ARM announcing ISim (Sim Card + Processor in one package)

Deus Voltage

Arm is attempting to combine two technologies into one, sim cards and processors. Basically, they're trying to mass produce and share the design of what they call "I-Sim' with their respective partners. I can definitely see several advantages to this sort of technology, such as size reduction of phone bezels due to the reduction of phone components. The deficit in physical size can also translate into less cost, which is precisely ARM's goal (check articles linked below).

Note: this is different from Google's Pixel XL2's E-SIM which is "permanently' embedded in the phone itself.

ap_resize.jpg.c7f180abb4e3bed84b9767ce1c0ea5be.jpg

:SSim.png.446df8c4061b511cfd4867a7a239c2b0.png

Sources:

The Verge:

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/2/21/17030040/isim-arm-iot-sim-card-cellular-mwc-2018

Android Police:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/02/21/arm-announces-isim-technology-embedded-devices/

Gizmochina: 

https://www.gizmochina.com/2018/02/22/arm-technologies-announces-isim-iot-devices/

17 minutes ago, Deus Voltage said:

The deficit in physical size can also translate into less cost

That's gonna happen eventually, but I feel like it's gonna be expensive for the first few generations ('cause of component costs)

neat..

1 of 2 things will happen:

1. Every phone is going to have it and it'll be amazing

2. It'll die off and fail.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Always wondered how would you so called extract the SIM if like phone breaks for example. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

SIM OS running on secure enclave

Do we really need a discrete OS for the SIM card? As ARM is more open, I'd be surprised if this started to gain more capabilities than it should (Thinking along the lines of IME and its network stack even if it does have its use) but its worth a thought.

>embedded devices

I don't need my toaster to be on the internet. No thx.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Meh, I would prefer storage as you could transfer all your data while transferring your SIM card 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

23 minutes ago, hobobobo said:

I dont understand this, is this for the 5g capable devices, since 5g is designed mostly for cars fridges cettles and whatever else you want to make smartish? Or is it mostly b2b thing, for oems to be able to use esim but cheaper? a non-removable sim card is already a sketchy thing, sure its nice if you use 1-4 different sims on the regular, but for people switching sims like a glove (or people who travel alot and get those tourist sims) its just a hassle

5G is designed for everything to be connected - that includes existing devices.

The point of integrated sim (in whatever form) is to be able to swap virtually at will (maybe even have multiple active virtual sims). However I suspect there are multiple interests including service providers working against it. And it's also possible (despite the paradox) that this approach makes things more expensive especially for travellers who are used to switching frequently. Then there's network support which throws the ball into the hands of service providers. That's not good. 

So in theory it should be better and easier for you but in practice it's probably gonna be worse - maybe a lot worse if corporate gets their way.