Should I stay or should i go? Bad consumer experience mediamarkt EU

Dear community,

Two weeks ago I bought myself a asus rog strix gl702vi-gc059t gaming laptop at Mediamarkt NL. We have this lovely week where they take 21% of all the prices (yes, much like Black Friday).

I was already searching for a new gaming laptop before this week started. With a budget of 2200 euro, the asus regular price was to expensive for my taste.

So when the price dropped from 2600 euro to around 2150 I compared it again to other laptops. It seemed like Mediamarkt's offer wasn't half bad.

mediamarkt advertised with the following specs:

Intel Core i7-7700HQ,

Intel Mobile HM175

geforce gtx 1080,

16gb Ram, 

256GB M2

1TB HDD

120 HZ screen with G-sync

So it seemed like a good package for the price. Somewhere withing that week I bought the laptop. It worked like a charm.

A day after receiving the laptop I found myself wandering through the Nvidia control-panel. This was where I first noticed that the screen is not a 120 Hz but a 75 Hz screen.. 

So I contacted Mediamarkt and told them that they gave me a 75 Hz model instead of the 120 Hz model.

Mediamarkt offered there sincere apology and said that I could get a refund if I want. My reaction to this message was that I would love the same laptop, with a 120 Hz screen instead of the 75 Hz.

Mediamarkt said that that it is not possible to get an other asus rog strix gl702, but they would send me a gl503 if I'd like.... What a terrible joke.

I explained them how there is a 1000 euro price difference between the two laptops and that it would not solve my problem.

After a lot of wasted time I received two options. Keep the laptop and get 120 euro for the trouble, or return it and get your 2150 euro back, with a 50 euro giftcard. They also took the asus gl702 from their website like it doesn't exist. 

So I'm stuck with the question, what should I do?

Should I take the 120 euro ( which will not fix my Hz problem, but could be used to buy a screen)

or should I return it and buy an other laptop?

Or keep complaining until they come with a appropriate fix for my problem?

Anyway, thanks in advance for your opinions people!

I would send everything back to them... I don't want products from a company that have business practices like that.

I'm very familiar with the Mediamark and if I can avoid buying there, I will do it at all costs. I'm even willing to spend more in another store than buying there.

I went there for advice a few times, always got home with the wrong part (because they know jack shit about their products).

They sent my grandma home with a 2000 euro's gaming PC when she asked for a "suitable pc to email her sister with".

As soon as you get in contact with their customer support, things become really nasty quickly. 

If you've bought a asus rog strix gl702vi-gc059t, in my opinion, they should provide that laptop... Not some other side solution.

PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

I'd take the 120 euros, then try overclock the monitor.

It's still worth 2000 euros for that hardware. You can use an external monitor if you'd like to.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

8 minutes ago, THBACH said:

return it and get your 2150 euro back, with a 50 euro giftcard.

That's a pretty generous offer for a website that could basically say too bad so sad for you.

1 minute ago, Pangea2017 said:

did you have searched on ebay or aliexpress what the 120 hz panel cost? you can upgrade the notebook yourself (void waranty) or ask asus to do this.

Asus replied that Mediamarkt is responcible and they can't be of any help for me.

The 120 hz screen costs around 170 dollar at the moment

To be honest, you won't notice the difference.. Take the 120 and enjoy a great gaming lappy for under 2 grand. The important part is that the cpu, gpu and ram are correct as that is were the true power is at. While an inconvenience, it's still a sweet setup and a good price either way.

As for their screw-up, I don't think it was on purpose.

Passmark 4507

Time Spy   3837

Fire Strike   11287

Why do you consider this to be a bad experience? Sure, it's unfortunate, but seems to me that Mediamarkt handled your complaint more than adequately, and offered you plenty of options for compensation? o.O

c u r r e n t  /  ROG MAXIMUS Z690 FORMULA  /  I7-12700K  /  2080TI  /  32GB DDR5  /  LIAN LI PC-O11 DYNAMIC

Z170 STINGER  /  6700K  /  TITAN X  /  32GB DDR4  /  NZXT MANTA  /  j u i c e b o x  build log

nohasslemods 

I would send it back take the refund and go somewhere else to get the laptop so you can get what you want.

On another note that's to the title I have the song by the clash, should I stay or should I go? stuck in my head :P 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN1WwnEDWAM

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

1 hour ago, partymarty said:

I would send everything back to them... I don't want products from a company that have business practices like that.

I'm very familiar with the Mediamark and if I can avoid buying there, I will do it at all costs. I'm even willing to spend more in another store than buying there.

I went there for advice a few times, always got home with the wrong part (because they know jack shit about their products).

They sent my grandma home with a 2000 euro's gaming PC when she asked for a "suitable pc to email her sister with".

As soon as you get in contact with their customer support, things become really nasty quickly. 

If you've bought a asus rog strix gl702vi-gc059t, in my opinion, they should provide that laptop... Not some other side solution.

If your Grandma didn't get her money back for that obvious oversell, you should complain for her maybe... I hate shops that oversell like that, it's really bad business practices and I think it's actually illegal in some places.

I hope she gets her money back and an actually suitable one that should be around 300 euros at most IMO for her needs.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

I'd personally take the 120€ and keep the laptop, partly because I don't care that much about high refresh rate, never saw a great difference. You got a good deal on that laptop for around 2 grand IMO.
If you're so after that 120Hz, there's no other option than return it, but question is, will you get the same hardware for that price again AND 120Hz? I guess not.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

3 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

If your Grandma didn't get her money back for that obvious oversell, you should complain for her maybe... I hate shops that oversell like that, it's really bad business practices and I think it's actually illegal in some places.

I hope she gets her money back and an actually suitable one that should be around 300 euros at most IMO for her needs.

I went to the store and got her money back. Bought some basic desktop (at another store) with a SSD and called it a day. 

The Mediamarkt has got a system which gives employees a fee (or a phone or whatsoever) if they sell products above a certain price...

So the employee that sold my grandma some 2k pc got something nice from the company as well.

That's what makes the Mediamarkt the worst store I can think of in my close proximity...

PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

If this was the USA you'd get enough money to get a partnership with both Nvidia and Asus.

But in all seriousness, i think both options sound good, but it boils down to whether you want to solve your problem or teach them a lesson. 

1.- If you want 120Hz refresh rate at all cost, you might just take the 120 Euro and go get a monitor somewhere else which is still a win-win for you.

2.- If you want to leave a reminder for the shop manager and the company to be careful with fake advertising, just take the 50 Euro, buy some External HDD or something and walk away.

6 hours ago, THBACH said:

Dear community,

Two weeks ago I bought myself a asus rog strix gl702vi-gc059t gaming laptop at Mediamarkt NL. We have this lovely week where they take 21% of all the prices (yes, much like Black Friday).

I was already searching for a new gaming laptop before this week started. With a budget of 2200 euro, the asus regular price was to expensive for my taste.

So when the price dropped from 2600 euro to around 2150 I compared it again to other laptops. It seemed like Mediamarkt's offer wasn't half bad.

mediamarkt advertised with the following specs:

Intel Core i7-7700HQ,

Intel Mobile HM175

geforce gtx 1080,

16gb Ram, 

256GB M2

1TB HDD

120 HZ screen with G-sync

So it seemed like a good package for the price. Somewhere withing that week I bought the laptop. It worked like a charm.

A day after receiving the laptop I found myself wandering through the Nvidia control-panel. This was where I first noticed that the screen is not a 120 Hz but a 75 Hz screen.. 

So I contacted Mediamarkt and told them that they gave me a 75 Hz model instead of the 120 Hz model.

Mediamarkt offered there sincere apology and said that I could get a refund if I want. My reaction to this message was that I would love the same laptop, with a 120 Hz screen instead of the 75 Hz.

Mediamarkt said that that it is not possible to get an other asus rog strix gl702, but they would send me a gl503 if I'd like.... What a terrible joke.

I explained them how there is a 1000 euro price difference between the two laptops and that it would not solve my problem.

After a lot of wasted time I received two options. Keep the laptop and get 120 euro for the trouble, or return it and get your 2150 euro back, with a 50 euro giftcard. They also took the asus gl702 from their website like it doesn't exist. 

So I'm stuck with the question, what should I do?

Should I take the 120 euro ( which will not fix my Hz problem, but could be used to buy a screen)

or should I return it and buy an other laptop?

Or keep complaining until they come with a appropriate fix for my problem?

Anyway, thanks in advance for your opinions people!

i did not get one thing, searching for that model in asus website it says it is 120hz. Is there a same model number with 75hz? also was it bought on a physical store or online?

they basically sent you a wrong item, you should ask for the item you bought. In many countries (mine for example), they would be forced to honor it or it would be a crime. This is made so companies cannot trick customers on purpose.

I don't exactly know if this is a EU law that was transposed from EU law to my countries law or if it's a local law. You should look Netherlands law and EU law, also it may vary if it was bought retail or online, if you had already paid it when you received it or not (you're usually more protected if you had already paid for it, i think it's your case right?)

Isn't there a consumer defense entity in the Netherlands you could ask?

i still think they were fair with you. But if your law protects you from this you should totally go for it.

I wonder if it is just a case of having to to enable it in settings and 75 is just the default setting. I know that I have to turn on freesink for my lg monitor to be seen on windows to work at 75. 60 is the default. I'm suggesting this as it seems they don't show the model with 75 HZ panel. Never messed with a laptop with the better refresh rates so I don't know the deal with them or if they are similar to some of the desktop monitors with the better refresh rates.

Passmark 4507

Time Spy   3837

Fire Strike   11287

Wait:

You often have to go into your display properties and change it there.

I once got a 75hz monitor, but it arrived set to 60hz. And I had to change it to 75 in display adapter properties.

5 hours ago, partymarty said:

I went to the store and got her money back. Bought some basic desktop (at another store) with a SSD and called it a day. 

The Mediamarkt has got a system which gives employees a fee (or a phone or whatsoever) if they sell products above a certain price...

So the employee that sold my grandma some 2k pc got something nice from the company as well.

That's what makes the Mediamarkt the worst store I can think of in my close proximity...

Glad you got it sorted out OK... makes me feel physically ill that people can do this to others, really screw over someone that doesn't know what they are doing to get some extra money. With all my faults, that is one thing I could not do to someone as I have a conscience. I hope that "sales person" gets what karma has in store for them at some point :)

OP, I would NOT accept their offer at all, take the money and buy from soemwhere else. I am not a big fan of laptops personally, and certainly not for that kind of money. I would rather get a small form factor desktop if space is tight, and if you need something just for at school, I would personally still get the desktop, plus a cheap laptop for school... I certainly wouldn't have an expensive laptop at school. But everyone's different and if that's what you want then OK, just buy form elsewhere if you are able to.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini