2 Reasons Why Apple Dominated

minervx

1) Windows is a total clusterf*** of an operating system full of dated software/settings, clutter, excessive menus, a subpar search engine, software errors, sound errors, driver problems, viruses, installation problems, high RAM consumption on older machines, intrusive Microsoft apps and inferior performance on older systems.

2) Apple established strict quality control whereas Microsoft sold their OS to many companies without thorough inspection of quality; and eventually consumers got tired of buying computers that broke after 2 years.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

In what way have they dominated?  Windows is actually by far the most common OS.  Not a knock against Apple, it's just a fact.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Hmm, yeah, Windows is by far the most common OS. Window's inherent issues / driver issues are kind of related by the fact that windows has to try to support a lot of configurations. That's quite the feat by Microsoft, you have to admit.

Apple does have pretty good support because they only need to support the hardware they sell, which makes working out issues much easier.

Personally I'm learning Linux in addition to Windows. I do hope to play with Mac in a VM one day though.

3 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Hmm, yeah, Windows is by far the most common OS. Window's inherent issues / driver issues are kind of related by the fact that windows has to try to support a lot of configurations. That's quite the feat by Microsoft, you have to admit.

Apple does have pretty good support because they only need to support the hardware they sell, which makes working out issues much easier.

Personally I'm learning Linux in addition to Windows. I do hope to play with Mac in a VM one day though.

Yeah, Linux is great. Personal favourite distro is Ubuntu mate.

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

In what way have they dominated?  Windows is actually by far the most common OS.  Not a knock against Apple, it's just a fact.

Sales, revenue, customer loyalty, cultural dominance.  I do agree that there are millions of affordable Windows machines that reach markets which couldn't otherwise get computers, but I hope I don't sound too biased in saying they're inferior goods: basically, half of people with Chromebooks or $200 Lenovo-books would buy a Macbook if it weren't out of their budget.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Just now, minervx said:

Sales, revenue, customer loyalty, cultural dominance.  I do agree that there are millions of affordable Windows machines that reach markets which couldn't otherwise get computers, but I hope I don't sound too biased in saying they're inferior goods: basically, half of people with Chromebooks or $200 Lenovo-books would buy a Macbook if it weren't out of their budget.

Oh that's what you're talking about... I would have mentioned that in the OP

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 hours ago, JustAStrangeGeek said:

Because MacOS has no bugs/issues...

Mac OS certainly isn't without fault.  They have some bloatware I'd get rid of and apps they should modernize (Launchpad/Itunes/App Store).  However, I've probably had 1/10th the amount of issues with Mac as I've had with Windows over the years.  God knows how many times, especially in the 90's and 2000's, I had to do a system restore on my family's computers or my own because there was either a virus or Windows started slowing down due to accumulating so many files in its archives.

5 hours ago, JustAStrangeGeek said:

And apple only has about 7% market share when it comes to PCs

Yes. For industrial uses Windows dominates.  Millions of cubicles and offices have Windows.  Colleges and high schools will buy 200 Windows PC's and maybe two Macs just to diversify.  

On a consumer end, it's quite evident people shifted to Apple over the years.

2 minutes ago, JustAStrangeGeek said:

Yeah, Linux is great. Personal favourite distro is Ubuntu mate.

Thanks. I was recommend debian by another friend. Ubuntu looks great as well though.

But yeah, Hyper-V isn't so great at running Linux. I'll be redoing things with VMware exsi.

@minervx I've dabbled a bit with MacBook pros due to my cousin owning one. Indeed it's a sold machine. No complaints from me there with the OS or the machine itself (aside from price / specs). I've personally had my $550 acer laptop for four years now and haven't had a single issue with it. Neither on my PC / server either aside from normal BSODs while overclock testing.

But yeah, for my family members that aren't tech savvy, mobile platforms / Linux / mac are better ideas for them...they can't screw them up as easily (but they still find a way I swear). Sadly though, not everyone can afford a MacBook (or if there is a cheap MacBook, it's a used older model that's outclassed by a cheap windows PC). I think Windows you do deal with some headaches with potential hardware issues, but if you're reasonably tech savvy, it's pretty easy to steer clear of viruses. Usually it's when my family members start downloading questionable links that they get hit by stuff.

For years, I've been hoping that one manufacturer would be able to provide what Apple does at a sensible price, but it just doesn't happen often.  

* * Good build quality
* Good trackpads/keyboards
* Good displays 
* Low failure rate

* compactness/portability
* Not ugly looking
* No DVD drives for god sakes

However, it always seems like other companies always get a few of these aspects right and then miss on one critical one (such as having an unpleasant trackpad).

the formatting on this forum is horrible right now for some reason

7 minutes ago, minervx said:

For years, I've been hoping that one manufacturer would be able to provide what Apple does at a sensible price, but it just doesn't happen often.  

* * Good build quality
* Good trackpads/keyboards
* Good displays 
* Low failure rate

* compactness/portability
* Not ugly looking
* No DVD drives for god sakes

However, it always seems like other companies always get a few of these aspects right and then miss on one critical one (such as having an unpleasant trackpad).

the formatting on this forum is horrible right now for some reason

Hp spectre x360, eve V, microsoft surface book etc.

the only sensible price to come out of apple is the new imac pro.

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

-Apple has good build quality?

rememer the iPhone 6 (or 7)? That it bent under pressure?

-Apple has no failure rates?

Every company receives many failed units. And yet Apple doesn't?

-Apple's products aren't ugly?

They don't have RGB, so they're useless.

Why do people create these delusions with which they confuse with reality?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

The mind is a great and wonderful organ, with which reality can be squewed. But John Wick will get his revenge!

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

That's people for you.

4 hours ago, Canada EH said:

The mind is a great and wonderful organ, with which reality can be squewed. But John Wick will get his revenge!

Lol

9 minutes ago, JayKay3000 said:

I'm guessing you post is just trolling for fun as no one could write anything this stupid so I'll play:

• Windows is a total clusterf*** of an operating system - Sure, it's why everyone uses it and most business runs off it because it's so rubbish.
  • software errors, sound errors, driver problems - Blaming an operating system for other peoples poorly written drivers
  • viruses - Since it's the most popular it has the most viruses written for it and since many novices use Windows it's the easiest platform to exploit.
  • RAM consumption on older machines - Let's also not forget that applications use more ram and websites take more resources, internet is faster. But lets all go back to pentium 4s, 56k dialup, crt monitors and no mobile smart phones.
  • intrusive Microsoft apps - Considering that google, a gigantic ad agency that uses its products to serve ads and find ways to serve ads you're privacy and lack of intrusion went out the window the moment you made a google search. Facebook is collecting data on you as use the platform and gmail scans your email to find even more ways to target ads at you. Your bank knows where you are each time you use your debit card. Cameras are in stores and on the streets. Microsoft doing the same is just a natural evolution. It was.... ...inevitable.

-----

Windows 10 is actually the most stable and best versions of their operating system. I've had windows 2000, 95, xp, vista, 7, 8 & 10. While I think 7 got the balance of OS usability / productivity just right most people use a phone or tablet so going to this style of UI was natural even if un-welcomed. Most people are not computer enthusiasts.

----

I think the MAC OS started getting worse after Snow Leopard. If you have control over the full product life cycle and a closed system to allow only certain software you're going to obtain a higher level of compatibility. You will and apple does force upgrades by way of locking your old OS out of the software centre and out of patches.

Microsoft lets you get your own software and puts the responsibility for compatibility to the application writers. That a poorly written piece of software interacts badly with the Windows OS is the fault of the introduced software and not the Microsoft OS. Windows does a fairly good job of releasing new patches and the odd time they screw up they're usually fairly quick to release fixes.

----

I currently use Linux (at home) and it works well. I have had kernel updates break stuff in the past. I know the only reason I don't get loads of viruses for Linux is because the user base is so small it's not worth the effort and most people who use Linux are computer enthusiasts.

I have owned a mac book pro and sure it was a decent computer. The OS is nice.

I use a mix of apple, linux and windows os / products on a daily basis. I don't care what the OS as a computer is just a tool that allows me to get my computer 'stuff' done or reply to pointless forum posts like this.

----

If apple dominated for any reason it was because of Steve Jobs and his brilliant ability to entrance a room full of thousands with his outstanding sales delivery. Apple made computers look good and made computers desirable items. Most people had computers because they had to have them and aesthetics were pretty much zero on the list when selling a computer.

The closed system is a mark of guarantee that your system will work and not be torn down by rubbishy written software. For professionals trying to get work done this is attractive. Software has come a long way since those days and it's way more rare to have terrible software.

-----

All good choices though. Use whatever works for you, but don't try and shove your ideology on other people. Like apple - cool, like windows - cool, like linux - cool. But don't pretend either one is perfect.

I totally agree with you.

Jesus, how long did that take you to write up?

Waiting for this to be closed. Its another apple thread with less ability to discuss than quite a lot of the pple threads ive seen. Its more of an attempt to start a flame-wars. If you are gonna start an apple thread or any branded thread. Please, at least try to make it discussable.

All Apple did was get lucky with the timing of the growth of the "smart phone". That and the perfect salesman that Jobs was.. He sold a generation on being hip by being plugged in.

Had they not got the break, they would no longer exists, at least not in the fashion we have all come to know them. They have based everything they have done since on the model of "pretty sells". Well, the novelty has worn off and they are struggling to keep up and still be relevant in today's world. It does not help that they have been caught in the act, spinning things to hide problems and telling outright lies like, Apple is impervious to things like viruses..

Some seem to forget how fringe they were before the Iphone came along. The only thing they had going for them them back then was an MP3 player and a failing computer division.. Hitting it with the phones is the only reason macs survived, still fringe though..

Passmark 4507

Time Spy   3837

Fire Strike   11287