Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Wow. Hyundai really bringing true innovation to the sector of automotive technology. I mean why didn't anyone think of this before? /s20220307_094131.thumb.jpg.39119752999d86459c8eb604b32b574c.jpg

Sadly this isn't for detection of spark knock, it's for bearing knock!

Speaking of bearing noise...

20220307_091923.thumb.jpg.2e15d6608cc15fa5fdc273ec4b359ea4.jpg20220307_093439.thumb.jpg.5d07de73e441d86f09d71a9388933355.jpg

They drove it so long that the hub ate through the outer race into the spindle and let the wheel contact the caliper. Some Honda Odyssey carnage for @vetalialso both outer tie rod ends and right ball joint could be pushed apart by hand, rear body lift points rusted off, big oil leak, more than one broken engine mount, no cat, everything on the dash is lit up.

This is the second worst wheel bearing I've seen and in the top 5 for most unsafe vehicles I've seen.

1 hour ago, PandaCopyRight said:

Nice, turbo i5 noises.
would love to hear the thing running

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipML8AUiXtTYQFkJ8NfJcIEWUinGOuxV3tHYbbVtnfWZCkUd8P399AQ-JHAAZX3sTA?pli=1&key=M3JXdkNTT19lNllZZWZLZlY0c1I1ellzNjdLN09B

ask and you shall receive!  potato video but it gets the point across

Ryzen 9 5900x CPU

Asus Dual 3070 + EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3070 GPU(S)

Asus ROG Strix B550-F Motherboard

Corsair Dominator 16x2 3600mhz RAM

Corsair H100x AIO

Rosewill S500 Case

Thermaltake RIING 12 fans (4)

18 minutes ago, Beyond_The_Berm said:

that sounds insane, i love it 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

My 2004 Crown Majesta Ultimate Lux JDM VIP(Bippu) Build:

All forged carbon dash

Starlight Headliner

Rear Tray Tables from a Jaguar in Forged Carbon

3UZ-FE Motor

M1112 SVT Lightning Supercharger 5lb pully

1UZ-FE Pushrods

Custom ECU re-flash from Europe

Custom ABC Pillars wrapped in a Japanese Silk Komodo (Black and dark pink cherry blossoms)

Dyed super black headliner

All 14 Speakers changed to Morel Elate Carbon Pro's

1000W JBL 1ohm AMP

Eclipse 1500W Subwoofer (Going to a Skar soon)

Stock AirRide / Level Sensors with Override controller

Junction Produce Full Lip Kit

Muffler Delete with Flowmaster 4 Inch long Tear drop tips

Maya Custom STM 3 Piece Wheels Power coated to paint match
Soon a custom front camber kit for the LCA's built by some friends at SerialNine.

269904308_10158301968911479_4328073699969157701_n.jpg

274053998_10158384109221479_7183425123129212009_n.jpg

CPU: A good one | Motherboard: A blue medium in size | RAM: Enough for gaming | GPU: Two big ones | Case: Black with colors | Storage: More then enough | PSU: Could kill me if I licked it | Displays: Two of them | Cooling: A few fans | Keyboard: Yes | Mouse: Yes, on a wire | Sound: Sure | Operating System: You betcha!

I forgot the update USB in her car and I guess it updated when she went to an appointment today, so that's good. Didn't have it set to run the Gracenote portion so I'll do that tomorrow.

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

Some Honda Odyssey carnage

Wheel hasn't fallen off yet, not a real Odyssey owner.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

Well mates, I achieved the impossible, I got a 2005 F-150 with the 5.4 L 3 valve (oh sh!t) for a price that would make sense in the beforefore times. About $5K US for it, 160K miles, Passenger side exhaust manifold needs replaced (what 5.4 doesn't need that at some point?). There is a bit of rust in the wheel wells, because some idiot decided he didn't like how wheel well guards looked, and tore them out, leaving massive bolt holes that weren't treated to prevent rust or even painted.  It has decent aftermarket suspension (done tastefully, maybe 2-3 inch lift, doesn't look like one of those driveway princess Chevy Silverados on an 8 in lift, disgusting), decent off-road tires, a Xenon anchoring system, the timing is fine. 

List of things that don't work:

My hopes and dreams

alternator

MAYBE the timing sensor, or MAYBE a spark plug

Exhaust manifold

Moonroof seal

Speedometer is 5 MPH off because of the offroad tires being somewhat larger

antidepressants

Besides that, some ball joints in the suspension, some seals here and there on the drivetrain, and some preventative maintenance, I think I'm good to go, so long as I replace all of the problem parts that were rectified in a revision by Ford some years after my engine was made.

41 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Well mates, I achieved the impossible, I got a 2005 F-150 with the 5.4 L 3 valve (oh sh!t) for a price that would make sense in the beforefore times. About $5K US for it, 160K miles, Passenger side exhaust manifold needs replaced (what 5.4 doesn't need that at some point?). There is a bit of rust in the wheel wells, because some idiot decided he didn't like how wheel well guards looked, and tore them out, leaving massive bolt holes that weren't treated to prevent rust or even painted.  It has decent aftermarket suspension (done tastefully, maybe 2-3 inch lift, doesn't look like one of those driveway princess Chevy Silverados on an 8 in lift, disgusting), decent off-road tires, a Xenon anchoring system, the timing is fine. 

List of things that don't work:

My hopes and dreams

alternator

MAYBE the timing sensor, or MAYBE a spark plug

Exhaust manifold

Moonroof seal

Speedometer is 5 MPH off because of the offroad tires being somewhat larger

antidepressants

Besides that, some ball joints in the suspension, some seals here and there on the drivetrain, and some preventative maintenance, I think I'm good to go, so long as I replace all of the problem parts that were rectified in a revision by Ford some years after my engine was made.

Buy the spark plug extraction tool kit now, you'll need it. Squeak squeak crunch snap crackle pop, so much fun!

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Wheel hasn't fallen off yet, not a real Odyssey owner.

We're legitimately concerned about it falling off in the parking lot if the wind blows hard enough at the van. The only wheel bearing worse than this one was a Grand Prix that melted the aluminum knuckle and twisted it around the bearing along with melting the tire stem and tire bead off the wheel. The only thing that stopped that dumb ass kid was the flat tire. Dad came in with him and the car on a tow truck mad at us because we didn't fix it and he gave his kid the money for the repair....welllllll.....kid declined repair and just pocketed the dads money then proceeded to drive the car up into the city after we told him it wasn't safe to drive and got busted on it right in the shop when our old secretary said 'hold up, you said no to us fixing it and we told you not to drive it'. Dad took the kid outside and pretty sure whooped his ass right in the parking lot.

But overall, this Odyssey is right up there with the most unsafe I've seen. I'm not even joking that I could separate the tie rods by hand if I pushed on them hard enough.

12 hours ago, gleetk said:

All forged carbon dash

Now that's something I've never heard of before.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

Buy the spark plug extraction tool kit now, you'll need it. Squeak squeak crunch snap crackle pop, so much fun!

I saw that the best way to remove them was to turn the spark plugs back and forth 1/8th of a turn until it gets super easy to do, then carefully go all the way out after that. Making sure to apply liberal amounts of anti-seize, and applying dielectric grease to the spark plugs when putting them back in. Actually, that's how Ford says to do it.

21 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

I saw that the best way to remove them was to turn the spark plugs back and forth 1/8th of a turn until it gets super easy to do, then carefully go all the way out after that.

Not at those miles if they're original. They'll snap. I've tried all the tricks and only once or twice has one come out not in multiple parts. If you buy the tool now you'll already have it and just get the job done rather than waiting a few days with a broken truck.

+1 on the plug extractors. 
I had a 4.6 in my Mustang. What a total pain in the ass it was when they kept breaking. 

On 3/7/2022 at 7:26 PM, Bitter said:

I forgot the update USB in her car and I guess it updated when she went to an appointment today, so that's good. Didn't have it set to run the Gracenote portion so I'll do that tomorrow.

Sweet, sweet, success

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Sweet, sweet, success

Just need to figure out how to get Android Auto to not default to maps every time? She'd rather have it on the home screen by default. A problem for another night though.

14 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

I saw that the best way to remove them was to turn the spark plugs back and forth 1/8th of a turn until it gets super easy to do, then carefully go all the way out after that. Making sure to apply liberal amounts of anti-seize, and applying dielectric grease to the spark plugs when putting them back in. Actually, that's how Ford says to do it.

At 160k you probably already have the revised one piece plug in there. I wouldn't worry. I haven't broke any and I just get the motor hot and impact them out with my air 3/8. I don't put any antisieze on them going back on. Heat turns it into chalk, which then has the opposite effect that it should have.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

32 minutes ago, vetali said:

At 160k you probably already have the revised one piece plug in there. I wouldn't worry. I haven't broke any and I just get the motor hot and impact them out with my air 3/8. I don't put any antisieze on them going back on. Heat turns it into chalk, which then has the opposite effect that it should have.

My experience with the 5.4 3V and pickups in general is people don't fix them until they're broken. I've yet to see a one piece plug that I didn't install.

Also the 3V has those juicy timing and VVT problems and 160K is prime time to start seeing that crop up regardless of how well it was cared for.

10 hours ago, vetali said:

Yeah, This truck was well taken care of for the first 3/4ths of its life, but the second owner treated it like a piece of trash. I am gonna be safe and go slow and steady. By slow I mean 20 mins per plug slow. Thanks for the tip with the anti-seize though, that's something I would have to learn with experience. Where would I find the revised one piece plugs?

10 hours ago, Bitter said:

My experience with the 5.4 3V and pickups in general is people don't fix them until they're broken. I've yet to see a one piece plug that I didn't install.

Also the 3V has those juicy timing and VVT problems and 160K is prime time to start seeing that crop up regardless of how well it was cared for.

Planning on replacing the sensor, since the timing chain is fine. I'm also gonna do a 5k oil interval until I can get enough time and money to replace the oil pump with a high flow aftermarket one to prevent further damage. I'm also going to get a nice oil filter with flow back protection or whatever that is called to keep the oil in the engine.

10 hours ago, vetali said:

1162464331_ScreenShot2022-03-09at9_46_39AM.thumb.png.1a6c9007c53c2ab6013af88070978ff5.png

I keep getting conflicting reports. Anti-seize or no? Which brand of spark plugs? How do I remove them?

I have found literally the two opposites for all of these questions, and I don't know what to do.

3 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

How do I remove them?

Dugga dugga gun and send it

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

23 minutes ago, Bitter said:

It's ok, Ford didn't know what it's doing either.

Do any brands know these days?

Also, fun day for me

VAG TFSI thermostat housing/water pump unit being a leaky boi

Screenshot_20220309-191122_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220309-191128_Gallery.jpg

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

15 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Do any brands know these days?

Also, fun day for me

VAG TFSI thermostat housing/water pump unit being a leaky boi

Screenshot_20220309-191122_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220309-191128_Gallery.jpg

Try that on a longitudinal mounted engine lol. I've done both, RWD mounted engine is a little harder but doable. I don't pull the intake manifold, just have tiny arms and tools I guess.

How about that reverse thread bolt on the balance shaft tho!?

If I pulled the intake I'd see how carboned the intake valves are and I just don't even want to know on these cars. Just put the blinders on and get done what they came for with some of these cars ya kno?

11 minutes ago, Bitter said:

How about that reverse thread bolt on the balance shaft tho!?

For the belt? Popped the belt off with a screwdriver and then refitted the water pump seperate to the thermostat housing. Belt round the pulley first then it all bolts straight up. 

This is the first one I'd done hence pulling the intake just so I could see the unit. Wasnt a bad job tbf. I'd say a solid 7/10