskets are pretty easy to sort out though

21 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Well it was hot enough today to where my gopro thermal shut down. Guess I'll have to take it out of the case during the summer when I'm not in the vehicle 

i'm glad it wasn't it hot as it was 7 years ago today. it was actually 108 degrees 7 years to this day, and it was that hot for 3 days straight.