Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

lol, like they can tow

that's what those ricer tow hooks are for, right?

Hmm, deciding between a Subaru Outback or a VW Passat Alltrack.

Volkswagen-Passat_Alltrack_2016_1280x960

119050-car-review-2015-subaru-outback-3-

To spec up the VW ($57,990) to the Subaru's ($59900) spec it's more expensive by around 7k but you get more features for example: 14 way seats w/ massage (comes stock with semi-manual seat controls!!!) vs 8 way in the Subaru, 3 zone climate stock in the VW vs 2 zone, plus the trick screen instead of the traditional dials. The reason why the VW's on the list is because with Dieselgate I think we can get a good deal closer to the price of the Subaru.

Opinions? 

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Hmm, deciding between a Subaru Outback or a VW Passat Alltrack.

To spec up the VW ($57,990) to the Subaru's ($59900) spec it's more expensive by around 7k but you get more features for example: 14 way seats w/ massage (comes stock with semi-manual seat controls!!!) vs 8 way in the Subaru, 3 zone climate stock in the VW vs 2 zone, plus the trick screen instead of the traditional dials. The reason why the VW's on the list is because with Dieselgate I think we can get a good deal closer to the price of the Subaru.

Opinions? 

The Passat definitely has a lot of good options, and i doubt Dieselgate would affect it much, if it has a gas engine, but the passat is god almighty ugly. do looks matter?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Since we're posting toolboxes, here's my service cart (more like mobile tool box because my shop is so small).

L5WPJlU.jpg

Top portion with most of my sockets, screwdrivers, ratchets, and other tools I constantly use.

vnAVjZz.jpg

Top two drawers, left has most of my standard sockets, extra sockets, extra ratchets, extensions that don't fit elsewhere. Right has my 1/4" stuff, punches, extra bolts and trim fasteners.

LMhBrrB.jpg

Drawer below the aforementioned left has silicone, dielectric, mirrors, tapes, markers, car keys, and where my phone goes.

s61p4yt.jpg

Long shallow drawer has most of my wrenches, gearwrenches, stubby wrenches, semi deep impacts, oil filter wrenches, beefy trim tool.

0aY9TJx.jpg

Long deep drawer is filled with crap. Pliers, vice grips, hose pliers, hose removers, poking tools, test lights, dmm, test leads, amp clip, infrared thermometer, magnetic spark plug socket kit.

IMOompP.jpg

Bottom tray holds mostly hammers, my air hammer, pry bars, line wrenches, die grinders.

Mb2xvxR.jpg

Side tray holds the money makers.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

1) how many turbos (and industrail supercharges maybe for some of them?) do they need

2) @Mayback123 pick one of these for whatever you were looking for a turbo to put on (actually that Powerstroke Turbo I posted a picture would be perfect for you I'd imagine)

attachicon.gifturbos.jpg

spelled my user name wrong :P but ya i might start small scale with one of those powerstroke turbos. then see if i could pull some funding from the school to get a train turbo use the excuse that its a class project :lol:

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

so, i'm kinda deciding what to name my future car. i want it 7 digits, so i can fit it on a california license plate, and preferably female.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

The Passat definitely has a lot of good options, and i doubt Dieselgate would affect it much, if it has a gas engine, but the passat is god almighty ugly. do looks matter?

No, I'm talking about about the bad wrap VW has now and leverage that to our advantage. The red in the picture looks a bit outlandish so we'd be getting one like this:

999430776_14.jpg

It is a diesel with 140kw and 400nm torque compared to the Subaru Outback 3.6R's 191kw and 350nm torque. Obviously the VW consumes less gas. I personally like both looks in different ways. While I like the angular, perhaps aggressive looks of the Passat I also like the more curvaceous but more rugged look of the Outback. 

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

No, I'm talking about about the bad wrap VW has now and leverage that to our advantage. The red in the picture looks a bit outlandish so we'd be getting one like this:

999430776_14.jpg

It is a diesel with 140kw and 400nm torque compared to the Subaru Outback 3.6R's 191kw and 350nm torque. Obviously the VW consumes less gas. I personally like both looks in different ways. While I like the angular, perhaps aggressive looks of the Passat I also like the more curvaceous but more rugged look of the Outback. 

well the passat is more loaded and more comfortable, not to mention more torquey. it's pretty obvious.

Bethany? Kiaria? Adrian?

don't really like those. anything else

sorry i'm picky.

Kristen? Abigale? Your 7 letter requirement limit is throwing my ideas.

i mean if california also allows 6 letter plates, maybe i'll allow it.

@terrytek Jessica?

weird because that's my girlfriend's name too.

@terrytek Rachel

Lauren

lauren actually seems like a good name. my friends and girlfriend probably won't mind

Shouldn't. As long as you don't take the M5 to the movies more than the lady ;)

i mean i'm debating either jessica or lauren. probably my girlfriend naming my car jessica would be either cute or weird, or both lol

use an anagram or something and pick your favorite

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

well the passat is more loaded and more comfortable, not to mention more torquey. it's pretty obvious.

Yeah, only if we can get a 65k car to the price we get for an Outback...

Urethane, looks damn good.

It makes putting fenders on really damn hard.

One pin on the bottom still refuse to go into the hole. Even with ratchet straps and a hammer.

At least it looks like a El Co again.

P.s. I hate snow.

Before: 2.jpg

After working on it today:

12573172_920605838029716_494581722743378

12553059_920605864696380_902268999809139

Full gallery: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/109303867442757784823/albums/6161964238351546577

Systems built (personal) | 1. Bad Wolf (Has passed on to PC Heaven): https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/zX9WGX |  2. Red Husky: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/Mwhypg

Systems built (for commission) | 1. Red Fox: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/W4LD4D | 2. Not Namedhttp://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/TMhqqs 3. Bad Wolf 2.0: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/7p8Ycf upgraded Bad Wolf to an I3-7100 for my friend as a gift|

so you can do a few mods to a brand new golf GTI and get 400hp out of it.

What a world we live in. Speed limits still the same tho.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

What has everyone here named their rides actually. That's a good thing to discuss for people that do name their cars. The S10 is Beth, when I get the 'Burb I think its gonna be Flora

The Explorer my buddy drives is named "Damnit" I think.

My corolla is called "The White Turd". And yes I know MCM named a car that too but I didn't know they existed when i named it :P

Spoiler

Me this whole video (don't get me wrong, aside from breaking the 6.0, this looks like loads of fun, but after it got stuck, it was just, oh fuck... oohhhh shit. Well fuck, shit, HIT IT HARDER WOOOO)

-snip-

wow you're like the first person i've seen use one of those lifted trucks xD

sorry about the headgasket though. thats no fun.

Spoiler

LOL This wasn't me! I just found this video after watching Powerstrokehelp videos. Diesels are interesting to me and if I don't end up procharging my suburban when I get one, I'll be putting a 6.6 duramax in it along with an alison tranny. :P

Diesels can be cool but I just prefer gasoline engines. Don't really know why. I like my higher RPM's and I prefer the way they sound. But should diesel vs electric ever become a thing I will probably support diesel. 

My only problem with electric is the best youll get is a whining noise that no one likes lol

Spoiler

Yes, Louisiana drivers are this bad. Glad this didn't happen to me on my driving test lol, what luck?

Idiots never paying attention they don't even notice the big bold letters on the car...

00b3cb0bab9f42fb8110644c851cd7a8.jpg

(Pic from friend)

Spoiler

"this car makes spaceship noises..."

#SpaceshipNoises are best noises.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB