Ram overclocking, how to do it?

Hello, just built my new system
Ryzen 3 1300x
Biostar B350GTN
G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz 16cas
RX 580 4gb
So I boot it up and it kept crashing, eventually I figured it out, my ram was somewhat incompatible with my mobo or something and eventually I downclocked it to 2133 at 16cas and 1.20voltage. I want to try and up the overclock but I don't know the "proper" way of doing it. So far I know of only 3 variables which is timings, voltage and clockspeed. Any other things I need to overclock my ram succesfully? Is there a calculator or something to help me out with this? I tried 2666mhz on 1.35v but it kept blue screening me. Would appreciate any help.

just run the XMP profile, you will be hard pressed to see a difference with slightly faster ram.  Not worth the instability issues.  Technically the XMP profile is a one-click OC 

Just now, 88pockets said:

just run the XMP profile, you will be hard pressed to see a difference with slightly faster ram.  Not worth the instability issues.  Technically the XMP profile is a one-click OC 

XMP not stable.

You may be able to do what you are asking in your original post, but imo your best option is to get the fully supported RAM off the QVL (or whatever the RAM list is called).

I have never OCed RAM before other than selecting an XMP profile, so I don't know if there is a way to get as close as possible to 3000mhz with that specific set.  From what I've heard about OCing RAM is that it is more trouble than it is worth

Yeah, it's because you bought a BIOSTAR... lowest quality.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, 88pockets said:

You may be able to do what you are asking in your original post, but imo your best option is to get the fully supported RAM off the QVL (or whatever the RAM list is called).

I have never OCed RAM before other than selecting an XMP profile, so I don't know if there is a way to get as close as possible to 3000mhz with that specific set.  From what I've heard about OCing RAM is that it is more trouble than it is worth

It seems like it, I really wanted to buy samsung b-die ram from g.skill but they only come in 16gb sets of 2 sticks 8x2, I really wish I could buy one stick and then another some time after, $200 is too much for me right now, damn ram is expensive...

Just now, JDE said:

Yeah, it's because you bought a BIOSTAR... lowest quality.

Mobo itself is fine actually, It had a discount and honestly it's not high end system by any means...

RAM runs much better when there are two sticks for dual channel to work.  so 2x8 is good, what do you plan on using the computer for that you need 32GB of RAM.  Def go for two sticks tho.

And yeah... RAM is rediculous rn.  in my mind it should stay at $10 per 1GB tops. 

Just now, 88pockets said:

RAM runs much better when there are two sticks for dual channel to work.  so 2x8 is good, what do you plan on using the computer for that you need 32GB of RAM.  Def go for two sticks tho.

16 would be enough for me, problem is it's expensive, I plan to upgrade to 16 sometime after, that's why I bought 1stick of this 8gb to upgrade later, unfortunately I could not find a good option available in 1x8.

my ram goes to 1.45v through xmp, heard some people say 1.6 should work fine (Personally wouldn't go over 1.5 and I'd think even that's pushing it) also pretty sure overvolting ram will void warranty, not sure if there's any way to actually test if it's been overvolted though. Anyway focus on pushing the ram speed up, even if you have to raise your timings a little, ram speed has a much bigger impact on ryzen than intel cpus. Quick guide, you can probably find more in depth info with a bit of googling https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/6899/ddr4-memory-overclocking-report-beginners-guide/index3.html 

1 minute ago, 88pockets said:

it's really only an issue when you're using an igpu, with dedicated graphics it's a minor performance hit if any, and sometimes you get better performance from single channel...

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

if 2x8 is in the cards, that would be the best bet for the rig you have described above.  You can always save up for a Ryzen 5 or a new GFX card instead of more RAM.  

8GB is basically required now and 16GB is recommended. 32GB and higher is really only necessary for Video Production work. 

4 minutes ago, 88pockets said:

Doesn't really matter now...

unless you are using APU

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

Doesn't really matter now...

unless you are using APU

Good to know, I knew it wasn't 100% performance increase, but I thought it was around 30%

2 minutes ago, 88pockets said:

if 2x8 is in the cards, that would be the best bet for the rig you have described above.  You can always save up for a Ryzen 5 or a new GFX card instead of more RAM.  

8GB is basically required now and 16GB is recommended. 32GB and higher is really only necessary for Video Production work. 

I don't really need better CPU, 1300x works fine with 580, I just want more umpf from my hardware

1 minute ago, 88pockets said:

Good to know, I knew it wasn't 100% performance increase, but I thought it was around 30%

Only for APU, and at that rate it's only about 5-10%.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

for sure, push it to the max of course.  My 7700k stays at 5ghz, basically cause it can, i don't know how much performance I'm seeing day to day

1 hour ago, Ubleron said:

Hello, just built my new system
Ryzen 3 1300x
Biostar B350GTN
G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz 16cas
RX 580 4gb
So I boot it up and it kept crashing, eventually I figured it out, my ram was somewhat incompatible with my mobo or something and eventually I downclocked it to 2133 at 16cas and 1.20voltage. I want to try and up the overclock but I don't know the "proper" way of doing it. So far I know of only 3 variables which is timings, voltage and clockspeed. Any other things I need to overclock my ram succesfully? Is there a calculator or something to help me out with this? I tried 2666mhz on 1.35v but it kept blue screening me. Would appreciate any help.

Most likely your CAS timing is incorrect.

Actual latency = 2 * (CAS latency) / clock.

So CAS 16 at 3000 mhz is 10.6 ns.

However it appears your DRAM stick cant read the cells in this time.

When you downclocked to 2133mhz you increased your latency which may have given the computer more time to properly access the data and became more stable.

If you want to try 3000 mhz again, you might need to increase your CAS latency.

1 hour ago, xentropa said:

Most likely your CAS timing is incorrect.

Actual latency = 2 * (CAS latency) / clock.

So CAS 16 at 3000 mhz is 10.6 ns.

However it appears your DRAM stick cant read the cells in this time.

When you downclocked to 2133mhz you increased your latency which may have given the computer more time to properly access the data and became more stable.

If you want to try 3000 mhz again, you might need to increase your CAS latency.

Is increasing latency trial and error? Or is there a formula? By how much I should increase it? Because It seems like I got it stable at 2667 by just increasing voltage to 1.35, however I left timing at advertised levels which are 16-18-18-38

Try 16-18-18-39 also to insure your ram is stable are you running any tests like memtest86 or prime95.  Been quiet sometime since i myself have done any overclocking but when i thought i had a stable ram OC i would boot from a memtest86 from a usbkey and test stablility see if i got any errors sometimes if i get errors i would lower clocks or adjust voltage an run again the testing part can be a pia but it gives you an idea what range you can really oc too and be stable. For stability i would say 4hrs of memtest86 is plenty just watch temps

It also depends how much ram you have if its dual rank or single rank how many dimms are populated etc.

Sometimes its the dimm slots too like one ram module will work in one dimm over the other 

43 minutes ago, Ddarlington36 said:

Try 16-18-18-39 also to insure your ram is stable are you running any tests like memtest86 or prime95.  Been quiet sometime since i myself have done any overclocking but when i thought i had a stable ram OC i would boot from a memtest86 from a usbkey and test stablility see if i got any errors sometimes if i get errors i would lower clocks or adjust voltage an run again the testing part can be a pia but it gives you an idea what range you can really oc too and be stable. For stability i would say 4hrs of memtest86 is plenty just watch temps

It also depends how much ram you have if its dual rank or single rank how many dimms are populated etc.

Sometimes its the dimm slots too like one ram module will work in one dimm over the other 

Yeah I have memtest on usbflashed. 4hours? That's a lot...Well I loosened the timings to 20-20-20-40, seems like it's stable @2933mhz, and by stable I mean windows wont crash and system boots normally, however I did not test with memtest...