Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Premium makes more power for to Mazda 3? Common sense typically says no unless a tune had been done. I do thrash mine regularly because mountains and curves.

It has a 10:1 compression ratio iirc. Its border line, but I feel its high enough for at least mid grade. I need to hook up my scan tool and monitor some things, but it feels like its advancing a bit more than on regular. Has a bit more pull. No signs of the typical hesitation with using improper gas. It feels a lot more responsive. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

4 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Grandad is thinking about buying this. 1969 DeVille hard top two door. It had the added option of the padded vinyl roof thats split all to hell. Been in storage for 17 years. 

/should/ be the 7.7 L v8 and turbo 400 tranny. Drift car? Hope so. 

jeez more like drift boat. with a 7.7 motor. i wonder how much power you can make when you stick a blower on it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

29 minutes ago, vetali said:

It has a 10:1 compression ratio iirc. Its border line, but I feel its high enough for at least mid grade. I need to hook up my scan tool and monitor some things, but it feels like its advancing a bit more than on regular. Has a bit more pull. No signs of the typical hesitation with using improper gas. It feels a lot more responsive. 

in pretty much every car that calls for regular fuel that i've ever driven, it's always seemed to be a bit better with higher octane fuels. 

some more than others. most not enough for it to be worth it especially when it runs just fine for daily use on regular

they always say it makes no difference but in my experience it does (especially on responsiveness which you seem to notice too). I just normally keep quiet about it because ill get shut down by all the people who scream "NO" lol

but like I said I'm not used to it being much, and most people would definitely not notice.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

in pretty much every car that calls for regular fuel that i've ever driven, it's always seemed to be a bit better with higher octane fuels. 

some more than others. most not enough for it to be worth it especially when it runs just fine for daily use on regular

they always say it makes no difference but in my experience it does (especially on responsiveness which you seem to notice too). I just normally keep quiet about it because ill get shut down by all the people who scream "NO" lol

but like I said I'm not used to it being much, and most people would definitely not notice.

I wouldn't of tried it if the compression ratio was in the 9s and a non VVT engine. You'd lose power + gas mileage. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

You guys see the challenger who thought he was a mustang?

/s

but really, that was fucked up

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

4 minutes ago, vetali said:

I wouldn't of tried it if the compression ratio was in the 9s and a non VVT engine. You'd lose power + gas mileage. 

Tbh, the car feels a bit more snappy in cold weather, particularly in the higher rpm while on a warmer day, it feels more dead up above 6k. Cold air probably is less susceptible to knock. I would wager that on a dyno (not sure of anyone obsessive enough to dyno these things, aside from maybe myself) the difference would probably fall within margin of error.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

TIL Walmart sells 2 ton Jackstands for $8 a piece 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Tbh, the car feels a bit more snappy in cold weather, particularly in the higher rpm while on a warmer day, it feels more dead up above 6k. Cold air probably is less susceptible to knock. I would wager that on a dyno (not sure of anyone obsessive enough to dyno these things, aside from maybe myself) the difference would probably fall within margin of error.

Oh yeah, the temperature is a big factor. In warmer weather my throttle response is terrible and inconsistent. 

Higher octane = harder to burn. Higher octane allows the VVT to advance the timing more without knocking. 

1 minute ago, vetali said:

Oh yeah, the temperature is a big factor. In warmer weather my throttle response is terrible and inconsistent. 

Higher octane = harder to burn. Higher octane allows the VVT to advance the timing more without knocking. 

Try getting those rpms up there in the cold. Even up a hill from a stop (damn the moron engineer for putting a stop sigh at the bottom of a hill BTW), the engine doesn't quite feel like its done at a mere 6500 rpm. I do feel like this engine could benefit from more rpm.

My eyes see the past…

Try getting those rpms up there in the cold. Even up a hill from a stop (damn the moron engineer for putting a stop sigh at the bottom of a hill BTW), the engine doesn't quite feel like its done at a mere 6500 rpm. I do feel like this engine could benefit from more rpm.

Maybe if you are going for 0-60 times. With its gearing, torque is more beneficial. 

9 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

TIL Walmart sells 2 ton Jackstands for $8 a piece 

trust your life with them?

lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

9 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

-snip-

I don't know the whole story yet. I've been doing fuck all today so I haven't been paying attention to the news. Just something about protests and nobody willing to hear other peoples opinions, and somehow nazis are a thing apparently? Oh well. I'm going to wait to form an opinion until Philly D talks about it on Monday. He's pretty good about being objective.

i just know bitcoin is $4100

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, vetali said:

Maybe if you are going for 0-60 times. With its gearing, torque is more beneficial. 

Getting 2nd gear to the rev limit gets you to 62 mph pretty quickly, though damn that gearing jump(read: chasm) between 1st and second. Were this a 6 speed, an extra gear between 1st and 2nd would be a major blessing. I feel the 0-60 times were a focus with the gearing choices, especially as 2nd tops out at about 62 for those metric heads. I'm used to it by now, but revving to 4K in 1st going up a hill just to not annoy traffic behind me on the 1st to 2nd shift is a bit excessive.

My eyes see the past…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Getting 2nd gear to the rev limit gets you to 62 mph pretty quickly, though damn that gearing jump(read: chasm) between 1st and second. Were this a 6 speed, an extra gear between 1st and 2nd would be a major blessing. I feel the 0-60 times were a focus with the gearing choices, especially as 2nd tops out at about 62 for those metric heads. I'm used to it by now, but revving to 4K in 1st going up a hill just to not annoy traffic behind me on the 1st to 2nd shift is a bit excessive.

Thats why I don't like the car. 

Also, does yours "pull down" your RPMs once you hit rev limiter rather than just cutting off fuel like most other cars do? Its a weird feeling. 

Thats why I don't like the car. 

Also, does yours "pull down" your RPMs once you hit rev limiter rather than just cutting off fuel like most other cars do? Its a weird feeling. 

I don't commonly aim toward the rev limiter, though that is what it felt like. Considering the effect of engine breaking (electronic throttle probably closes at the limiter), this comes as no surprise. I would assume anything with an electronic throttle will probably behave this way.

Even my rushed pulled tend to see me shift at 6k, mostly out of mechanical sympathy, though when absolutely necessary (merging into fast traffic with semi trucks), I shift to 3rd at 7k (or just right below) without hitting the limiter. 

I wonder if a lighter flywheel would help with 1st to 2nd shift. Running the AC, the gearing gap is significantly easier to shift into.

My eyes see the past…

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

One or two. Depending on what sort of shape its in if he buys it will really determine what gets done with it. I did some gargling and found this guy that makes heads and and intake mani for them that can get you 700 without forced induction.

Still though 375 hp 525 torque as is. New anyway.

holy SHIT i didn't think such a big engine would need few mods to achieve such power, and i thought it would be too lazy for its own good tbh,being a large engine and such.

40 minutes ago, vetali said:

so probably a bad idea to put premium in my protege to see if it can be more responsive?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I don't commonly aim toward the rev limiter, though that is what it felt like. Considering the effect of engine breaking (electronic throttle probably closes at the limiter), this comes as no surprise. I would assume anything with an electronic throttle will probably behave this way.

Even my rushed pulled tend to see me shift at 6k, mostly out of mechanical sympathy, though when absolutely necessary (merging into fast traffic with semi trucks), I shift to 3rd at 7k (or just right below) without hitting the limiter. 

Yeah its what feels like what is happening. 

I usually shift to second at like 5-6k, then short shift 3rd and 4th, then shift to 5th when I'm at speed. 

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Well you need pistons and a nice cam too. But think about it, you have a lot of cubes from the displacement, you have a four barrel carb from fuel, you have loads of air from the intake manifold and heads, and a cam that lets you spin it a bit faster because you can get the mouth and butt working together.

Why would you need forced induction to get big power out of a *shudders* 7.7 liter V8?

because it's more fun that way? i like boost so boost = fun. but big power without boost is fun too.

8 minutes ago, terrytek said:

so probably a bad idea to put premium in my protege to see if it can be more responsive?

It wont kill it, but gas mileage and throttle response will most likely suffer. You can try it, just beware of placebo effect. 

4 minutes ago, vetali said:

Yeah its what feels like what is happening. 

I usually shift to second at like 5-6k, then short shift 3rd and 4th, then shift to 5th when I'm at speed. 

Yeah, I think I'm going for a lighter flywheel (and maybe a short throw) when it comes time for a new clutch, specifically to improve that 1st to 2nd shift.

When driving in Cheapskate mode, I shift in the low 2ks when cruising. The winding uphills spell trouble if a slowpoke forces me to 2nd, though otherwise, this car handles itself well enough around sharp bends that I can hold 3rd nearly all the way up. Can be a challenge in the rain though, an LSD might be helpful. Need some precision to avoid spinning the tire more than necessary. :P

My eyes see the past…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Yeah, I think I'm going for a lighter flywheel (and maybe a short throw) when it comes time for a new clutch, specifically to improve that 1st to 2nd shift.

When driving in Cheapskate mode, I shift in the low 2ks when cruising. The winding uphills spell trouble if a slowpoke forces me to 2nd, though otherwise, this car handles itself well enough around sharp bends that I can hold 3rd nearly all the way up. Can be a challenge in the rain though, an LSD might be helpful. Need some precision to avoid spinning the tire more than necessary. :P

The flywheel is pretty damn heavy. I didn't care enough when I did the clutch. I only was going to change it if it had a dual mass. I'm probably dumping the car early next year anyway. 

The flywheel is pretty damn heavy. I didn't care enough when I did the clutch. I only was going to change it if it had a dual mass. I'm probably dumping the car early next year anyway. 

I like flywheel I have in my Miata now. Heaviest of the lighter options. Def revs up and down a lot quicker, but has enough momentum still so shifting isn't too hard. It's also not hard to get moving from a stop. 

Personally I don't see a point to going any lighter than what I have now. Seems like diminishing returns to me. And makes it much harder to drive.

And stock clutch definitely keeps things easy too. I love it.

Spoiler

Just now, vetali said:

I didn't think anyone but Volkswagen used dual mass flywheels. 

I do really enjoy the handling characteristics though. It's probably not even close to Miata levels of cornering, though I do not feel excessively limited in driving through the mountains and can take a lot of turns and curves with barely (if any) use of the brakes, even going above 50 mph. If I want to drive calmly, the car does so smoothly, and if I want to break out the fangs, the car happily obliges.

My eyes see the past…

@vetali remember that squeak? I ended up fixing it... 

Turned out to just be the slave where it insert into the clutch fork. I guess from us washing the engine bay out a little surface rust appeared at the tip of the slave cylinder rod and because it wasn't smooth anymore it was making a squeak from the tiny motions that the clutch fork makes when the engine is running. 

Easy fix was grabbing some lube and coating the tip of the slave rod with it. Since then, 0 squeak. 

I love easy fixes lol

Spoiler

@Zodiark1593 I know for sure Ford used a dual mass in the ecoboost mustang. Not sure about the GT

Spoiler