Why are almost all the videos hosted by Linus now (and not other LMG people)?

JonH

Don't get me wrong, Linus is great at hosting content and giving the brand a cohesive feel, so I'm not really complaining, but has anyone else noticed that there are way fewer videos recently which are hosted by other LMG staff?  Not that long ago, there would be a few videos hosted by other people on a fairly regular basis, but now it is like all Linus all the  time both on LTT and Techquickie.  Anyone know why? Is this just a coincidence or intentional based on video and revenue metrics? Am I out of the loop and this was already addressed?

Where my main man colton at ??

#ColtonGate.

well linus didnt hire them to host videos so thats why you dont see them hosting.

linus has been the main host the whole time ...?

sure other people at LMG did host sometimes but that was probably because linus was at CES or something

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

you're right he used to host them all, then for a time others were really involved, but now he seems to be in a lot more of the videos being published.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Because it is LinusTechTips, it's right there in the name!

But up until Luke got 100% involved in FloatPlane Media, he hosted videos multiple times a week. Taran sometimes hosts videos, likewise Ed & Brandon. But Linus is the one who is the most natural on camera, and the fact it is his channel. Plus everyone else that has hosted videos in the past, their main role isn't host, they're an editor, camera operator, writer, or something else or a combination of those roles. Where as Linus is the CEO of LMG, he also writes scripts but he has always been the host & it's his vision for the most part. So yeah.

I do miss the build logs with Luke those were always good. But the others who have hosted have all hosted very specific topics, like Ed does mouse/peripherals best, Brandon anything camera related (my fave would be the smartphone camera shootout) & Taran does mostly robotic stuff, but his macro keyboard video will probably be everyone's favourite. Also build logs with Luke like the Fallout mini nuke ITX build was epic.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

So your rational with the name would be, well Rogers Stadium should have the Rogers family playing.

Lol I know Linus has been the main host the whole time, but for awhile he was encouraging other people to host stuff sometimes too...seems like that stopped all of the sudden I guess. I remember a period of time where Jon, Taran, Ed, Luke, Brandon, and I think Colton all hosted videos relatively near each other and I seem to remember Linus on the WAN Show mentioning trying to get others to host content too. But now, it seems like other employees only make cameos, which made me curious.

iv been a strong backer of this point for a while
we need more hosts.
variety is key. and right now its anything but varied.

(I mean, yeah sure here and there we get some background people here and there or luke may host 1/100 videos. but what I mean is someone else talking. not just you Linus.)

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Because the L is for Linus.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

51 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

iv been a strong backer of this point for a while
we need more hosts.
variety is key. and right now its anything but varied.

(I mean, yeah sure here and there we get some background people here and there or luke may host 1/100 videos. but what I mean is someone else talking. not just you Linus.)

I'd like to see Riley (Keys) from NCIX Tech Tips join and host videos. I always liked him. But he's off doing his own thing now iirc.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

8 hours ago, Canada EH said:

So your rational with the name would be, well Rogers Stadium should have the Rogers family playing.

Didn’t realize that Linus was only the sponsor of the channel and not the host as stated under his job description, my bad.

Luke has been the second most frequent host, but now he's busy with Floatplane. So that's probably a big part of it. 

I will say the supporting roles of the other staff in the videos is great. Which is partly because they work as a team, and each "character" they portray tends to keep to how they act/portray themselves on camera. So Max grooving to music in a review, Dennis acting a fool/newbie etc (others work with PC, game, build, take phone calls, go shopping, being sarcastic etc).

I can understand it being really difficult asking everyone to learn how to present on screen or learn to review, or learn to drop things... ;)

But by all means, if they do have staff who they think will be great being a "presenter/hoster" then that would add some variety. :)

I feel ya, it feels like LMG has become a well oiled video spitting machine that feels like it has a rhythm that is working for them but personnaly have found it to be rather stagnat these days and beside the cool new tech, that their is not much cool new video style experiments to see what will take them to the new step.

17 hours ago, JonHoffman said:

Lol I know Linus has been the main host the whole time, but for awhile he was encouraging other people to host stuff sometimes too...seems like that stopped all of the sudden I guess. I remember a period of time where Jon, Taran, Ed, Luke, Brandon, and I think Colton all hosted videos relatively near each other and I seem to remember Linus on the WAN Show mentioning trying to get others to host content too. But now, it seems like other employees only make cameos, which made me curious.

Jon still does some of the videos regarding Techquickie. And Colton mostly does CSF. I do agree that we could use more Camera Related tech from Brandon, Random tech and overly detailed reviews from Taran, and I just miss Luke in general. he WILL be coming back for the One year PC case benchmark though, so thats good

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

On 2/18/2018 at 1:49 AM, themctipers said:

linus has been the main host the whole time ...?

sure other people at LMG did host sometimes but that was probably because linus was at CES or something

It was really just luke and linus hosting the vast majority and now that luke isnt doing much video work its basically just linus simple 

Probably because it wasn't in their job description when they got hired, or Linus saw better potential in them doing something else than being an on screen personality. 

However, I do agree. It would be nice to see a fresh face that isn't Linus every now and again. 

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

I wanna see Luke more often.

Also when you fade away from Linus for product shot and you got that purple haired womans nail polished hands.

Personally I rather see more of a mix of workers and not "just" Linus. There is only so much of one person you can take, unless they are your lover :P But even then...

I understand they all have their parts in the company but spending 1 hour to film a 4.5-8 minute video will kill production that much? I doubt it...

I think Linus loves the limelight.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

I wanna see Luke more often.

Also when you fade away from Linus for product shot and you got that purple haired womans nail polished hands.

Lukes dead at LMG xD All videos with him in it from here on out are all pre-recorded including all WAN shows ;)

She has a name you know...

If you do not want to watch Linus in his LMG videos and quickies, then watch someone else on YouTube.  This is Linus's occupation and production.  Why should he go out of his way to incur extra expense and sideline himself from the videos LMG produces?  If you want to watch more content from other providers, there is Float Plane and as I mentioned other YouTubers. 

If there is one wish list for LMG productions, it would be to sell GPUs at a reasonable cost on a members only store.  There may be a conflict though with some of his sponsors, so I guess may be some provider on Float Plane could make the members hardware buying group.  Pick the best GPU and bulk purchase before the Bitcoin Miners can horde them.  

Didn't read but I'd imagine the Linus videos have higher metrics

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

3 hours ago, MikeSK said:

This is Linus's occupation and production

Linus's actual occupation is the CEO of both LMG and Floatplane... I'm sure he has better things to do other than standing in front of a camera all day ;) Maybe back in the day pre current location, but now...

3 hours ago, MikeSK said:

If there is one wish list for LMG productions, it would be to sell GPUs at a reasonable cost on a members only store.  There may be a conflict though with some of his sponsors, so I guess may be some provider on Float Plane could make the members hardware buying group.  Pick the best GPU and bulk purchase before the Bitcoin Miners can horde them.

This is financially not logical for any business, as many here who frequent the forums already own what they want. Also depending on the requirements it's real easy to manipulate w/o incurring additional expenses on their end, as in tons of human verification hours...

The fact you also just said Bitcoin miners shows you have no idea what's going on besides the fact there are no GPU's... Bitcoin hasn't been able to be mined on GPU's for something stupid like 10 years...

One last little tidbit, because LMG or Linus for that matter isn't a authorized reseller most middlemen won't sell to them, not to mention due to the LMG mining videos they could also refuse to sell to remove the possibility of them lying to just mine. Then there's the fact that Linus would be at the bottom of the receivers list, and inventory is hard to get ahold of in the first place for the distributors... AKA too many factors, very unlikely to happen, not profitable for them to do with all the hassle it requires.

2 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

Didn't read but I'd imagine the Linus videos have higher metrics

I find Luke has the better voice for videos, Linus's can be too pitchy at times. This could be due to the mics they use however, as during the WAN show it's not a issue till the voices start ramping up.