Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

For all 180hp of my 4.3 v6! :P (hopefully an iron block 5.7 eventually)

so don't take this the wrong way... but why do you wanna put so much money into an S10?  why not save up and get a better truck thats worth putting money into...  

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

DucVTOd.jpg

I'm really torn... I can't decide if it looks awesome or a bit over the top...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

what color do you think would look best on this car (and if anyone is good with Photoshop could you post a pic of the color change)

I'd say that color but with a little bit of metal flake in the paint. Too bad I suck at photo editing though. :P

what color do you think would look best on this car (and if anyone is good with Photoshop could you post a pic of the color change)

~snip~

British Racing Green.  :ph34r:

I'm really torn... I can't decide if it looks awesome or a bit over the top...

Probably looks better once you have ridden it some, gotten it dirty. :D

its a kit car... it may look decent in pics, but in person its always gonna be blatantly obvious that its a cheap (even though its not really all that cheap) kit car no matter what color you paint it...

that being said I'd go for a dark gunmetal, kinda like this
tsxgarage.jpg

gtm_2.jpg

its a kit car... it may look decent in pics, but in person its always gonna be blatantly obvious that its a cheap (even though its not really all that cheap) kit car no matter what color you paint it...

it depends on how much time and effort you put into details and finishing touches

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

Because its relitivly made out of metal, and there's low miles and no rust :P

EDIT: and its payed for.

most trucks are made out of metal, lots have low miles and no rust.  the payed for part is a decent reason to have a car or truck, but not to dump a bunch of money into it... instead of doing all the stuff you're talking about doing to it.  save that money, when you have it saved up, sell the S10 and buy a better truck...  my 2 cents anyway...  I guess if you like it who am I to tell you otherwise...  just remember, a polished turd is still a turd

it depends on how much time and effort you put into details and finishing touches

isn't just the kit like 20k?  then you still need a donor car for the drivetrains and any other bits and pieces...

I'm also willing to wager that you like the vehicle too, huh?

most trucks are made out of metal, lots have low miles and no rust.  the payed for part is a decent reason to have a car or truck, but not to dump a bunch of money into it... instead of doing all the stuff you're talking about doing to it.  save that money, when you have it saved up, sell the S10 and buy a better truck...  my 2 cents anyway...  I guess if you like it who am I to tell you otherwise...  just remember, a polished turd is still a turd

i second this guy. you could get a nice 2005-2007 tacoma and fit some niiiice offroad parts on it and some interior mods too, since it's got a huge aftermarket base.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

isn't just the kit like 20k? then you still need a donor car for the drivetrains and any other bits and pieces...

a guy i know built a delorean replica/kit car on a corvette frame. (The body is fiblerglass thats painted, he poured time into fit and finish and the car looks 110% like a delorean) but as you said, cost is a huge issue. The delorean replica cost him 37k (USD) and he allready had the corvette.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

i second this guy. you could get a nice 2005-2007 tacoma and fit some niiiice offroad parts on it and some interior mods too, since it's got a huge aftermarket base.

or plenty of full size American trucks of you wanna stay American

Banana for scale?

Pretty sure putting a banana for scale right next to a mountain would be pointless...

I think a lot of you miss the point of why some people like what they have but you know.. opinions.

no, I just think if you really like an S10 (or Ford Ranger for that matter) you're wrong...  it has its place as a cheap work truck or something like that... or if you want to build a drag truck its a decent platform... but for anything that will be primary a street driven vehicle, its really not that great.  and if you want something to modify there are much better platforms to start with...

sorry @vinyldash303 for hating on your truck, but I honestly think I'm doing you a favor if I convince you to put the money you'd dump into the S10 into a better platform.  less money down the drain and I think you'd enjoy a better truck more.  now if it has sentimental value, I get it.  I don't really agree with assigning a sentimental value to a car or truck, but I understand it...

No you're 100% correct, I'm not saying you're not, I got it for free and its in great shape. I like how it handles, how it drives, and won't be spending money on it any time soon. just ideas. Might do a v8 swap, but those are expensive and take months to get running right. In the meantime, this year, I'll do bolt ons, and a tune, with the exception of an intake, and will be picking up another rig in the next 5 years thats a bit bigger. 12 valve cummins, 7.3 powerchoke maybe, maybe a suburban are all what I'm looking at, from the 90s to 2004ish.

thats all the more reason to just drive it as is an only do maintenance on it...

and yes putting money into vehicles is pretty much always a loss, I just think you're getting more for your money when you're not dumping it into an entry level vehicle... which the S10 is, and yours is 2wd, so that makes it entry level trim of the entry level model

no, I just think if you really like an S10 (or Ford Ranger for that matter) you're wrong...  it has its place as a cheap work truck or something like that... or if you want to build a drag truck its a decent platform... but for anything that will be primary a street driven vehicle, its really not that great.  and if you want something to modify there are much better platforms to start with...

I'm sorry but that's a completely pointless point. Any platform you start with is a good platform unless it'll inherently snap in half at the slightest breeze. If someone likes their vehicle then what's wrong with that? You're going to dump money in to something anyways so why not do it with something that you like?

I'm sorry but that's a completely pointless point. Any platform you start with is a good platform unless it'll inherently snap in half at the slightest breeze. If someone likes their vehicle then what's wrong with that? You're going to dump money in to something anyways so why not do it with something that you like?

cause there are plenty of trucks out there that I think he'd like more

Oh and @warmmilk s10s get sideways real good as @RevoltTrain knows.

meh, so does my neighbor's toyota previa...  its mid engine'd too

Actually its the nicest model they made, the only thing it doesn't have is 4 wheel drive. Power everything and A/C, which makes it the nicest of the entry level vehicles, its the LS, rather than base, so its technically the "loaded" street queen.

haha, my bad...

Gotcha ;)

so now I'm curious, have you driven in any other trucks?  full size American trucks (at least mid level trim wise) or Toyota's?

i disagree i have both ridden in and looked at many of factory five cars and if they are done by a good builder they almost never look cheap 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Yup. Worked on a bailing crew last summer and will hopefully again this coming summer, drove the loaded '08 F350 crew cab 6.4 PowerChoke thats tuned, with and exhaust, flatbed with fuel cell, and side toolboxes and still out pulled the extra cab LT silverado in a few drag races with 6 dudes and all their crap. Both are govered at 100 and kept up with each other (wasnt driving at the time, the crew chief was), drove the LT silverado that I mentioned as well, drove the base fleet spec silverado with an 8.1 big block in it, drove my buddies Avalanche thats got a 5.3 in it, drove my other crew chief's pre-tacoma, and his 97 Ram 1500 with the v8 magnum, my Grandad's 08' LTZ Tahoe with the 5.3, his ladyfriends 2013 LT Tahoe, Grandpa's 2008 Ram 1500 with some upgrades, I could go on.

EDIT: My dad's 1998 F150, stock with the 5.4

my buddies blazer with the 3.4 60* v6 (oh god that things a dog)

so wouldn't you rather have one of those?

i disagree i have both ridden in and looked at many of factory five cars and if they are done by a good builder they almost never look cheap 

*for a kit car

if compared to any real car of the similar cost, they're crap.  and the interior is a no contest...  even the cheapest car you can buy in the last 20 years has a higher quality looking interior... 

Eh. Some of the Silverados were nice. The Avalanche wasn't very good. The Tahoes seemed to all have a bit of hesitation when you get on it, almost as if asking "are you sure, are you sure? OK let's go!" the powerstroke was a pile of crap that they needed to work over so it wouldn't blow up, the pre-tacoma was lacking for power, and the f150 feelsabout the same as my s10 just with spongy brakes. That leaves the Silverados which are generally more expensive than others because the interiors are generally better. Which leads into the list of three vehicles that I was considering buying in the next 5 years, the 12 valve Cummins, the suburban, and the 7.3 powerstroke. If I'm buying another Chevy, it'll be a Suburban, if I get another truck it's gonna be a Cummins or a powerstroke.

so all you care about are the mechanicals? interior quality doesn't matter as long as it has power windows and AC?

I guess if thats the case, sounds like a V8 swapped S10 is for you...