Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, iDeFecZx said:

Mines been faultless in over 60k miles 🤷‍♂️

I'm seeing them with 160,000 miles though, you know it'll all go to shit over 100,000 miles. Plastic fittings in the hot V with turbo's means an endless supply of small coolant leaks which require obscene labor to repair. It's less bad if you're a home wrencher and have unlimited time and don't pay someone $150 an hour to do it for you. Every one I've seen has coolant leaks in bad  places, one I did fix was a pain in the ass and that was only the currently broken part at the front and not a complete nightmare, the turbos didn't have to come out just a bunch of other piping and parts. It's a great design from a packaging and design standpoint but not from a longevity and servicing standpoint.

3 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Hehe I get it buuut.. I would think if someone doesn't know their chassis maybe they should see professionals about troubleshooting their car anyway.

And I'm the professional trying to figure out wtf the internet is talking about when I run into an obscure poorly documented problem, part, or repair that my service info has a 500x500 pixel image of and 3 sentences about. It's a little frustrating lol.

22 minutes ago, Bitter said:

And I'm the professional trying to figure out wtf the internet is talking about when I run into an obscure poorly documented problem, part, or repair that my service info has a 500x500 pixel image of and 3 sentences about. It's a little frustrating lol.

Ouch I feel that man, lol. I bet that sometimes even 3 short sentances is generous and that sometimes customer simply states "there is something wrong with the car" hehe..

47 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Ouch I feel that man, lol. I bet that sometimes even 3 short sentances is generous and that sometimes customer simply states "there is something wrong with the car" hehe..

Not even talking about customer complaints "It's loud sometimes, fix it" I mean service information can be that shitty on some cars. I'll have a blurry blob in the middle of a picture that's been blown up from 96x96px to full screen and under it will be 'The intake ion converter is located here, remove the following items to service it: Tube 3A, Pipe 7B, Wire Harness 11" and no further explanation or imagery of what or where these parts are or located or their removal. I have to lean on Google and Youtube for some how-to information for some cars that are poorly documented like most Euro brands are and especially anything from the last 5-6 years. I can't know everything about every car but thankfully I've got a good knack for retaining information like this instead of important things like birthdays or what day trash goes out or what time it is currently.

35 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Not even talking about customer complaints "It's loud sometimes, fix it" I mean service information can be that shitty on some cars. I'll have a blurry blob in the middle of a picture that's been blown up from 96x96px to full screen and under it will be 'The intake ion converter is located here, remove the following items to service it: Tube 3A, Pipe 7B, Wire Harness 11" and no further explanation or imagery of what or where these parts are or located or their removal. I have to lean on Google and Youtube for some how-to information for some cars that are poorly documented like most Euro brands are and especially anything from the last 5-6 years. I can't know everything about every car but thankfully I've got a good knack for retaining information like this instead of important things like birthdays or what day trash goes out or what time it is currently.

Oh yeah, now I get it. I like to work on cars and educated myself to be a mechanic but sometimes I'm glad I changed my mind. I got my own car to work with, 2002 BMW 5-series which is easy to work on for the most part. I don't even wanna touch a car made the last 5 or so years hehe.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Best is when someone calls with an engine code into parts. Yeaaah we can't look up by engine code, or even chassis code.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

That usually works, though I hate when places lay out their forums by designation with no explanation. Like a BMW forum with E36, F22, etc but no (3 series 1990-1996) or something after so non BMW people don't have to Google what in the shit ass is a BMW F22.

but thats the same as saying nissan S13 and R32? 
I do agree though .. forums should name the model and year ranges and then chassis code for the nerds 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

4 hours ago, Bitter said:

but not from a longevity and servicing standpoint.

Yeah, those two are the unwanted category nowadays when it comes to designing practically anything.... 😕

4 hours ago, vetali said:

Best is when someone calls with an engine code into parts. Yeaaah we can't look up by engine code, or even chassis code.

Yep, last 8 of the VIN but sometimes the whole thing.

There's one particular car that one particular year the last 8 are FUxxxxxx which always gets a giggle from the parts dept when I call for stuff. I preface with 'ok nothing personal but eff you'. Ha, another time we had a H2 in the shop and the owner was looking to replace busted rear air suspension, we had a call into the dealer and they'd call back. So the next day our old secretary comes out and tells me 'Jennifer with Chevy is on line 1 about the Hummer' and I'm like OK let me grab it in the office where I can hear. Boss happened to be in there doing some paper work too, I grab the phone and say nonchalantly and as dead pan as possible 'Hey this is Bitter with SoAndSo, Cindy told me to talk to you about a Hummer' well my boss absolutely lost his shit. Was laughing so hard he doubled over choking turning red, Cindy the secretary is clueless 'what's so funny' and I'm trying to have a nice conversation with the parts lady about a Hummer! Took about 5 minutes for boss to regain his composure, Jennifer told me about how the guys make a lot of jokes about rear ends and lube around the shop, we all had a chuckle.

Though nothing beats the time a Lexus launched a headlight washer nozzle out of the bumper like an ICBM at me followed by a fat rope of washer fluid arcing through the air. I screamed like a little girl, tripped on my own legs, and fell thud onto the floor. All my boss saw from inside the car was my eyes go wide, my face twist up, I screamed, then vanished under the hood  line. I'm laughing too hard to say anything, he's laughing too hard to breathe, and poor guy across the shop just hears a scream and sees me laying on the floor, no one can tell him what's going on.

55 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Yep, last 8 of the VIN but sometimes the whole thing.

There's one particular car that one particular year the last 8 are FUxxxxxx which always gets a giggle from the parts dept when I call for stuff. I preface with 'ok nothing personal but eff you'. Ha, another time we had a H2 in the shop and the owner was looking to replace busted rear air suspension, we had a call into the dealer and they'd call back. So the next day our old secretary comes out and tells me 'Jennifer with Chevy is on line 1 about the Hummer' and I'm like OK let me grab it in the office where I can hear. Boss happened to be in there doing some paper work too, I grab the phone and say nonchalantly and as dead pan as possible 'Hey this is Bitter with SoAndSo, Cindy told me to talk to you about a Hummer' well my boss absolutely lost his shit. Was laughing so hard he doubled over choking turning red, Cindy the secretary is clueless 'what's so funny' and I'm trying to have a nice conversation with the parts lady about a Hummer! Took about 5 minutes for boss to regain his composure, Jennifer told me about how the guys make a lot of jokes about rear ends and lube around the shop, we all had a chuckle.

Though nothing beats the time a Lexus launched a headlight washer nozzle out of the bumper like an ICBM at me followed by a fat rope of washer fluid arcing through the air. I screamed like a little girl, tripped on my own legs, and fell thud onto the floor. All my boss saw from inside the car was my eyes go wide, my face twist up, I screamed, then vanished under the hood  line. I'm laughing too hard to say anything, he's laughing too hard to breathe, and poor guy across the shop just hears a scream and sees me laying on the floor, no one can tell him what's going on.

With Honda its the whole VIN. Some of the Hybrid CR-Vs were gifted with the 7FART at the start of the VIN.

Funny enough the shop here starts getting giggly when a Hummer rolls in.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

I'm seeing them with 160,000 miles though, you know it'll all go to shit over 100,000 miles. Plastic fittings in the hot V with turbo's means an endless supply of small coolant leaks which require obscene labor to repair. It's less bad if you're a home wrencher and have unlimited time and don't pay someone $150 an hour to do it for you. Every one I've seen has coolant leaks in bad  places, one I did fix was a pain in the ass and that was only the currently broken part at the front and not a complete nightmare, the turbos didn't have to come out just a bunch of other piping and parts. It's a great design from a packaging and design standpoint but not from a longevity and servicing standpoint

F22s only have inline engines with biggest being the B58 i6, im guessing youre confusing them for the 5/6 series with the 4.4 v8s

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

16 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

F22s only have inline engines with biggest being the B58 i6, im guessing youre confusing them for the 5/6 series with the 4.4 v8s

Yeah probably, F23 then? Heck if I know. It was like $400 in parts for 3 bags of tiny hoses with plastic T fittings and a couple gaskets.

On 6/25/2022 at 1:17 PM, bcredeur97 said:

I’d say for $1k you did GREAT. Not much that can pull anything or even move period for that much money nowadays 

Better photo of the setup in the daylight. Even if it did only get 10mpg on the highway with the trailer 😅

Elsewise did phenomenal 

PXL_20220626_210810350.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

New place has a carport, and holy hell does covered parking make a world of difference. Never actually had covered parking, closest has been under a tree. But now I've got somewhere to store my work truck and personal car. GF had claimed the driveway since the alleyway to the carport ain't exactly great condition. But for a fullsize truck, and suv it's just fine

PXL_20220628_005219398.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

6 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

New place has a carport, and holy hell does covered parking make a world of difference. Never actually had covered parking, closest has been under a tree. But now I've got somewhere to store my work truck and personal car. GF had claimed the driveway since the alleyway to the carport ain't exactly great condition. But for a fullsize truck, and suv it's just fine

PXL_20220628_005219398.jpg

Put some sides on the car port and that'll help shelter them from wind/rain even more as will having the back end enclosed. It'll be like a garage without a door, 3 sides closed is better than having 4 wide open. Looks like you could extend the cement pad a little more toward the poles on one side too if you wanted or needed to.

42 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Yeah probably, F23 then? Heck if I know. It was like $400 in parts for 3 bags of tiny hoses with plastic T fittings and a couple gaskets.

F10/F13

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

15 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Mines been faultless in over 60k miles 🤷‍♂️

You must be lying.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

3 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

You must be lying.

Of course I am, its a bmw its spent its whole life broken

15 hours ago, vetali said:

That's a system limitation/failure.  Not the fault of the consumer.

That system is set up as though no one ever modifies their vehicles--EVER.  So I blame the idiots who programmed it.  Sure, there's a lot of codes to enter--and it won't happen overnight.  But it's inane to be telling me that a W4A33 transmission you can't look up directly, because your system will only pull from mode/year--which either returns an F4A33/F5M33 or a W6MG1/W5M33.  And that's but one example.

2 hours ago, IPD said:

That system is set up as though no one ever modifies their vehicles--EVER.  So I blame the idiots who programmed it.  Sure, there's a lot of codes to enter--and it won't happen overnight.  But it's inane to be telling me that a W4A33 transmission you can't look up directly, because your system will only pull from mode/year--which either returns an F4A33/F5M33 or a W6MG1/W5M33.  And that's but one example.

No, that's idiot proofing. Always order dealer parts by VIN or if you give them a part number MAKE SURE they cross it by your VIN to make sure it's correct to your car. If they order the wrong part because you gave them the wrong information then YOU are stuck with the wrong part.

3 hours ago, IPD said:

I prefer it as is. Most these goombas that get past that minor obstacle will order the part then flake out anyway leading to nonreturnable inventory. Weeds them out. Try going to an Advance Auto and telling them you need a belt for a B18, they'll tell you the GNC is down the road.

14 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

--

You can also do some washing and detailing under there even when it's sunny outside. I'd love a covered area like that.

21 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Of course I am, its a bmw its spent its whole life broken

You need an older one. 😂

38 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

You need an older one. 😂

I'm looking at some BMWs and every single one of them is owned by a dork, like stupid modifications such as putting flag pictures on sides, blacking out the entire car, etc... they're also very hefty on mileage. 

The Insignia / Buick looks like a much better buy. Owners aren't as bad and it offers more than the old BMWs in its price range. The only redeeming quality of the BMW over that turtle Aisin transmission found on Insignia is the ZF6HP, but I've seen it shift slow on some BMWs as well so... yeah.

1 hour ago, Motifator said:

I'm looking at some BMWs and every single one of them is owned by a dork, like stupid modifications such as putting flag pictures on sides, blacking out the entire car, etc... they're also very hefty on mileage. 

The Insignia / Buick looks like a much better buy. Owners aren't as bad and it offers more than the old BMWs in its price range. The only redeeming quality of the BMW over that turtle Aisin transmission found on Insignia is the ZF6HP, but I've seen it shift slow on some BMWs as well so... yeah.

Imagine thinking an inshitnia is a better buy than literally anything else