Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Actually I just saw PAW and thought it was cute, don't know anything beyond that but now I'm concerned LOL!

I don't think we got that Saab stateside. We did get a Saabaru though! And a weird Chevy/Saab SUV that was just different looking parts tacked on a late model Buick Rainier mostly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_9-7X

I guess it was a matter of time before this happened because diesel cars are so uncommon here outside of large pickup trucks, I was filling my car up with fuel minding my own business today when all of a sudden some guy starts yelling at me saying im putting diesel in my car. 

I was just looked over and nodded my head yes and kept pumping fuel. the dude just said "Ohhh" lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I guess it was a matter of time before this happened because diesel cars are so uncommon here outside of large pickup trucks, I was filling my car up with fuel minding my own business today when all of a sudden some guy starts yelling at me saying im putting diesel in my car. 

I was just looked over and nodded my head yes and kept pumping fuel. the dude just said "Ohhh" lol

Should have yelled back 'oh god no not again!' then kept pumping.

Couple years ago someone flagged me down as I walked away from my Mazda to tell me I'd left the lights on. I know how long they take to time out, waited a second, turned and said 'Are you sure?', they turned and looked and they were off, turned back and looked me me VERY confused.

On 4/24/2022 at 7:36 PM, Bitter said:

Should have yelled back 'oh god no not again!' then kept pumping.

Couple years ago someone flagged me down as I walked away from my Mazda to tell me I'd left the lights on. I know how long they take to time out, waited a second, turned and said 'Are you sure?', they turned and looked and they were off, turned back and looked me me VERY confused.

Lol I wish I had said that.

22 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

"Go juice is go juice"

it still burns

Question -- will a skyactiv-X motor kinda work if you put diesel in it, since the CR(16.3:1) is so high? or even if you ran like a diesel/gas mixture

I mean the VAG 3.0TDI is only 17.0:1. It's almost the same lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On 4/25/2022 at 4:57 AM, Bitter said:

Actually I just saw PAW and thought it was cute, don't know anything beyond that but now I'm concerned LOL!

I don't think we got that Saab stateside. We did get a Saabaru though! And a weird Chevy/Saab SUV that was just different looking parts tacked on a late model Buick Rainier mostly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_9-7X

Its a reference to a pop culture adult website… but yes theyre fundraiser custom plates and i have rescue animals at home lol

you did have an NG 9-5 but theres so few globally that its non existant. Only sold for a year and a bit.

On 4/24/2022 at 11:21 PM, volatus146 said:

ahhhhh i see you are also a man of culture who realises they arent random numbers...

ive honestly not found many issues in terms of parts, apart from replacement body panels.

i get stuff locally, or through Rock Auto in the US. everything thats leaking on my car right now is pretty standard for any car thats 14 years old now... Rock Auto to the rescue on that lol. just some cheap gaskets that need to be replaced here n there. Nothing overly complicated to replace thankfully.

one of THESE however... a guy here in Aus had his writtten off by the insurer because they couldnt source a rear window. thats it. its not TECHNICALLY a saab, or a GM car.

i so want a NG 9-5 for some dumb reason, but the one i want is literally unobtanium .... 9-5 sportswagon with the 2.8T engine ... nor could i afford it if i found one for sale

On 4/24/2022 at 11:57 PM, Bitter said:

9-2x, 9-3. 9-4x, 9-5, and 9-7x should all have been available in the usa. Europe didnt get the 9-4x and 9-7x (if it did then no one bought them), not fully sure about the 9-2x

9-6x was a concept of another saabaru (based on the tribeca) that never made it to production 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Restored the headlights on the Gf's lifted beetle. Driver side came out so good you can see my reflection in the morning sunlight 

20220425_183447.jpg20220425_185249.jpg20220425_185556.jpg20220426_073815.jpg20220426_073842.jpg20220426_073853.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

1 hour ago, PandaCopyRight said:

i so want a NG 9-5 for some dumb reason, but the one i want is literally unobtanium .... 9-5 sportswagon with the 2.8T engine ... nor could i afford it if i found one for sale

9-2x, 9-3. 9-4x, 9-5, and 9-7x should all have been available in the usa. Europe didnt get the 9-4x and 9-7x (if it did then no one bought them), not fully sure about the 9-2x

9-6x was a concept of another saabaru (based on the tribeca) that never made it to production 

heres literally the only 9-5NG for sale in Australia. well overpriced.

not quite sure how two bumpers and a side skirt cost him $20k but there ya go lol

the Vector is the mid-spec car, Hirsch is a performance tuner that worked alongside saab

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2011-saab-9-5-vector-auto-my11/SSE-AD-12603372/?Cr=0

1 hour ago, volatus146 said:

heres literally the only 9-5NG for sale in Australia. well overpriced.

not quite sure how two bumpers and a side skirt cost him $20k but there ya go lol

the Vector is the mid-spec car, Hirsch is a performance tuner that worked alongside saab

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2011-saab-9-5-vector-auto-my11/SSE-AD-12603372/?Cr=0

Hirsch bits are fucking expensive so that + how rare NG 9-5s are may explain the price.

the only NG 9-5 for sale here is about 9k euros  ... roughly 13.5k AUD? 
But its a basic bitch diesel with an automatic and 303k km on the clock 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Restored the headlights on the Gf's lifted beetle. Driver side came out so good you can see my reflection in the morning sunlight 

20220425_183447.jpg20220425_185249.jpg20220425_185556.jpg20220426_073815.jpg20220426_073842.jpg20220426_073853.jpg

Why on the car tho? They come out so easily! Pull em out and sand them down with 5K then hand them off to a painter for some 2K clear w/flex and you'll never have to mess with them again.

55 minutes ago, Bitter said:

They come out so easily! 

Not these ones! I had to replace light bulbs in these and boy are these a PITA to get in/out. The locking mechanism looks simple and actually well thought out but I think 24 years and 125k miles have caused things to get misaligned / stretched/broken. The passenger light took me half an hour to get back in. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

4 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Not these ones! I had to replace light bulbs in these and boy are these a PITA to get in/out. The locking mechanism looks simple and actually well thought out but I think 24 years and 125k miles have caused things to get misaligned / stretched/broken. The passenger light took me half an hour to get back in. 

Soak them down with WD40 and just keep working them back and forth, I mechanic in Chicago so I know all about salt and seized stuff. Once you get them free and working they're an absolute breeze and probably the best thing on the car. Pray you never do a timing belt, radiator, ac condenser, etc since those are nose off jobs and if you don't like rusty stuck stuff you're going to hate pulling the nose off the car.

On 4/25/2022 at 7:22 PM, bcredeur97 said:

it still burns

Question -- will a skyactiv-X motor kinda work if you put diesel in it, since the CR(16.3:1) is so high? or even if you ran like a diesel/gas mixture

I mean the VAG 3.0TDI is only 17.0:1. It's almost the same lol

Probably will on some % mixture. Dunno how much you can go before the engine hates you.

16 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Probably will on some % mixture. Dunno how much you can go before the engine hates you.

I want to see this on YouTube. Who can afford to lose a brand new motor? 

Spoiler

I'm getting frustrated with this Chevy Traverse. Intermittent no start no crank. Comes in, acting up, start looking at it, fixes itself and won't be broken again so I let it go. Comes back about a week later same thing, no comms with a bunch of highspeed lan modules then it magically starts working again. Few days and a week go by, go to pull it in last night no start. Finally! It's the end of the day but fuck it I'm getting a look at the bus. Bus is fucked, CANH is up at 4 volts with random dips to almost 2 volts. CANL is at 1.5 volts with coinciding jumps to almost 3 volts. Log some data, go home, this morning push it in to look at cause high of 45F today and it's in the shadow side of the building. The car has the AUDACITY to start again now, normal data bus.

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I want to see this on YouTube. Who can afford to lose a brand new motor? 

Do it for the views, start a gofundme

16 hours ago, Bitter said:

I'm getting frustrated with this Chevy Traverse. Intermittent no start no crank. Comes in, acting up, start looking at it, fixes itself and won't be broken again so I let it go. Comes back about a week later same thing, no comms with a bunch of highspeed lan modules then it magically starts working again. Few days and a week go by, go to pull it in last night no start. Finally! It's the end of the day but fuck it I'm getting a look at the bus. Bus is fucked, CANH is up at 4 volts with random dips to almost 2 volts. CANL is at 1.5 volts with coinciding jumps to almost 3 volts. Log some data, go home, this morning push it in to look at cause high of 45F today and it's in the shadow side of the building. The car has the AUDACITY to start again now, normal data bus.

Welcome to IT

Spoiler

31 minutes ago, RGBoy said:

We’ve done it

Me and my grandpa are finally done with restoring his 61 Galaxie! What y’all think

You could mail a letter from the front bumper to the back bumper because it's about a block away!

On 4/24/2022 at 3:13 PM, volatus146 said:

i too have made poor life choices

like thinking a dead branded european car is good for the aussie outback (kinda is tbh)

-snip-

Loved my NG 9-3, was a prefacelift 05, but it was still a great lil car. Even if it was a bit small for me. Absolutely adore my OG 9-5 Wagon, would still kill for a NG 9-5 Aero but they are so few and far between

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

1 hour ago, RGBoy said:

We’ve done it

Me and my grandpa are finally done with restoring his 61 Galaxie! What y’all think

-snip-

so nice! Great job 🙂 

Spoiler

9 hours ago, RGBoy said:

We’ve done it

Oooooooooooooooooooh the matching wheels, excellent job

9 hours ago, RGBoy said:

We’ve done it

https://portawallshop.com/ Also, needs some of those. Not sure how actually durable they are but some white walls would really complete the look. Or at the very least some chrome trim rings on the wheels.