Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

I'm all for the stricter requirements, like a more intensive actual driving portion of the test, and with those larger vehicles, most of the people driving them know if they're going to fit or not.

EDIT: Example, I was in a turn lane, a lifted f250 came around the corner at an intersection, and squeezed between a parked car hauler blocking most of his lane and his mirror cleared the roof of my s10. He knew he was gonna fit. I'm OK with that.

they should really make being able to drive stick PLUS driving on the freeway a requirement.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

My tail lights and rear indicator lights share a bulb, so no one would know if you're braking if your lights are clicking on and off.

in it's defense, you do have a light on the other side that would stay solid to serve as a brake light while the other is flashing. I've seen many trucks with that. Never bothered me.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Funny, it really bothers me being behind cars without amber turn signals...yet none of my cars have rear ambers :P

Edit: And if people are tailgating me, instead of giving them a brake check or something. I just flash my rear fog light at them for a little bit...

As long as it is safe to do so, I like downshifting instead of brake checking people that are following way to close. Flashing the brake lights makes them know you are being a jerk, but slowing down from a downshift with no lights makes 'em really think about what they are doing.

I think the sharing brake/turn light is just something manufacturers use to lower production costs.

Not really. You have to run the brake switch voltage through the multifunction switch in order for it to be able to signal while pressing on your brake. Often times the multifunction switch will fail and cause the 3rd brake light to work and the two tail lights not to light up while braking.

Its just another failure point to make some money off of.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

Not really. You have to run the brake switch voltage through the multifunction switch in order for it to be able to signal while pressing on your brake. Often times the multifunction switch will fail and cause the 3rd brake light to work and the two tail lights not to light up while braking.

Its just another failure point to make some money off of.

Shows what I know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

rear fog light? Huh. Never heard of that.

Turning the rear fog light on generally lights up one of the red lights, similar to a brake light. On my car, it's the lower left light on the trunk that lights up.

BMW_E46_rear_20080822.jpg

-Snip-

Thanks for the explanation. After seeing how terrible people here (Germany) drive, and you have to do considerably more than in the US , I wouldn't want to drive in the over there. I assume that the license laws are differentfrom state to state?

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

As long as it is safe to do so, I like downshifting instead of brake checking people that are following way to close. Flashing the brake lights makes them know you are being a jerk, but slowing down from a downshift with no lights makes 'em really think about what they are doing.

hmm I should try this *gets rear ended going 60mph*

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Thanks for the explanation. After seeing how terrible people here (Germany) drive, and you have to do considerably more than in the US , I wouldn't want to drive in the over there. I assume that the license laws are differentfrom state to state?

they are but not much as far as I know... This is Louisiana though (the southern states where we all get hunt alligators and yell "choot em y'all!!!" so you know... they have some crazy people here lol) (im joking btw... we are not that uncivilized... but there are some areas you can go to that are like that!)

Spoiler

Yarding on the ebrake also doesn't click the taillights click on

wish They would tell people to use the ebrake in drivers ed should the brakes fail... Happened to my mom once, sudden master cylinder failure in a SUBURBAN (an old one we used to have, not the 07 we have now) (try stopping one of those without brakes!). I was little and didn't know at the time. But she knows now lol. 

Spoiler

I really want a 98 or later Camaro with the LS1. Not because I like the body of that Camaro. But LS. Yeah. LS

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Sorry to everyone who is following this thread, and gets notifications about any and all posts...

me haha. I turned off notifications on my phone but I just browse them on my 1440p screen. Surprisingly quick to go through them on there. I can easily see if I have notifications from other threads usually.

Spoiler

Yarding on the ebrake also doesn't click the taillights click on

Totally, I almost edited my post with that too :lol:

Sorry to everyone who is following this thread, and gets notifications about any and all posts...

That's why I don't follow this thread because i know there will always be content :lol:

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

You would think people would know to use the Emergency brake when theres a large mechanical failure. Ofc an electronic one won't be all that helpful if the alternator fails and you ran the battery dead.

Yeah that is my biggest peeve with the foot e-brakes, no way to use those with decent control in an emergency situation.

I've never blown a line or lost a seal on a master cylinder before, but I've sucked air into a system when on a steep incline and was very glad to have full rear brakes in that situation when the pedal got squishy.

I prefer the foot style. Need to slow down? step on that sucker. Ive stepped on it a few times in parking lot to see what it would do.

It's probably just because there is no way to let off of it slowly. With the handbrake, you can just hold the button and apply more/less friction without having to release the whole way. I like stepping on them, but popping it back out has no control :P

the E-brake on both the Tundra and Sienna have probably never been used as long as we have owned them. My dad is a little afraid that they'll get stuck on. :P

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

It's probably just because there is no way to let off of it slowly. With the handbrake, you can just hold the button and apply more/less friction without having to release the whole way. I like stepping on them, but popping it back out has no control :P

you could just reach the release handle and hold it and modulate the pedal, no? 

guess it depends on where it's located whether you can hold it or not.

Spoiler

Any pranks you've pulled on your buddies cars? My favorites are wiring the horn into the brake pedal, and zip ties on the drive shaft. My buddy and his dad got in a fight and his dad took a spark plug to work with him. Buddy went out to go to school and his car wouldn't stay running.

totally have to prank my friend now. does anyone know how to wire the horn to the brake pedal on a 1998-2001 Camry?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

totally have to prank my friend now. does anyone know how to wire the horn to the brake pedal on a 1998-2001 Camry?

haha I've heard of people doing this a lot. Is there a simple way of doing it?(jumper in a fuse box or something) it seems like a lot of work for a prank lol

Spoiler

hahaha i wanna kinda do that to my friend's range rover evoque, just to mess with her lmao

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I prefer the foot style. Need to slow down? step on that sucker. Ive stepped on it a few times in parking lot to see what it would do.

i like the lever better. you can control the travel of the pedal. and forget about those electronic e brakes. sure they're cool, but they're lame as well.

i don't care. i'm glad to get 200 notifications in a day.

haha I've heard of people doing this a lot. Is there a simple way of doing it?(jumper in a fuse box or something) it seems like a lot of work for a prank lol

yeah, but it would be so funny, especially because he'd wouldn't freak out, just be a little pissed, and he doesn't know too much about cars, so he probably wouldn't know how to fix it. it would be sooooo great.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

hahaha i wanna kinda do that to my friend's range rover evoque, just to mess with her lmao

That prank might be better suited for older vehicles. I doubt that the Evoque's onboard computer will allow tinkering with critical components. Either that or it's going to go completely crazy if you can find a way to trick the bus system

Molex to SATA, lose all your data