Tiny dust particle on the underside of my cpu.

I was picking up my cpu and saw some dust on the underside of it. I blew it of with my mouth and realising the mistake I made found a magnifying glass and saw that thear was a little bit of moist on the gold pads under the cpu. So i got a hairdryer and held it about 10cm above the cpu. Stood ther for 4min untill I felt that the pins were warm and than saw that the moist was gone. Am i screawed or am i going to be fine? My cpu is an 8700k btw.

you will be fine. if the CPU was out of the socket there was no current flowing through, so nothing will be damaged.

just make sure it is dry before reinstalling it again.

4 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

you will be fine. if the CPU was out of the socket there was no current flowing through, so nothing will be damaged.

just make sure it is dry before reinstalling it again.

Thanks. I have made so many mistakes with this new cpu. Get my new mobo in about a week so i just hope that the cpu still works when i get it.

Agreed with @RollinLower ; however, it's always a great idea never to use sure from your mouth to clean parts. Use compressed air.

The contacts under the CPU won't corrode easily, so you'll be fine.

Also, didn't know the 8700K had pins.

6 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Agreed with @RollinLower ; however, it's always a great idea never to use sure from your mouth to clean parts. Use compressed air.

He probably just means the contacts not actual pins

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

it's fine as long as there is no current running through it, woulda leave it for a while tho, so it can dry on it's own.

24 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Gold doesn't react with air like most metal so it wont really corrode.

ownit

6 minutes ago, Samten said:

it's fine as long as there is no current running through it, woulda leave it for a while tho, so it can dry on it's own.

It's dry, used a hairdryer

I could have simply used a paper towel.

Like the others say, the pads are gold plated so they won't corrode or oxidize, so as long as you remove the conductive liquid (the spit) you'll be fine.

Heat is not an issue, the processor may be up to around 80-100 degrees Celsius under the heatsink while you use the computer, so a bit of warm air from the hair dryer won't affect it in any way.

Just be careful when you install the cpu not to push it down or drop it on the socket, because you'll bend or break those contacts and then you can kiss you motherboard good-bye.  Place it gently in the socket and then install the heatsink and go on with your life.

Got some dust under my cpu. Can i clean it without compressed air?

I assume you mean dust in the motherboard socket. I wouldn't try to dust it off with any kind of cloth, compressed air is your best bet and it's pretty easy to get.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

10 minutes ago, Gamessys said:

I assume you mean dust in the motherboard socket. I wouldn't try to dust it off with any kind of cloth, compressed air is your best bet and it's pretty easy to get.

No i mean under my cpu. Is it okay to use a cloth on that?

5 minutes ago, TBFK said:

Do you mean your CPU cooler, can you take a picture for us?

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Is it an LGA or PGA socket? I'd personally use compressed air in any case.

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

5 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

Do you mean your CPU cooler, can you take a picture for us?

No i mean my cpu. On the pads. Its an intel 8700k. Do you think i can use my hairdryer on the cool setting so that it just blows cold air?

6 minutes ago, pelark said:

Is it an LGA or PGA socket? I'd personally use compressed air in any case.

Can i use my hairdryer at the cool setting so that it just blows cold air?

No i mean my cpu. On the pads. Its an intel 8700k. Do you think i can use my hairdryer on the cool setting so that it just blows cold air?

So it's in the socket! Use only compressed air! 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

So it's in the socket! Use only compressed air! 

No. I have not innstalled my cpu. Thear are a bit of dust under my cpu. How can i get it off without compressed air.

Can I use a hairdryer on the setting that blows cold air to remove dust from the underside of my cpu? I know that using compressed air is the best way, but im installing the cpu soon and don't have any.

I doubt if it has enough pressure to push away the dust.

If it is an Intel CPU, you can just wipe it off. AMD ones have pins on the bottom, so that makes it more complicated.

How did your underside of the CPU get dusty anyway? :D

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

I would be careful with potential static electricity building up. Use compressed air to be on the save side or at least use a ground of some sort.

um sure, but i wouldnt because it probably wont do much

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

11 minutes ago, TBFK said:

Can I use a hairdryer on the setting that blows cold air to remove dust from the underside of my cpu? I know that using compressed air is the best way, but im installing the cpu soon and don't have any.

It is worth a try but as most have stated it wont do a great job.  It may remove a lot of the loose dust that has not compacted yet.

ive bought one of these,

https://www.itdusters.com/product/compucleaner-xpert/

its a monster.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |