coax to hdmi???

wheuerman

Okay so on black friday, we bought a vizio 55 inch 4k tv, specicifally model m55e-0 or something like that. We currently have dish network for satellite tv. This new tv was going to be used in our basement, where there is a port on the wall that a coax cable plugs into and then coax into the back of the tv to watch dish. Now, this new vizio tv does not have a coax input on the back of the tv, everything is hdmi, I think there are 4 hdmi ports to be exact, and then 1 component input. So we tried using a rf modulator and we also ordered a sdi to hdmi converter box but I don't think any of these will work. Could someone recommend me to the exact product I need to be able to go from coax to hdmi? Thank you

7 minutes ago, wheuerman said:

Okay so on black friday, we bought a vizio 55 inch 4k tv, specicifally model m55e-0 or something like that. We currently have dish network for satellite tv. This new tv was going to be used in our basement, where there is a port on the wall that a coax cable plugs into and then coax into the back of the tv to watch dish. Now, this new vizio tv does not have a coax input on the back of the tv, everything is hdmi, I think there are 4 hdmi ports to be exact, and then 1 component input. So we tried using a rf modulator and we also ordered a sdi to hdmi converter box but I don't think any of these will work. Could someone recommend me to the exact product I need to be able to go from coax to hdmi? Thank you

You require a receiver from your provider to interface any satellite to your TV regardless if it's Coax out from the receiver to TV or HDMI. 

You'd need a receiver in most cases, but the owners manual for that model TV does say it has a coax input

Spoiler

Oz3PTVL.png?1

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Yeah i saw your picture but my tv does in fact not have a coax port on the back, so I have no clue what to do.

2 hours ago, wheuerman said:

Yeah i saw your picture but my tv does in fact not have a coax port on the back, so I have no clue what to do.

Any modern receiver will have digital output via HDMI, component cable and such. If your receiver doesn't have that as an option your going to need to get a new receiver. 

You will need a dish network satellite receiver that has HDMI output.

https://www.mydish.com/support/replacement-tv-setup

Likely your old system has the receiver sitting in a different room; either move it or get another one for this room.

The older receivers don't have an HDMI output, so you may need to get a new one if necessary.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:25 PM, wheuerman said:

goto satbox

menu then find tv modulation

note chan# and mode used(air/cable)

get old vcr and hook coax to input and tune vcr to sat tv chan

hook vcr to tv via redwhiteyellow rca plugs

note the m series states on website no internal tv tuner and that an external tuner is seperate purchase

i did not see if its a usb or hdmi tv tuner box thats needed

7 hours ago, bcguru9384 said:

goto satbox

6 hours ago, bcguru9384 said:

note the m series states on website no internal tv tuner and that an external tuner is seperate purchase

i did not see if its a usb or hdmi tv tuner box thats needed

While all of this is technically possible (Though part of it assumes someone owns a VCR in 2018) I have a better question:

What sane person would have an HDTV, a digital television subscription, and then squeeze that signal into the TV over Channel 3 on a Coax cable and then a composite cable?

3 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

While all of this is technically possible (Though part of it assumes someone owns a VCR in 2018) I have a better question:

What sane person would have an HDTV, a digital television subscription, and then squeeze that signal into the TV over Channel 3 on a Coax cable and then a composite cable?

Probably that same guy on Youtube that played Battlefield 1 on a 1"-1.5" BW CRT tv.

On my PS2 (PlayStation 2), the RF modulator has horrendous output quality on it's own. I'd assume that converting that terrible signal would incur another hit to quality, even if Composite is substantially better. 360P YouTube video is honestly better than either.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Probably that same guy on Youtube that played Battlefield 1 on a 1"-1.5" BW CRT tv.

On my PS2 (PlayStation 2), the RF modulator has horrendous output quality on it's own. I'd assume that converting that terrible signal would incur another hit to quality, even if Composite is substantially better. 360P YouTube video is honestly better than either.

I'm honestly having difficulty imagining any Dish Network box that DOESN'T have at LEAST composite inputs.  I literally think that every such box made in the last 20 years has composite, even on SD boxes.

I honestly wonder if the OP just has no idea what other outputs their dish box has.

6 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

maybe one who has no coax on tv and needs it,,,

read the whole thread

only comment if you have something with value to state

6 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

read the whole thread

I don't think that you understood my post...

1. Buy 50' Active (Redmere) HDMI cable
  2. Unscrew wall plate that has coax port in basement
  3. Disconnect coax cable from wall plate
  4. Bind coax cable to "Source" end of HDMI cable
  5. Unscrew wall plate that has coax port in living room
  6. Disconnect coax cable from wall plate and pull HDMI cable up to living room
  7. Connect "Source" end of HDMI cable to satellite receiver
  8. Connect "TV" end of HDMI cable to new TV
  9. Investigate options for replacing the wall plates for a tidy appearance

On 1/20/2018 at 4:47 PM, bcguru9384 said:

read the whole thread

You're misinterpreting her.

@AshleyAshes is saying that using a VCR (Yes, a VHS player), as an "intermediary" to convert (probably high definition) digital Satellite TV into an analog, low quality ("SD" is even a stretch, honestly) signal, is goddamn stupid. And I don't say that, as an insult to you. Nor am I saying you are stupid - as I know you are not.

But this:

goto satbox

is a bad plan.

@wheuerman, I have a question:

The coax wall plate. Where does that go? Is that plugged into a satellite receiver on the other end? Or does it feed directly from a satellite dish?

Also, please post images of the following:

1. The back of the Satellite Receiver you intend to use (I'd assume, that's what the wall plate is actually feeding from)

2. The back of the TV, showing all available inputs

Likely, your receiver has a different output that you can use, that will match the available inputs (Eg: Composite RCA cables, or Component cables).

However, assuming that you do indeed get high definition Satellite (I mean, who doesn't, in 2018?), you should really just buy or request a new HD Satellite Receiver from your Satellite Provider, that has HDMI outputs on it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

You're misinterpreting her.

@AshleyAshes is saying that using a VCR (Yes, a VHS player), as an "intermediary" to convert (probably high definition) digital Satellite TV into an analog, low quality ("SD" is even a stretch, honestly) signal, is goddamn stupid. And I don't say that, as an insult to you. Nor am I saying you are stupid - as I know you are not.

But this:

is a bad plan.

@wheuerman, I have a question:

The coax wall plate. Where does that go? Is that plugged into a satellite receiver on the other end? Or does it feed directly from a satellite dish?

Also, please post images of the following:

1. The back of the Satellite Receiver you intend to use (I'd assume, that's what the wall plate is actually feeding from)

2. The back of the TV, showing all available inputs

Likely, your receiver has a different output that you can use, that will match the available inputs (Eg: Composite RCA cables, or Component cables).

However, assuming that you do indeed get high definition Satellite (I mean, who doesn't, in 2018?), you should really just buy or request a new HD Satellite Receiver from your Satellite Provider, that has HDMI outputs on it.

i own dishnetwork vip222k now for 7 years

look it up

the satdish wire, your aerial antenna or cable tv , and your satboxes homedistribution system all share same coax wire...if your sat installer knew what they were doing(power of diplexor and splitters together)

and will you lose any quality if satbox has remodulated signal to 3mhz ant uses??? they use 6mhz now to carry 2 720p and 480p chans

seems theres signal space available for signal(if vhs player doesnot have a hd gpu(yes vcrs have this just usually incorporated on the decoder chip(pic32 chip with gpu)but does not mean the signaling chip cannot pass thru the signal(although since lineout to be used it will be resignaled to composet draw but if(super rare)vcr has component hookups then 720p more than doable)))

3 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

look it up

the satdish wire, your aerial antenna or cable tv , and your satboxes homedistribution system all share same coax wire...if your sat installer knew what they were doing(power of diplexor and splitters together)

and will you lose any quality if satbox has remodulated signal to 3mhz ant uses??? they use 6mhz now to carry 2 720p and 480p chans

seems theres signal space available for signal(if vhs player doesnot have a hd gpu(yes vcrs have this just usually incorporated on the decoder chip(pic32 chip with gpu)but does not mean the signaling chip cannot pass thru the signal(although since lineout to be used it will be resignaled to composet draw but if(super rare)vcr has component hookups then 720p more than doable)))

Why are you telling us your Satellite Receiver model?

Are you having the same issue as the OP?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

15 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Why are you telling us your Satellite Receiver model?

Are you having the same issue as the OP?

providing evidence of knowledge for when i got the hate post stating you can not put those 3 signals in same coax wire

no i have nearly no issues with my sat system

why my fam 25 year dish customer and 2 years echostar(giant 16foot dish) and 3to5 years primestar(original oval tiny dish) echostar giant dish was different name but still echo parent company

now first post in thread states satbox in different room with coax running thru wall so this is how dual tuner boxes and hopper/joey dish wiring goes (direct wires sameway just new equip labels)

but point is satbox hooked into another room

multi room sat system wirings are not really reciever moving friendly on the home distro side(your on wrong side of diplexor and splitters are better splitting signals then combining and in fact are supposed to resist return signals as a powerpass splitter needed for 2 way signal(diplexor combines,, splitter makes a copy(so to speak)but is 1 way,, powerpass is 2 way splitter))

note that -37.dB is the source signals accounted for loss to splitters etc,, 3.5 to 7 dB loss per splitter/diplexor(powerpasses vari) 

1 hour ago, bcguru9384 said:

look it up

Can anyone else make sense of this word salad?  Is English just not the user's first language maybe?

34 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Can anyone else make sense of this word salad?  Is English just not the user's first language maybe?

I mean I think I get the gist of it, but it's mostly a wall of text.

Not sure how it's relevant though.

We still have no idea how the OP's Satellite system is connected (and whether they're using a "distributed" system or not).

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2018 at 11:28 PM, wheuerman said:

This is so obvious how anyone here didnt notice this is amazing.
You didnt buy a TV, you bought a screen. If you google the model it says its a display screen. So the difference between this and a TV is that it doesn't have a TV tuner built in.

Just google TV tuner or TV receiver. Depending on your country will decide what you get. Then its a simple HDMI out of that box into the TV.

4 hours ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

This is so obvious how anyone here didnt notice this is amazing.
You didnt buy a TV, you bought a screen. If you google the model it says its a display screen. So the difference between this and a TV is that it doesn't have a TV tuner built in.

Just google TV tuner or TV receiver. Depending on your country will decide what you get. Then its a simple HDMI out of that box into the TV.

Uhh... The OP made it pretty clear that they are using Dish Network satellite service with a receiver/decoder box and not OTA broadcasts as you have somehow misread the OPs post as.

10 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Uhh... The OP made it pretty clear that they are using Dish Network satellite service with a receiver/decoder box and not OTA broadcasts as you have somehow misread the OPs post as.

Still a display and not a TV so would of always needed some other device to ever make it do anything.

4 hours ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Still a display and not a TV so would of always needed some other device to ever make it do anything.

Yes, he made it very clear that the TV does not have a TV Tuner in the first post and no one failed to understand that.