does it make sense to buy a switch in 2018?

KSores

so i really want a switch, i've wanted one since they came out. but they haven't dropped in price at all, do you think they will or will they only go lower in price when a switch 2 comes out? also do you think the switch has a few years left or do you think it will soon be obsolete being replaced with a switch 2 or something?

There's been no rumors of a Switch 2, so it will likely be quite a bit of time before it's replaced. As for a price drop....it's always possible, but afaik they've been selling incredibly well, so I doubt it will see a price drop either. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Does Nintendo have any plans for a Switch 2? 

These consoles are like the (3)DS/lite/I meaning that they stay around for a long time before being replaced. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

14 minutes ago, KSores said:

haven't dropped in price at all, do you think they will

they will drop in price over time

7 minutes ago, KSores said:

you think it's worth waiting, or should i just bite the bullet?

I would just get one now. It's Nintendo, they are not constantly pushing out new consoles and their stuff stays relevant for a long time. Plus, you would get to enjoy it now instead of 3 or 6 months from now. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k 3.7Ghz MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme4

RAM: Corsair Vengeance (4x4) Storage: Crucial MX300 275Gb | WD Blue 1Tb

GPU: XFX RS RX480 8Gb Case: Corsair 270R PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 750w

Monitors: HP 22cwa | BenQ BL2420PT  Cans: ATH-M50x 

Just now, sauce-c said:

I would just get one now. It's Nintendo, they are not constantly pushing out new consoles and their stuff stays relevant for a long time. Plus, you would get to enjoy it now instead of 3 or 6 months from now. 

very true!

Well, I think it is entirely possible that Nintendo will refresh the Switch with more storage but they definitely won't be announcing a Switch 2 anytime soon. I could very easily see a refresh being a 2018 drop. However, I don't think I would hold off on buying  a Switch in hopes that Nintendo updates it. You may end up waiting for nothing. If there are games you want to play on it, then buy it. Personally, I'm holding off until more games come out that interest me or aren't already available on superior hardware.

I also wouldn't expect a price drop anytime soon. It is selling way too well at its current price for Nintendo to consider dropping the price.

I wouldn't hold my breath on an actual price drop on the Switch in 2018. However, their game catalog doesn't look great for 2018 so I wouldn't be surprised to see them introduce a bundle like Switch + Super Mario Odyssey for $300 in a few months as sales of the console fall off. They're pretty easy to find for MSRP nowadays so I don't see how they're going to hold their value unless there is an unannounced Pokemon RPG coming in the next few months that is going to drive sales the same way BOTW and Odyssey have.

Err I've been out of the nintendo loop for a while but didn't the switch just come out last year or late 2016? My friend ended up getting a switch like 6 months ago and he and his girlfriend love it.

Me personally, I'd put that switch money towards new pc parts!

The Switch isn't even a year old, so it's likely there isn't going to be a Switch 2 any time soon. I also wouldn't really hold my breath for a refresh either any time soon.

You should be asking yourself "Does the Switch have enough games I want to play to make it worth while?"

Nintendo hasn't even replaced the 3DS, I doubt they'd consider replacing the Switch only a year after its initial launch.

I also doubt a price drop any time this year. We might see game bundles for the original MRSP, but I doubt we'll see an actual price drop.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Even if they do create a "more powerful" version of the switch... I wonder if they use Razer's naming convention and call it the "Nintendo Switch Blade"

xD

3 hours ago, Suika said:

Nintendo hasn't even replaced the 3DS, I doubt they'd consider replacing the Switch only a year after its initial launch.

In fairness, the Switch isn't meant to replaced the 3DS (at least imo).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

In fairness, the Switch isn't meant to replaced the 3DS (at least imo).

That's what I mean, per say. The 3DS still hasn't been replaced in the nearly 7 years it has existed, so the Switch probably isn't going to be facing a replacement for quite some time.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I think you are pretty safe getting one now.  As well as its selling, I wouldn't expect a price drop at MSRP any time soon nor do I think they will up and replace/succeed it with something else so soon.  The mini direct showed some nice goodies in the works for this year and they still have Metroid Prime 4 and the New Pokemon game down the pipeline.  Indie titles are plenty abundant on the system and third party support is honestly not bad at all.

A bit of fanboyism aside (or maybe not take it as you will) I actually find myself waiting to see if certain third party titles will get a Switch version just because of the portability aspect alone.  One example is Dragonball Fighterz while I'm set on getting it the title eventually and I very well could on PS4 or my PC the potential convenience of it being on the Switch (it hasn't been announced if they will or not though the system could def handle it) would make me buy that version of the game which is why I'm holding out.  This is actually why I also bought a physical version of Doom on my Switch as well even though I had it digitally on my PC. 

As for value thats to each their own and subjective as well as dependent on your situation monetarily.  I will only advise that if you don't see it in stores for whatever reason don't pay more than MSRP online.  I actually sold old PC parts on ebay and used that money to eventually buy a Switch at MSRP at Gamestop when I was able to find one in store.  Granted I waited till like September to do so but I don't regret it. 

If you want one badly I wouldn't wait for a price drop. Even their first party Wii-U titles have held their original price for years after their initial release.  

I got my Switch on launch day (I rarely get consoles the day they're launched) and I'm happy with mine.

If there are games you wish to play that have been released, just go out and get one. Like others here, I doubt there will be any significant savings (price drops or bundles).

On a personal note, It's a great system. Took it on vacation and it was a godsend when I was alone in the room with the kids napping.

The only game I care about playing on it is BoTW, and you can now emulate that at 4k easily. I personally think it's a very overrated system, and the launch lineup is why people are perceiving it as a good console.

Hi

On 1/24/2018 at 8:07 PM, 48Hz said:

The only game I care about playing on it is BoTW, and you can now emulate that at 4k easily. I personally think it's a very overrated system, and the launch lineup is why people are perceiving it as a good console.

i mean that is a fair point, although i'm not a massive fan of emulating games.