Early 2018 has to be the worst time to build a gaming rig..

Grimfrost769

We all know of the GPU issues plaguing the community right now. This has people in fits! Miners buying multiple GPUs and cleaning out stock of big box stores. On top of that there is a scalping issue when a stock becomes available it is immediately sold out and relisted on a site with less traffic with a pretty good percentage markup. People are hoping the release of Volta cards will provide a relief. But, really...how much is that going to effect supply of previous gen cards? They are already bled out to the point people are holding their breaths and waiting for prices to come down for months. Some hope for March(not happening) and some think May-June, realistically.

Then you have the spectre and meltdown issues for Intel CPUs. Patches affecting performance of CPUs. Intel kind of being scummy about it. Intel went from “should not be significant” to “may initially be higher” to “significant” in the space of a week.

Compile all this with the already explosive growth of PC gaming popularity, crypto-currency boom, and memory shortages...andddd we have $1400 GTX 1080ti's that are already sold out within minutes maybe even seconds of being posted.

Is there a worse time to build a new rig?

Storm Enforcer 2.0

CPU: I7 Intel 8700k / GPU: EVGA - GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked ACX 2.0+ / Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-H Gaming / Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200/ Storage: Samsung 850 EVO - 120GB + WD Blue 1TB / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650w G3 / Cooling:  Noctua NH‑D15S / Case: Cooler Master HAF932 Advanced

Don't forget RAM prices. My 16GB kit is almost 50% more expensive now.

But yeah it's kind of a bad time I guess :/

[Edit] @BensurFP haha ninja'd me :P

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

miners a couple of months ago were concerned with only using the cards that gave them the most power with less electricity cost. Today it seems that use just about anything.

I don't see how Volta will solve this, probably better performance and certainly more power efficient. We will most likely never get to buy Volta if the mining craziness doesn't stop. They also hated gddr5x and hbm, but i guess that with hbm2 upgrade it will get even worst.

I completely agree with your timing Grim. I've been sitting on my parts list now for a month, then Spectre/Meltdown. I think I'm going to wait until mid year unless prices on GPUs and RAM normalize before that.

23 minutes ago, Sickshooter0 said:

I completely agree with your timing Grim. I've been sitting on my parts list now for a month, then Spectre/Meltdown. I think I'm going to wait until mid year unless prices on GPUs and RAM normalize before that.

Meanwhile, I have been waiting since late August...

To me, It will always be a bad time to build a pc with these crazy prices of ram right now.

1 hour ago, asus killer said:

miners a couple of months ago were concerned with only using the cards that gave them the most power with less electricity cost. Today it seems that use just about anything.

I don't see how Volta will solve this, probably better performance and certainly more power efficient. We will most likely never get to buy Volta if the mining craziness doesn't stop. They also hated gddr5x and hbm, but i guess that with hbm2 upgrade it will get even worst.

I feel like this is going to be a problem for longer than people are thinking. Miners are making great money. It is possible that not many non-miners will be able to even touch a volta card withing 6 months of the release...maybe I am speaking out ignorance. I don't see this getting better until crypto currencies fall.

Storm Enforcer 2.0

CPU: I7 Intel 8700k / GPU: EVGA - GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked ACX 2.0+ / Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-H Gaming / Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200/ Storage: Samsung 850 EVO - 120GB + WD Blue 1TB / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650w G3 / Cooling:  Noctua NH‑D15S / Case: Cooler Master HAF932 Advanced

Got a 1080 for $400 on a Craglist Type app last month. Just some dedication to find one.

For the last year everyone has been saying dont build an computer and it doesnt seem to have a end in sight so it is what it is at this point. Just build it if you need / want it. 

Theres no exact time line or end point that youll be waiting for. Ram might be 2 years or 2 months to come down in price. same with GPU ect. 

If you have a 970 i5 ect something decent yeah the high price probably inst worth the upgrade but if your running a 660 and i3 or something older then i wouldnt wait if you can afford it.  a ryzen 5 and 1050ti is pretty decent for its price on the budget side 

Yeah prices have been fukked for almost a year now it kinda depressing just look at what 2000 dollars use to buy you in the Holiday buyers guide compared to know it a downgrade in storage 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

8 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Got a 1080 for $400 on a Craglist Type app last month. Just some dedication to find one.

For the last year everyone has been saying dont build an computer and it doesnt seem to have a end in sight so it is what it is at this point. Just build it if you need / want it. 

Theres no exact time line or end point that youll be waiting for. Ram might be 2 years or 2 months to come down in price. same with GPU ect. 

If you have a 970 i5 ect something decent yeah the high price probably inst worth the upgrade but if your running a 660 and i3 or something older then i wouldnt wait if you can afford it.  a ryzen 5 and 1050ti is pretty decent for its price on the budget side 

RAM is really not a problem. Yeah, non rgb 2x8 3200mhz sticks are around 200-220 alittle steep.But, it is nothing compared to these various factors that are completely tapping out the GPU market. CPUs are being affected too. I agree with your point that if you sit and wait you will wait forever. Most of the time that is true. But, mainly at this point in time..waiting is more feasible than paying the crazy inflated prices for GPUS; They are gone in seconds within being posted after being scalped from somewhere else.

Storm Enforcer 2.0

Anytime I read an article about the RAM shortage, someone in the comments uses this phrase "it's simply supply and demand economics"

my god, all the eyerolls.

39 minutes ago, Grimfrost769 said:

RAM is really not a problem. Yeah, non rgb 2x8 3200mhz sticks are around 200-220 alittle steep.But, it is nothing compared to these various factors that are completely tapping out the GPU market. CPUs are being affected too. I agree with your point that if you sit and wait you will wait forever. Most of the time that is true. But, mainly at this point in time..waiting is more feasible than paying the crazy inflated prices for GPUS; They are gone in seconds within being posted after being scalped from somewhere else.

If you look, you can often find a decent GPU either used or new. At christmas I was able to pick up a Zotac Amp 1080 and a Corsair CX750M for 600 dollars on newegg. It just takes time looking before you quit. I saw a 1070 for 350 dollars in my area as well. Im of the opinion that if you are building a Pc right now, you should probably just get a ryzen 5 with 8gb of ram at least until the ram prices lower a bit. Then get a 1050ti or 1060 for budget builds.

Case: InWin 303 Motherboard: Asus TUF X570-Plus Processor: Ryzen R9-3900x GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ram: 32 GB DDR4 3000 MHZ

PSU: Corsair CX750M Storage: 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD and a 2TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 HeadphonesSteelseries Arctis 7 Audio: Shure PGA58 with a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen

2 minutes ago, Grimfrost769 said:

Ram has doubled in price  in the last 2 years. Same problem as a 1060 for $500-600 if were going apples to apples. 

Yeah Ram Goes exactly along with what your sayin in terms of Problems of why computers are expensive.

My point is just GPUs have been like this for a very long time now. with some spikes and dips. Manily affecting middle ranged cards Waiting it out is completley unkown when if ever. if you need a new Computer since yours can no longer play newer tittles it might not be worth waiting.

At the end of the day its all VERY subjective to the situation for each person and there current standings theres no blanket statements of whats right for everyone 

3 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Ram has doubled in price  in the last 2 years. Same problem as a 1060 for $500-600 if were going apples to apples. 

Yeah Ram Goes exactly along with what your sayin in terms of Problems of why computers are expensive.

My point is just GPUs have been like this for a very long time now. with some spikes and dips. Manily affecting middle ranged cards Waiting it out is completley unkown when if ever. if you need a new Computer since yours can no longer play newer tittles it might not be worth waiting.

At the end of the day its all VERY subjective to the situation for each person and there current standings theres no blanket statements of whats right for everyone 

My point was RAM is still relatively attainable and I would not compare the two because the GPU market is unique at the moment. I do not think the current GPU market can be viewed as subjective. Go to any box store site...EVERY high end card is now sold out. If there is a GPU like a 1080ti available it has been bought and spiked to past MRSP in most cases. The spikes and dips are not new. This is correct. But, there are factors that are attributing market changes now that were simply not as large of an issue a year or as of a few months ago. Specifically, price scalping did not used to be such a large issue.

Bitcoin and crypto currency has exploded in value also. The last month or so there has been a much larger spike that normal and it has affected supply and demand beyond the norm. 

Storm Enforcer 2.0

12 hours ago, BensurFP said:

Don't forget about ram prices.

12 hours ago, tikker said:

Don't forget RAM prices. My 16GB kit is almost 50% more expensive now.

But yeah it's kind of a bad time I guess :/

[Edit] @BensurFP haha ninja'd me :P

My budget ram went up by 3x:

Not buying new ram until prices come way down.

Linus is my fetish.

13 hours ago, Pangea2017 said:

In country with high electricity cost you can not even be profitable with the highest efficiency. This mean stock is avaible but prices are extrem high.

Also the fact you'll probably need to register soon or later.

You know; like korea is doing.

9 hours ago, Age of 9394 said:

it 79$ ddr4 8GB(2x4gb) still a bad price?

Thats not too bad, its just almost double what it cost in 2016.

Linus is my fetish.

21 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Never forget RAM prices. I can get an i5 8400 or a Ryzen 1600 for less than I would spend on 16GB of DDR4.

Technically here in Brazil as market is right now my 2x8gb GSkill Trident Z 3200mhz costs the same as my i7 8700 which is ludicrous to think about.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Technically here in Brazil as market is right now my 2x8gb GSkill Trident Z 3200mhz costs the same as my i7 8700 which is ludicrous to think about.

Oh God.

29 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

My previous 4x8 Gb kit, or a new 2x16 Gb kit cost MORE than my new 8700k.

I sold that shit for £300.

God bless my 8 Gb of budget ram that hits the magical 3200 Mhz spot for optimal performance.

Linus is my fetish.

34 minutes ago, Bhav said:

Hehe I bought this gskill kit for literally nothing, 50 dollars in our local eBay because it had a dead stick and the other was meh... Went through international RMA with it for another 15 dollars shipping and I am getting a brand new kit next week as gskill approved the RMA.

gotta love some people's ignorance... Damn it felt good all the saving and still ending with a high end product.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

Ok, now that kind of blows.

Storm Enforcer 2.0