Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I would be using the stuff but my rear and front main seals leak too much for me to want to use full synthetic. After the motor rebuild whenever that happens I'll use it after the first change.

But because the tranny and rear end don't leak at all, I'll start using it nest service :D 

surprisingly, on the protege especially, it doesn't leak at all (actually the van does leak, but thicker oil seemed to seal it), so full synthetic oil actually works fine with the car.

and you plan on rebuilding the motor? how many miles does your truck have? i'm surprised you are considering a rebuild, and it sounds like you had this planned. i never knew this.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

5 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I'd personally prefer a slightly rough around the edges for a little bit less money :/ 

probably that's the lowest i'll ever see an an impreza. over here, they sell for north of 20 grand.

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

Naw. Just want to start saving for when the motor goes hopefully in a really long time (like in 200,000 from now). I want a super mild cam, roller rockers, 0.03 overbore, and at that time I'd like to do a gm 8.5" rear end swap and rear disk conversion. (also gonna need to have the driveshaft shortened.)

Truck is just getting to 150k miles so unless something goes horribly wrong its gonna take a long while. Just want to refresh the motor and add some power. The thing I'm most excited about is the cam and roller rockers. Efficiency FTW

i see you've got goals to work for. right now i'm just trying to get insurance to drive around. it sucks it's crazy expensive. and the the thing is, i know a friend who drives an evo x to school, but it only costs him like 50 bucks a month to insure.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

@bcredeur97 The best I could do given the game wanted to crash every 60 seconds.

Forza Horizon 3 2016-10-20 6_47_52 PM.pngForza Horizon 3 2016-10-20 6_48_39 PM.pngForza Horizon 3 2016-10-20 6_30_44 PM.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

6 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I think I've posted that before. Fuckin idiot driver.

20 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Well shite. Maybe I won't be using Royal Purple gear oil. Not only does it come with a friction modifier already in it, but 80w-90 is only available in a 5 gallon bucket.

I don't see a problem here, just get a 5 gallon overflow tank that feeds in to your differential. That way when it starts leaking in 200k you don't have to worry about it for another 200k.

#flawlesslogic

22 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

@bcredeur97 The best I could do given the game wanted to crash every 60 seconds.

-snip-

:o Looks awesome! what game is that?! Lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

it looks like a forza game, either motorsport 6 or horizon 3, since the garage looks pretty similar in both.

18 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I think I found a solution. I'll run Marine oil in my rear end. They're touting this as some serious shit on their website.

are you even able to use marine oil in your diff? like will it still lube it the same way normal car diff oil will?

10 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

8 minutes ago, terrytek said:

it looks like a forza game, either motorsport 6 or horizon 3, since the garage looks pretty similar in both.

are you even able to use marine oil in your diff? like will it still lube it the same way normal car diff oil will?

It's Horizon 3. The details are most impressive, despite the bugs.

Forza Horizon 3 2016-10-20 7_22_43 PM.pngForza Horizon 3 2016-10-20 8_04_02 PM.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

9 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Forza Horizon 3 2016-10-20 7_22_43 PM.pngForza Horizon 3 2016-10-20 8_04_02 PM.png

wow cant wait till these make there way to gta v mods.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

14 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

is it on pc ? if so where the hell do i buy ?

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

2 minutes ago, Midnitewarrior4 said:

microsoft store .... only on Windows 10 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

3 minutes ago, Midnitewarrior4 said:

1 minute ago, Mister2010 said:

^^^^ essentially. and i think you need the anniversary edition as well for it to work...no? idk my pc can't run it guaranteed so idk if you even needed the update for it to work, bc apex needs it for it to to work.

1 minute ago, Mister2010 said:

holy mother of god its 80$........  is it worth the money ? i got no one to play with.. well maybe you guys, and ive never bopught through the ms store do i just get a prepaid visa or something ?

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

and a car thread ! 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

^^^^ essentially. and i think you need the anniversary edition as well for it to work...no? idk my pc can't run it guaranteed so idk if you even needed the update for it to work, bc apex needs it for it to to work.

it says theres the standard edition then the premium, doesnt say anything about it not working on pc :/ idk got a 4690k overclocked and a gtx970 overclocked so i should be able to run it

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

3 minutes ago, terrytek said:

why would you need the aniversary edition? .... just windows 10 should do ... in theory ....

holy mother of god its 80$........  is it worth the money ? i got no one to play with.. well maybe you guys, and ive never bopught through the ms store do i just get a prepaid visa or something ?

a ton of people are saying that its not worth it ... but then again ... it seems to be quite good even with its faults (i dont have it since my pc would just melt it self when i would start the game up ) 

idk .. never bought anything from the MS store maybe @chaozbandit knows more about it 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

well im torn guys, i want a truck so i can haul my boat and my stuff but ive wanted a miata for a while now.... heres a decent miata, with a hard top for 2700$.... idk what i should do, we get alot of snow here and it would have to be my daily, do i buy the miata or do i save up over the winter and get a decent used truck or suv ? if i got the miata id definetly set it for for street/track with coils roll cage, good tires then eventually turbo it

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/sudbury/1990-mazda-mx-5-miata-convertible/1209390546?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

well im torn guys, i want a truck so i can haul my boat and my stuff but ive wanted a miata for a while now.... heres a decent miata, with a hard top for 2700$.... idk what i should do, we get alot of snow here and it would have to be my daily, do i buy the miata or do i save up over the winter and get a decent used truck or suv ? if i got the miata id definetly set it for for street/track with coils roll cage, good tires then eventually turbo it

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/sudbury/1990-mazda-mx-5-miata-convertible/1209390546?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

i'm in the same dilemma. i want a truck or an suv, preferrably something somewhat small like a 4runner or a taco, to offroad and have some fun in, but i want something i can tinker with and leave some 11s behind, and i've been wanting an e39 m5 for like forever. but the truck is more utilitarian and practical and better for offroading, but the bmw is no doubt more comfortable and faster too, not to mention sounds a whole lot better than a v6 tacoma/4runner with a 5 liter DOHC v8. but to answer your question, i'd get a truck as a daily if it snows a lot. a miata that's stuck in snow is no fun.

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

i'm in the same dilemma. i want a truck or an suv, preferrably something somewhat small like a 4runner or a taco, to offroad and have some fun in, but i want something i can tinker with and leave some 11s behind, and i've been wanting an e39 m5 for like forever. but the truck is more utilitarian and practical and better for offroading, but the bmw is no doubt more comfortable and faster too, not to mention sounds a whole lot better than a v6 tacoma/4runner with a 5 liter DOHC v8. but to answer your question, i'd get a truck as a daily if it snows a lot. a miata that's stuck in snow is no fun.

ya, miata-> fun, one of my dream cars, 

truck-> boring, pratical daily 

if i had the room id buy both but i dont think my parents would enjoy tho vehicles added in the driveway

Spoiler

and a car thread ! 

5 minutes ago, Midnitewarrior4 said:

if i had the room id buy both but i dont think my parents would enjoy tho vehicles added in the driveway

boring? trucks can be fun, give them good suspension with a couple inches lift, some good rims and tires, and you can have something that can offroad and still be able to tow a decent amount.

58 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I just won't install the gasket, that way its a perpetual gear oil change.

Perfect!

7 minutes ago, Midnitewarrior4 said:

M8ie I can drift every corner if I wanted to, I wouldn't say trucks are boring. ;)

8 hours ago, GlassBomb said:

Jeez what a hunk of shit. Why would you own something that was constantly in the shop even if covered under warranty? Just not a confidence inspiring vehicle that you can trust to get you there and back.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

1 minute ago, vetali said:

Jeez what a hunk of shit. Why would you own something that was constantly in the shop even if covered under warranty? Just not a confidence inspiring vehicle that you can trust to get you there and back.

thought the same thing when I watched that. Well, albeit with a bit less profanity lol

Land Rover is pretty bad.... i mean if you're gonna make an expensive car -- at least make the parts last a decent amount of time. This is especially poor considering it's an OFF ROAD VEHICLE. No way would I trust that thing to get me across a desert or even through a field  by my house, for that matter LOL

Spoiler

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

Don't even need to lift them really if they have good tires on it.

Depends on the stock ground clearance of the truck. Bigger tires help, only thing I would do differently is tougher shocks over stock, not necessarily a lift. Creates too high of a CoG imo.

8 minutes ago, terrytek said:

boring? small trucks can be fun, give them good, lowered, suspension with a couple inch drop, some good, light rims and sticky tires, and you can have something that can smoke econoboxes and still be able to tow a decent amount.

FTFY

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

thought the same thing when I watched that. Well, albeit with a bit less profanity lol

Land Rover is pretty bad.... i mean if you're gonna make an expensive car -- at least make the parts last a decent amount of time. This is especially poor considering it's an OFF ROAD VEHICLE. No way would I trust that thing to get me across a desert or even through a field  by my house, for that matter LOL

Repetitive failures of the same part just tells me they're not making revisions. 

Today I started on the VR6 job. I now am more confident in my opinion that VW is crap as well. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max