Amazon pulls lock screen ads from discounted Prime phones

Ryujin2003

Not to take away from Linus's Holy Sh!t, but wow. I didn't even know this was a thing. Granted, I do not use an Amazon Prime phone, so I guess I wouldn't have.

[Edit:] So I wasn't aware of Amazon Prime Phones, but they appear to be super cheap phones offered for Prime members. Probably part of a marketing thing to boost Prime subscriptions and retain members. Here is a screen from the website:

PrimePhones.png.22d9b3fb186676bfefcc0f82a769e1e0.png

This one is super quick, but I guess Amazon had been pushing advertisements to your phone during lock-screen. Advertisements would sit there like some sort of digital billboard. Even on the ad on Amazon, the lockscreen ads seems to be a selling point.

Amazon will sell its Prime-only phones without lock screen ads as of February 7th, and it's pushing an update this week that will strip the promos from existing phones. Amazon's app shortcuts will still be front and center once you've unlocked your phone, but you can always remove those if you don't care for Kindle books or Prime Video. Those who paid to remove ads can get refunds.

Well, I'm glad that refunds will go to those who already paid; however, pawning off products like that for ad-rev is horrific. Imagine what people would do if Sony and Samsung TV's showed advertisements when you turned them off?

I don't see much reason for Amazon to have done this in the beginning. Super invasive. Their reasoning for removing this isn't because of ethical or moral obligation, but instead because it can interfere with modern phones built in security functionalities:

The company explains this as a reflection of technological reality. Now that many phones have face recognition and fingerprint readers, Amazon wants to be sure those features work well. Ads that hijack your lock screen can sometimes preclude that. The company also touts the ability to personalize your screen as a motivating factor, although many would have argued that has been important from the outset.

Seriously, if I didn't want to customize my phone, I'd have gotten an iPhone. But I'm glad they recognize this as an issue, and don't really like how they are now going to use "screen personalization" as a freaking selling point for something everyone has been doing since.... Ever... I'm glad the personalization option is finally going to be available. You will still have the default Amazon apps as well as a Prime ad bar, but these can be hidden if you do not use them.

[Edit 2:] So I haven't really been able to find much out on other sites either. Amazon claims this is because of the ad feature interfering with facial recognition and fingerprint readers; however, I cannot really find much online yet as to how this would exactly be the case? How would this be different that message or email popups or even a background?  I guess I'm at a loss on how exactly this interference actually works.

[Edit:] In case you were curious, this is what cancer the ads looked like (courtesy of http://www.androidpolice.com/2018/02/06/amazon-removing-lock-screen-ads-prime-exclusive-phones/)

image.png.5e43f99fd127f791971632306822676b.png

If you have a Prime phone, enjoy your refund and no more advertisements on the lock screen.... But there is a catch:

Amazon is raising the price of every Prime Exclusive phone by $20. They should still represent discounts over the regular price, but they won't necessarily be the sweet deals you're used to. With that said, this could be a worthwhile sacrifice if you're tired of receiving sales pitches every time you text a friend. For the most part, you're now getting a garden variety smartphone that just happens to cost less than usual.

Amazing. Do they really think they are losing that much on advertisement revenue due to this? Holy cow. You had been profiting off your consumers this whole time (enough for a $20 hike), and they get nothing (aside from a refund) for being a product? I wasn't aware this was a thing, but now I am. And I'm very disappointing in Amazon for doing this. I am glad this is being removed and isn't an optional removal any longer.

As was pointed out by a couple others, I was a little negative. I am not a fan of explicit advertisement in every aspect of life.

Maybe next week EA or Activision will give us a mobile app that can advertise Lootboxes on our lock screen. Amazon stopped, so that market is now free..... /s

Original Source:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/06/amazon-pulls-lock-screen-ads-from-prime-only-smartphones/

2 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

since when did amazon have a prime exclusive phone lmao 

I can't tell if you are serious or not. It was 2014.

Just now, Max_Settings said:

Just now, Max_Settings said:

It was 2014

That's a long time ago fam, I barely remember my family's birthdays, let alone products. 

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

I don't get why you are upset, this was a product that people opted in to.

who's upset this is tech news

7 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Let's be honest, you forgot this phone existed.

It totally makes sense for Amazon to sell cheap low-budget phones to its consumers. I mean, they have to compete with Best Buy, ATT, and everyone else. So the cheap part I'm not surprised about. And since I don't buy my phones on Amazon, yes, I probably forgot they even did that. But Wow. I don't think I would've forgotten the ads.

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

I've definitely been an adult since before that, and I didn't remember that being a thing. And they've been pushing ads this whole time and no one thought it was a bad thing?

Back when I had an Amazon device, you could email support and they would disable the ads for free.

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I don't get why you are upset, this was a product that people opted in to.

I didn't think anyone would push advertisements on a lock screen. That is super invasive. And this has been going on for a while. I hate the ads that are pushed through various websites and everything else. I guess this made me realize that there really isn't a limit for invasive advertisement.

Opt-in because they wanted to see ads every day? Or opt-in because they needed a super cheap phone?

This the future. Adds on everything. Next thing you know your smart lights will somehow start to show adverts.  Side step: I remember that some time ago there was a company who gave you a flagship phone for dirt cheap, but the catch was that there were adds on it.

7 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Opt-in because they wanted to see ads every day? Or opt-in because they needed a super cheap phone?

Doesn't matter, it's not Amazon's job to give away phones.  If you need a cheap phone you can get a cheap phone, amazon was just offering better ones on the cheap.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I'm with @Damascus, I have no idea why you have such a negative tone to your post. It's not like they were forcing these ads on people unexpectedly, you bought the phone at a lower price with full knowledge that your lock screen would feed you ads. The ads boost sales of Amazon items, and they were targeted to the user. You're saving hundreds of dollars, I'd say the trade off is more than fair. I don't even look at the lock screen most of the time.

The fact they're removing the ads is an interesting step. I can see a lot of people buying these, since a lot of people find Amazon Prime useful on it's own. I wonder if they'll have new phones or if they'll get phones that are later on in age.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I don't understand what everyone's issue is with it. You have to pay X for your phone, and your attention to ads is worth Y to someone. So if they put on ads, they let you pay X-Y instead of X. You're just paying with a different currency. If you want to pay with full cash and not have ads, then... do that?

11 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Doesn't matter, it's not Amazon's job to give away phones.  If you need a cheap phone you can get a cheap phone, amazon was just offering better ones on the cheap.

I agree with you on that.

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'm with @Damascus, I have no idea why you have such a negative tone to your post. It's not like they were forcing these ads on people unexpectedly, you bought the phone at a lower price with full knowledge that your lock screen would feed you ads. The ads boost sales of Amazon items, and they were targeted to the user. You're saving hundreds of dollars, I'd say the trade off is more than fair. I don't even look at the lock screen most of the time.

The fact they're removing the ads is an interesting step. I can see a lot of people buying these, since a lot of people find Amazon Prime useful on it's own. I wonder if they'll have new phones or if they'll get phones that are later on in age.

I really just don't like the ads being pushed part. I can go back and readdress the tone. I only use my lockscreen to see what time it is. I don't have emails or notifications or anything else available there.

I just do not understand why there doesn't seem to be a moral/ethical line for advertisements within the online space. It's constant, all the time. And I never really noticed how bad it was until my son started showing brand recognition for things we've never purchased, but has picked up from commercials and advertisements he sees on TV or in mobile games when he goes off to his grand parents.

And I do agree, with your last statement with the ads being removed, I feel like they would sell better. If I needed a budget phone, i personally wouldn't chose a Prime phone with constant advertisements. However, since those are gone, if I needed to get a cheap phone, it would be a good place to start.

Just now, Ryujin2003 said:

I agree with you on that.

I really just don't like the ads being pushed part. I can go back and readdress the tone. I only use my lockscreen to see what time it is. I don't have emails or notifications or anything else available there.

I just do not understand why there doesn't seem to be a moral/ethical line for advertisements within the online space. It's constant, all the time. And I never really noticed how bad it was until my son started showing brand recognition for things we've never purchased, but has picked up from commercials and advertisements he sees on TV or in mobile games when he goes off to his grand parents.

And I do agree, with your last statement with the ads being removed, I feel like they would sell better. If I needed a budget phone, i personally wouldn't chose a Prime phone with constant advertisements. However, since those are gone, if I needed to get a cheap phone, it would be a good place to start.

The whole point is the phones were being sold for cheaper but you had to see ads. If you don't want ads then buy it at full price.

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600Motherboard - Asus Strix B350-F GAMING, RAM -  Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15, GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070Ti, Case - Phanteks Eclipse P400S, Storage - Crucial BX300 240GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5", PSU - Corsair CS650M, OS- Win10 Pro

2 minutes ago, AdoptedAsian said:

The whole point is the phones were being sold for cheaper but you had to see ads. If you don't want ads then buy it at full price.

I totally get that, and I'm not arguing against needing a cheap phone nor against a company having to find ways to offset cost of services. (I call this a service because it's for Prime subscribers only). I'm super stoked it's going away, but felt concerned it was a thing to begin with. It's like they are capitalizing on either those who just wanted a cheap phone for no reason (not that big a deal) or on those who honestly cannot afford anything "mainstream". You get what you can afford, but I feel like having your phone be used for advertising is a bit invasive and takes advantage of the customer.

Again, I get the consumer weighing the pros and cons. But it still doesn't make Amazon's implementation any more or less ethically/morally acceptable.

6 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I totally get that, and I'm not arguing against needing a cheap phone nor against a company having to find ways to offset cost of services. (I call this a service because it's for Prime subscribers only). I'm super stoked it's going away, but felt concerned it was a thing to begin with. It's like they are capitalizing on either those who just wanted a cheap phone for no reason (not that big a deal) or on those who honestly cannot afford anything "mainstream". You get what you can afford, but I feel like having your phone be used for advertising is a bit invasive and takes advantage of the customer.

Again, I get the consumer weighing the pros and cons. But it still doesn't make Amazon's implementation any more or less ethically/morally acceptable.

Ive been on the side that it is Fine because you as a consumer are not forced to buy the phone with ads nor were you unaware of the ads prior to purchase. Amazon makes sure that you know the discounted phone is full of ads. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

8 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

but I feel like having your phone be used for advertising is a bit invasive and takes advantage of the customer.

It's not taking advantage of anyone, if the individual is informed up front that they will be served ads on the lock screen.  If that aspect was hidden away in the agreement terms somewhere, then I would agree with you.  Given that it was prominently displayed on the sale page, I can't see how anyone can say they were taken advantage of.  I'd never use it, but if someone was willing to make the trade off, then more power to them.

8 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

The buyer is fully aware of the ads and they have plenty of other options. If they want something mainstream but can't afford it then Amazon won't be selling them a discounted phone for no reason. If the buyer doesn't like ads then they can just not buy it. This is just another option people can take if they want to and it's up to them whether they want to or not. If all Amazon phones were sold with ads or without the buyer's knowledge then it'd be unethical in my opinion.

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600Motherboard - Asus Strix B350-F GAMING, RAM -  Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15, GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070Ti, Case - Phanteks Eclipse P400S, Storage - Crucial BX300 240GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5", PSU - Corsair CS650M, OS- Win10 Pro

So basically you get like 5% of money and have to deal with ads in return?

Uh, no thank you.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

19 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Uh, no thank you.

Past tense.  As of tomorrow they don't ship with ads, and those that do will have the ads removed.

22 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Uh, no thank you.

It was, but they decided against it because it interferes with cameras and finger prints.

25 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Past tense.  As of tomorrow they don't ship with ads, and those that do will have the ads removed.

22 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

It was, but they decided against it because it interferes with cameras and finger prints.

Well it looks like I'm blind...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Well it looks like I'm blind...

Totally fine. I take it you wouldn't have wanted one with the full time ads on lock screen?