Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

6 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I just used the continental elite belts on my civic. Hoping I wouldn’t have this issue lol 

didn’t work out... I really wrenched on that alt belt too, it was too tight when I started but now it’s looser 😕 

but yeah I’ve been using continental belts since a couple years ago they seemed nice 

General rule of thumb is the longest span should just be able to be twisted 90 deg when it's properly tightened. Usually only takes about 15 minutes to get the belt broken in and then retighten it, can just let it run while you eat a sandwich then retighten it.

27 minutes ago, Bitter said:

General rule of thumb is the longest span should just be able to be twisted 90 deg when it's properly tightened. Usually only takes about 15 minutes to get the belt broken in and then retighten it, can just let it run while you eat a sandwich then retighten it.

the  15 min thing is good to know! ill do that from now on

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I learned the twist thing from the oldest dude in my technical school, has not failed me on non crappy belts. Just be sure to twist the longest run of the belt if it drives more than one thing.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

2 hours ago, vetali said:

I learned the twist thing from the oldest dude in my technical school, has not failed me on non crappy belts. Just be sure to twist the longest run of the belt if it drives more than one thing.

Had an 08 MDX in with...wait for it...326,670 on the odo. I had to look around the dash to make sure it wasn't like the 08 Civics with the Mi/KM button. Nope, that's allllll 'Murica miles. Surprisingly in decent shape, no rust out under it because the self oiling system is keeping the rust away. The amount of oil under it was comical. Looked like it was just pouring from the oil filter housing gasket or somewhere around it and the trans was soaked too.

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Had an 08 MDX in with...wait for it...326,670 on the odo. I had to look around the dash to make sure it wasn't like the 08 Civics with the Mi/KM button. Nope, that's allllll 'Murica miles. Surprisingly in decent shape, no rust out under it because the self oiling system is keeping the rust away. The amount of oil under it was comical. Looked like it was just pouring from the oil filter housing gasket or somewhere around it and the trans was soaked too.

Yeah that oil filter housing gasket likes to leak a lot. Valve cover gaskets dry up at higher mileage and leak, also cam end plugs will dump oil down the side of the heads and look like head gasket oil leaks.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

Just now, vetali said:

Yeah that oil filter housing gasket likes to leak a lot. Valve cover gaskets dry up at higher mileage and leak, also cam end plugs will dump oil down the side of the heads and look like head gasket oil leaks.

Could have been cam ends leaking down between the engine and trans, my priority was the oil filter housing area leak. Wasn't even in for that, power windows all stopped working. Had a recent Dorman master window switch. In the process of door panel removal I had to unplug the door panel to door connector and when I reconnected to start testing it just all worked now so I just packed all the door connectors with di-electric grease, made sure no wires in the body to door passthrough were boned, and put it back together with some explanation about a stuck module or fretting corrosion on computer data lines. *shrug*

4 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Could have been cam ends leaking down between the engine and trans, my priority was the oil filter housing area leak. Wasn't even in for that, power windows all stopped working. Had a recent Dorman master window switch. In the process of door panel removal I had to unplug the door panel to door connector and when I reconnected to start testing it just all worked now so I just packed all the door connectors with di-electric grease, made sure no wires in the body to door passthrough were boned, and put it back together with some explanation about a stuck module or fretting corrosion on computer data lines. *shrug*

Those era hondas are hard to diag electrical issues because theres hardly any documentation. I think I ranted about that before on the odyssey I got slid on with water leaks. The diagrams suck, pinpoint diagnostics are useless. Probably a bum master switch. You can do a b-can communication check with the scan tool to see if its talking since everything should run off the MICU in those.

40 minutes ago, vetali said:

Those era hondas are hard to diag electrical issues because theres hardly any documentation. I think I ranted about that before on the odyssey I got slid on with water leaks. The diagrams suck, pinpoint diagnostics are useless. Probably a bum master switch. You can do a b-can communication check with the scan tool to see if its talking since everything should run off the MICU in those.

Probably pointless when it's all suddenly working. Could hear the relays in the door clicking for auto up and down, just nothing doing anything.

12 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Probably pointless when it's all suddenly working. Could hear the relays in the door clicking for auto up and down, just nothing doing anything.

Yeah I still say faulty master switch caused it, esp if it comes back again.

Reminds me of the new accords that would come in with all the sensing warning indicators with everything losing com with the gauge control module. If I remember right everything talks to the MICU (now properly called a BCM in the new accords iirc) and then it talks to the GCM. Some weird glitch would happen in the BCM and trigger that fault. People were just unplugging the BCM and plugging it back in and shipping it and assuming that fixed it. We were replacing the BCMs because its a safety concern and got engineerings attention. Now there is a recall for BCM software update lol.

Kinda like that slough of doing like ~20 fuel injector sets last month. Now Honda sends us a walnut shell blaster to clean intake valves "for an upcoming service bulletin pertaining to misfire and rich codes" geeee

7 hours ago, vetali said:

Reminds me of the new accords that would come in with all the sensing warning indicators with everything losing com with the gauge control module. If I remember right everything talks to the MICU (now properly called a BCM in the new accords iirc) and then it talks to the GCM. Some weird glitch would happen in the BCM and trigger that fault. People were just unplugging the BCM and plugging it back in and shipping it and assuming that fixed it. We were replacing the BCMs because its a safety concern and got engineerings attention. Now there is a recall for BCM software update lol.

Kinda like that slough of doing like ~20 fuel injector sets last month. Now Honda sends us a walnut shell blaster to clean intake valves "for an upcoming service bulletin pertaining to misfire and rich codes" geeee

But but direct injection is awesome tho you get like 2% more gas mileage /s 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

26 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

AND you too can ROLL COAL when you pass or merge onto the highway!!!

8 hours ago, vetali said:

There is, or was, a really awesome GM chemical for cleaning carboned intakes and chambers. ACDelco X66P was awesome stuff, you just 'set it and forget it'. Soak the engine through the intake while it's running, let it sit, then run the snot out of it 30 min later and watch it just BLOW CLOUDS of carbon out the exhaust and like magic run great again!

Reminds me I should probably do that on the GF's 16 Escape with like 70K on the clock.

56 minutes ago, Bitter said:

There is, or was, a really awesome GM chemical for cleaning carboned intakes and chambers. ACDelco X66P was awesome stuff, you just 'set it and forget it'. Soak the engine through the intake while it's running, let it sit, then run the snot out of it 30 min later and watch it just BLOW CLOUDS of carbon out the exhaust and like magic run great again!

Reminds me I should probably do that on the GF's 16 Escape with like 70K on the clock.

“Not for retail sale” lol 

i looked that stuff up it sounds pretty awesome guessing it was pretty potent chemicals or something tho 

Spoiler

51 minutes ago, Bitter said:

We use the snake oil stuff. Not sure how good it is on DI cars. I am not a fan of doing it on turbo cars either.

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

and more power. I personally don't like the sound of DI. Even with all the foam insulation it still sounds like a typewriter at idle.

On 4/29/2021 at 7:24 AM, bcredeur97 said:

Mini-Accord 

Pretty much the same size as my grandfather's '96 Accord and E39 (~2" shorter and the same width), though it's probably not as roomy for NVH and safety reasons. 

Main PC: Ryzen 1600 @4GHz, 16GB 2933 MHz DDR4, 1060 6GB blower card.

Laptop: ThinkPad T580 (i5, iGPU, FHD, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD+1TB HDD). Used with both the regular and extended-run batteries (RIP power bridge).

yeh I wished you could get the bar that spans the grille saying "CHEVROLET" painted on the WTs, I know that's what the Custom is for but in 2021 models they removed engine choices for the Custom trim and also added packages to both models that make it like an LT but without the bright work which I like.

cuki1o.png

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

If GM themselves doesn't release a dealer add-on backlight kit for that front lettering they'll be as dumb as they look. That would look pretty sick backlit at night.

14 minutes ago, Bitter said:

If GM themselves doesn't release a dealer add-on backlight kit for that front lettering they'll be as dumb as they look. That would look pretty sick backlit at night.

someone actually put LEDs in there lol
Personally I dunno how I'd feel about it, it looks kinda cool but eh

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

25 minutes ago, Bitter said:

When I was at GM we were doing backlights for the 'flowtie' on the camaros. Actually looked pretty cool.

1 hour ago, vetali said:

When I was at GM we were doing backlights for the 'flowtie' on the camaros. Actually looked pretty cool.

https://www.amazon.com/BMW-82-14-0-428-376-CLEANER/dp/B00TMV4A2W/

Looks like BMW uses the same cleaner that GM does. I wonder who actually makes it? It's good stuff, really. I did a piston soak on my Mazda as maintenance and looked at the piston tops before and after. Before, kinda cruddy but not terrible, this engine has had carbon issues before. After though I could read the markings on the piston tops through the thinnest and softest layer of carbon, just a fine film. Fluid went in green to a slightly warm engine, sat about 24hr, sucked it out as pitch black gritty fluid. If you suck most of it out then crank the engine to blow the rest out it doesn't smoke crazy but it's still got some NOXIOUS fumes. Engine idled a little more steadily after and for sure smoother on tip in and acceleration. Didn't think to check before/after compression but it sounded more even when cranking and started more readily from deep cold.

Been seeing lots of videos of guys hooking cans of carb spray to their injectors and running the engine off the carb spray for a DIY injector/top end cleaning, thoughts? 185K on the Mazda and I've only put pour in cleaners in the tank. Can't hurt, right?

40 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Looks like BMW uses the same cleaner that GM does. I wonder who actually makes it? It's good stuff, really. I did a piston soak on my Mazda as maintenance and looked at the piston tops before and after. Before, kinda cruddy but not terrible, this engine has had carbon issues before. After though I could read the markings on the piston tops through the thinnest and softest layer of carbon, just a fine film. Fluid went in green to a slightly warm engine, sat about 24hr, sucked it out as pitch black gritty fluid. If you suck most of it out then crank the engine to blow the rest out it doesn't smoke crazy but it's still got some NOXIOUS fumes. Engine idled a little more steadily after and for sure smoother on tip in and acceleration. Didn't think to check before/after compression but it sounded more even when cranking and started more readily from deep cold.

Been seeing lots of videos of guys hooking cans of carb spray to their injectors and running the engine off the carb spray for a DIY injector/top end cleaning, thoughts? 185K on the Mazda and I've only put pour in cleaners in the tank. Can't hurt, right?

@vetalithe reviews for this and the ACdelco stuff seems pretty glowing I think it’s legit, you should try it 

def could help people like me who don’t have a walnut blaster 

... although apparently harbor fraud has one for like $35 now lol

Spoiler

50 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

@vetalithe reviews for this and the ACdelco stuff seems pretty glowing I think it’s legit, you should try it 

I googled but blaster, was not disappointed.

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

Meh, unless you got an issue from sitting the injectors on port systems shouldn't get too gunked up.

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Try it on what, customer cars? Not gonna happen. Honda makes their own top end cleaner anyway.

Celica does sit parked for months at a time in winter, may do it to that one just cause why not. I need to get some of the GDI cleaner in a spray can and do the GF's 70K mile Escape but trying to get her to help with anything car related is like anything car related and the LTT crew.