Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

8 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Miata in disguise? 4000 rpm all day on the highway 

Nope, still my boring golf mk5....

7 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Maybe don't go 90mph?

I either go that fast or snail's pace at 55 MPH behind a semi.... :old-dry:

/EDIT

Just as FYI  again the tacho cheats 10 kmh, the actual speed according to the gps is 130 kmh, which is roughly 80 mph....

Edited by jagdtigger

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

I either go that fast or snail's pace at 55 MPH behind a semi.... :old-dry:

/EDIT

Just as FYI  again the tacho cheats 10 kmh, the actual speed according to the gps is 130 kmh, which is roughly 80 mph....

6 speed  retro fit is very easy on these and cheap too, just did it on my Caddy

Pete

40 minutes ago, 711jrp said:

6 speed  retro fit is very easy on these and cheap too, just did it on my Caddy

Except for the metric butt-ton of paperwork it needs, not to mention the fees involved. First you need a plan for the modification, then have the part approved, then get a permit so your mechanic can do the install(no, you cant do it). Even if i have part like a sport exhaust on my motorbike that has e-approval i would still need to get a permit for it even though it was already approved for the bike.....  Modifying your vehicle is insanely hard, if not borderline impossible.

4 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Except for the metric butt-ton of paperwork it needs, not to mention the fees involved. First you need a plan for the modification, then have the part approved, then get a permit so your mechanic can do the install(no, you cant do it). Even if i have part like a sport exhaust on my motorbike that has e-approval i would still need to get a permit for it even though it was already approved for the bike.....  Modifying your vehicle is insanely hard, if not borderline impossible.

How would they ever know though? Do the police run around jumping in peoples cars to see if it's got the incorrect transmission?

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

How would they ever know though? Do the police run around jumping in peoples cars to see if it's got the incorrect transmission?

even if they don't, my guess is it would be very hard to sell the car if it's modified

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I've decided to sign up for my first autocross event! There's only one little issue I found while looking over the car to make sure it's ready. A couple years ago my dad and I got kind of angry at a stuck brake rotor and used a hammer to get it off the hub, and it left a couple tiny dents in the rotor. I've never had any problems with braking afterwards and I haven't noticed any difference in brake feel. Would these small dents be enough to prevent me from passing tech inspection? I was thinking about getting an extra rotor just in case.

IMG_20200320_180637304_HDR.thumb.jpg.265977de110f62030b9f06565b004e18.jpg

Computer engineering grad student, machine learning researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Depends how picky your tech guy is but I'm gonna guess probably not a problem.

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

How would they ever know though?

Mandatory checkup every 2 year... (brakes, emissions, etc)

11 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Seems like this 5 gear transmission was not made for the freeway:
golf_rpm.jpg

IDK about the engine though, that rpm seems a bit too high...... (speed shows 10 kmh more than actual btw)

i know the feeling. My TDI is not geared the way I would like it to be, 1st is useless and 75mph is like 2700 rpm+, in an engine that redlines at 5000 (I am adamant it is actually 4250 but that is an argument for another day)

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

13 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

No way, that's a proper bummer, I see the EPA is trying to do something similar in the US.

Pete

26 minutes ago, 711jrp said:

No way, that's a proper bummer

Its even worse, it is a efing disgrace. When someone wanna do things by the book its one hurdle after the other. But OFC here comes corruption to the rescue and you got junkyard fugitives and illegally modified cars on  the road.... (empty exhaust, engine modifications to get more power without improving brakes and suspension, etc)

I rarely use it on a freeway but im a bit worried that running the engine at that rpm will cause excessive wear....

15 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

empty exhaust, engine modifications to get more power without improving brakes and suspension, etc.

You have that everywhere. We have yearly inspections and you still see plenty of morons remapping their diesel shitboxes to hell and back making them spew smoke like it's a freaking coal powered locomotive (not far from the truth actually) and nothing done to their brakes/suspension (other than lowering springs IF NOT cut springs)/tires.

And somehow they're still in the road, don't ask me how.

It's not the country's fault but rather the people that do that.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

2 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

You have that everywhere. We have yearly inspections and you still see plenty of morons remapping their diesel shitboxes to hell and back making them spew smoke like it's a freaking coal powered locomotive (not far from the truth actually) and nothing done to their brakes/suspension (other than lowering springs IF NOT cut springs)/tires.

And somehow they're still in the road, don't ask me how.

It's not the country's fault but rather the people that do that.

They act like everyone does it though, People who modify their cars is still a minority overall 

and it’s becoming a smaller group even, kids just don’t care about cars anymore for the most part 

but we’re gonna spend tons of time and money on legislation to stop it lol 

I do agree that mods that make a car unsafe should prob be more regulated but just because I don’t like people remapping their diesels to smoke like locamotives doesn’t mean I want car modifying banned. At the end of the day it’s not really many who do that.. most people just want more power really and even that is a small group too. Ppl don’t want to burn their warranties and such 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

8 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Mandatory checkup every 2 year... (brakes, emissions, etc)

But how would they tell it's got one more gear and know that it shouldn't have? Do they run it on a dyno and check gear ratios?

Anyway, I'm sure there's another OD gear from a similar trans that swaps in. I know for the S gearboxes on Toyota it's as simple as popping the side cover and swapping some parts to get a S54 OD gear from a Camry or Celica gear set back and forth to lower the cruising RPM drastically between them. It's a really common swap for the MR2 crowd with the 5S engine. I can't fathom that something similar isn't possible with the Lego cars that VW also builds. It would still be the same trans, same shifter, same everything except for 2 gears inside the trans and some fresh sealer on the case.

18 minutes ago, Benji said:

By sitting in the car and figuring out that the gear configuration doesn't fit the original gear box and shifting stick.

Are they really looking for that?

1 hour ago, Benji said:

Not specifically, no (at least to my knowledge). But let's just put it that way... If you know what car it is and all of a sudden it has a different stick, would you not notice that?

If it's a 10yr old car and I'm seeing 100 cars a day, probably not. Keep a stock shifter on it. Different trans doesn't mean different shifter, especially if the pattern wasn't on the ball.

On 7/5/2021 at 3:39 PM, bcredeur97 said:

I do agree that mods that make a car unsafe should prob be more regulated but just because I don’t like people remapping their diesels to smoke like locamotives doesn’t mean I want car modifying banned. At the end of the day it’s not really many who do that.. most people just want more power really and even that is a small group too. Ppl don’t want to burn their warranties and such 

Tell me you're not from Portugal without telling me you're not from Portugal.

awww yea my seats came in after months of back order

20210705_125320.thumb.jpg.1f55361ca2ce6b1191124e646295f55a.jpg

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

5 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Shoulda gotten brown seats.

yeaaa... no. 

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

10 minutes ago, That_Random_Guy said:

yeaaa... no. 

Yeah, yeah. They won't show the shit stains as much.

2 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Tell me you're not Portugal without telling me you're not from Portugal.

Lol as a southern American I don’t get this 

Spoiler

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Lol as a southern American I don’t get this 

Basically in Portugal the fuel type of choice is diesel. And here in Europe we make a lot of those. Diesel has always been the cheaper alternative and cars consume less, so it's a no brainer. Just so happens that you can remap them and get quite some power without sacrificing too much on the mileage. And people when focused on getting power also happen to delete the DPF and cats and the lot. Also happens that they don't tune the cars well because for them, making smoke is the shit. So, there's a lot of people here that buy old VAG hatchbacks/sedans/wagons with the TDI engines and remap them like crazy. Every single "tuner" (lets call em them to not be offensive) here has diesel car, not just VAGs, and usually also remap them like that, with popcorn limiters and make plenty of one wheel peels.

So it is very common in Portugal to see a diesel car "tuned" and rolling coal. This is every "tuners" idol here because of, if you've read what I wrote, makes a lot sense, unfortunately for the whole scene. The tuner's Portuguese.

So yeah, we have plenty of people with cars like that with not a lot of supporting mods for the kind of torque and power, unless they involve power lmao, they're making on their clapped out hatchbacks.