Skype can't fix a nasty security bug without a massive code rewrite

CMYKninja
3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

And this things sounds like an over-hype for attention by the discover... with statement like:

Sooooo a normal Administrator... true administrator is the highest level you can be on a Windows system. That is like saying "the malware will be root on steroid!!!"  on a Linux based system. It's root, there is no higher!. You have full access to all.

Tell that to TrustedInstaller... That twat usually denies you hard when you want to do something serious, even if you are admin.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Skype is ending it's Enterprise version anyways, and I feel like the rest of Skype is going to be released by their Skype business replacement. So not fixing it is probably worth it if it's already reached end of life... But I don't use Skype, so not that big a deal for me. And the company I work for is transitioning to something else. Maybe team speak or something? Not too sure yet.

There is microsoft Teams, something nobody knows about, let alone using it.

Slack is also an option, imo it's something like "discord for business". I can be wrong tho but that's at least the sense i get from it.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

4 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I still use Skype because I'm not going to bother switching to whatever chat client is the flavor of the month.  If it's not on iMessage, WhatsApp, or Skype then I don't need it.

Discord has been around for years, if you only use Whatsapp/imessage and Skype I won't be talking to you :D

I'll be completely honest I forgot Skype existed. I use WhatsApp for everything.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

4 hours ago, Being Delirious said:

Who uses Skype again? I last used that in 2012 lmao. Discord has way better voice and video quality. And the way in general they have it setup is great.

2 hours ago, Cheezdoodlez said:

Who uses Skype these days? Well. Tech companies and reviewers do. I've had contact with reps from various hardware tech companies and resellers over the years. Afaik LMG also uses Skype for stuff. Linus has complained about the separation issues with Skype and Skype for business on wan show atleast two times.

But is it a platform for personal use anymore? Not so much. 

7 minutes ago, spat55 said:

Discord has been around for years, if you only use Whatsapp/imessage and Skype I won't be talking to you :D

It's a 7-billion-people world out there. Compared to Skype, Discord is an obscure niche product.

Skype can be an inexplicably bad program at times, but the success of a communication service ultimately depends on the size of the network. If cell phones didn't had interoperability with landlines we might have continued hooked to the copper pair to this day...

37 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Tell that to TrustedInstaller... That twat usually denies you hard when you want to do something serious, even if you are admin.

If you are admin, you can change permissions. A malware can have fun with that.

37 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

There is microsoft Teams, something nobody knows about, let alone using it.

Slack is also an option, imo it's something like "discord for business". I can be wrong tho but that's at least the sense i get from it.

Actually MS Teams is a big success. And MS is working on it at full speed on it. It does what Slack can't, and offer pricing model that Slack can't compete for medium companies and up. Slack business model and target audience focuses is on startups and small companies.

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Actually MS Teams is a big success.

Wouldn't put it like that - it's barely got traction.

37 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Wouldn't put it like that - it's barely got traction.

Well it has many third party extensions, Git, Jenkins, Jira, Confluence, and more (I don't know the whole list, but I recall seeing screenshots with lots of apps.. sadly I can't find a page with the list of extensions (MS calls them Apps)).

On Android only, the app passes 500,000 downloads (the bracket range is 500,000 to 1 million, so it is in between the 2). Really good for new app that is not even a year old.

Note: I said big success, not a huge one.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Well it has many third party extensions, Git, Jenkins, Jira, Confluence, and more (I don't know the whole list, but I recall seeing screenshots with lots of apps.. sadly I can't find a page with the list of extentions (MS calls them Apps)).

It can have all the third party extensions it wants but the truth of it is that next to no one has deployed Teams yet because it isn't a finished product to the point where India and Japan don't even have access to it yet.

https://skypeandteams.blob.core.windows.net/artefacts/Skype for Business to Teams Capabilities Roadmap.pdf

A shit ton of business places still uses Skype, certainly for private IM there are a lot of better alternatives, myself ditched Skype as personal IM ages ago in favour of Telegram and Discord, however at my business as export manager the majority of my associates (different countries) only communicates through Skype rendering it needed still.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

Why are people still using Skype? It's fucking ancient 

Skype is a slow, uncustomizable, and bloated piece of crap - especially in Windows 10, where it can't even be minimized to the system tray while still running. I still use it because I haven't bothered to search for alternatives.

What other programs are better than Skype? Anyone can answer.

ICQ Lite is the best messenger I've used. For some reason, people kept migrating to worse and worse messengers, though - like MS Messenger, and then Facebook and Skype.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

7 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

I would suggest discord, but there may be a better solutions depending on your use case.

40 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Skype is a slow, uncustomizable, and bloated piece of crap - especially in Windows 10, where it can't even be minimized to the system tray while still running. I still use it because I haven't bothered to search for alternatives.

I agree on the performance of the UWP app version of Windows 10. What a joke.. Funny thing is that when it was first released, it was nice, fast and responsive. It lacked many features, but you you had the core essentials up and running. It showed lots of potentials for the future. Then it felt like they outsourced the whole thing on the cheap, with people that never heard of the word "optimization", and got bloated mess.

However, for the minimize to tray, actually, when you close Skype UWP, it still runs on the background (assuming you didn't disable Skype from running on the background from the Windows Setting panels). You will still get messages (you'll get the notification pop-up). If you check Task Manager, you'll see it running. Also, you can use the People bar on the task bar, to have Skype there, and quickly chat to people you want. Basically you people on the task bar, pick them to chat, and get a notification on the icon when you get a message.

40 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

ICQ Lite is the best messenger I've used. For some reason, people kept migrating to worse and worse messengers, though - like MS Messenger, and then Facebook and Skype.

ICQ was great for chatting, but the infrastructure didn't consider the possibility to get millions of users. So using a simple user id increment to identify users, you had the early people with nice numbers like 1053, or 103... but if you were late to the party your user id was: 5123698520... yea.. fun at parties when you share ICQ numbers.. before smartphones, let alone cellular phone was a thing (pen and paper, was the best you had).

MSN killed ICQ using e-mail login instead. It made sharing easy and convenient, and the customization of your chat window, that everyone saw as they clicked on your name options is what attracted people to it (and very annoying). And MSN had primitive, but was something voice/audio chat. And then well Skype took over MSN due to the lack of customization (sounds familiar with how Facebook took over MySpace), and had excellent, at the time, audio/video system in place. Sadly, Skype didn't adapt, and still didn't adapt to the mobile world, where apps like Whatsapp forgo account creation, with using simple user phone number as login id (and open a lot of other problem, but people, so far, ignore them, such as change of phone numbers)

While you're at doing a "massive" rewrite, rewrite the whole thing, it's garbage. I guess while you're at that just install Discord.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Uhm. Skype. That POS should've died ages ago.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

4 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

Uhm. Skype. That POS should've died ages ago.

Yeah Skype is such a flaming heap of fish shit that it really needs to just stop existing.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

24 minutes ago, 2Buck said:

While you're at doing a "massive" rewrite, rewrite the whole thing, it's garbage. I guess while you're at that just install Discord.

Rewriting won't help unless you get the right people on it. Clearly Skype is not capable of doing this. No one would ever release a version of anything with sever performance issues. You better off waiting until the performance issues are fixed before being released. Sad to see Skype standard are so low. Then again... remember the Windows 8 Skype app.. you could not even send a picture. (and that was not a day 1 release thing... no... I forgot if they added it until the end of Win8 life, or never bothered.. that is 3 years!)

Worst part, is that Skype, the technology in itself, is there, fairly solid, and still good today to allow a great platform to be built on... but it is so badly represented by shoddy coding and lack of quality, that it is awful for the end user. MS should start hiring people with actual knowledge and expertise on that team. You want to laugh? Skype Win10 app got updated where depending on your setup, you would have the camera upside down, even Surface and Windows 10 Mobile products where affected by it. They didn't bother testing! And the worst part, is that this was reported A LOT on the feedback hub, but got ignored. It took the media to bring it out after several weeks of no fix (not including Insiders of Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile (recall both uses the same app, hence the original point of UWP apps), to have Skype team FINALLY fix it soon after.

the biggest piece of news here is; people still use skype?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

8 hours ago, JuztBe said:

Then rewrite whole thing. It's piece of crap as its stand currently.

And revert to the old GUI while they're at it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

the biggest piece of news here is; people still use skype?

It's the only IM and video chat client I use, so, yes.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

40 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Rewriting won't help unless you get the right people on it. Clearly Skype is not capable of doing this. No one would ever release a version of anything with sever performance issues. You better off waiting until the performance issues are fixed before being released. Sad to see Skype standard are so low. Then again... remember the Windows 8 Skype app.. you could not even send a picture. (and that was not a day 1 release thing... no... I forgot if they added it until the end of Win8 life, or never bothered.. that is 3 years!)

Worst part, is that Skype, the technology in itself, is there, fairly solid, and still good today to allow a great platform to be built on... but it is so badly represented by shoddy coding and lack of quality, that it is awful for the end user. MS should start hiring people with actual knowledge and expertise on that team. You want to laugh? Skype Win10 app got updated where depending on your setup, you would have the camera upside down, even Surface and Windows 10 Mobile products where affected by it. They didn't bother testing! And the worst part, is that this was reported A LOT on the feedback hub, but got ignored. It took the media to bring it out after several weeks of no fix (not including Insiders of Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile (recall both uses the same app, hence the original point of UWP apps), to have Skype team FINALLY fix it soon after.

Skype's client has always been some form of "bad" to "terrible". This stretches back before the acquisition by Microsoft. The complete inability for both companies to produce a stable, usable client that isn't some Eldritch Abomination has always suggested to me that it was both badly managed and had other priorities.