Nvidia launches GeForce Now beta so you can play top games on even an old laptop

IamODIN

7-gfn-key-1280x720_678x452.jpg

Want to play demanding games on your underpowered laptop or desktop PC? Then you might be interested to learn that Nvidia’s game streaming solution which allows you to do just this has opened its doors as a free beta.

Quote"techradar"

The GeForce Now service effectively gives your less-than-speedy machine – say, a laptop with integrated graphics – access to powerful GeForce GTX graphics cards via the cloud, allowing it to stream intensive games at 1080p resolution, achieving up to a highly fluid 120 fps (frames per second). And you can crank up the graphics detail settings to high, as well.

This reminds me a lot of the ps4 feature which allows users to stream ps4 games to play on their pc.. and it works, so this is awesome!

Your frame rate will depend on the exact game, with Nvidia noting that Fortnite will reach the full 120 fps, for example, while streaming PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds will hit 60 fps (although that’s still plenty smooth).

Playing battlegrounds in 60fps is like shooting yourself with an arrow to your knee. the disadvantages will absurd because some people are playin pubg on 120fps 

Quote"techradar"

There are other benefits to the system, too, as GeForce Now also handles the likes of game patches and driver updates, installing these automatically. Your saved games are stored in the cloud, meaning you can access them from different devices (perhaps running different operating systems).

Both Windows and Mac gamers can sign up for the public beta in most of North America and Europe currently, then hook up their library of games from major digital stores such as Steam and Ubisoft’s Uplay, and start playing.

When you’re given access to GeForce Now, that is – the slight downside is that at the moment, Nvidia says that there’s a waiting list to give the beta a go due to popular demand. You can sign yourself up to the list right here.

Of course, as with any streaming service, performance will be dependent on one factor: the strength of your internet connection.

I would figure...But they didn't give us info on how fast our net needs to be. but i wouldnt recommend anyone to try this with lest that 10mb download/upload.

By the way wouldnt this affect their sales in higher end gpus? bold move by nvidia

Source: http://www.techradar.com/news/nvidia-launches-geforce-now-beta-so-you-can-play-top-games-on-even-an-old-laptop

I wouldn't use it but I definitely know someone who would love that for his old 1st gen i7 laptop with a really old GTS 360M 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

It's stupid to lead with PUBG as an example yes, but for someone like me that favors single player games and RPGs big time this could be all I need (that is, if I didn't have a decent rig already)

The issue is that if you can afford a monthly fee and a very robust internet connection, you can probably put together money for a 1060 based gaming rig or something.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

It's stupid to lead with PUBG as an example yes, but for someone like me that favors single player games and RPGs big time this could be all I needed (that is, if I didn't have a decent rig already)

The issue is that if you can afford a monthly fee and a very robust internet connection, you can probably put together money for a 1060 based gaming rig or something.

you have a point 

12 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

It's stupid to lead with PUBG as an example yes, but for someone like me that favors single player games and RPGs big time this could be all I need (that is, if I didn't have a decent rig already)

The point is pubg is still horribly unoptimized, but if they were going for that, then i would use dayz or arma 3 as examples.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

Playing PUBG should not make too much of a difference if reports are correct, and the tickrate of the servers regularly drop down to 2, but are not often higher than 20, and the latency is over 100ms.

"For PC gamers in North America and Europe" says the website. *sigh* I really wanted to try this out, but oh well.

2 hours ago, alexstahp said:

it's literally just onlive all over again

Except it works.  I have been using it for a while on my Macbook and get very little lag when playing CS:GO via a wireless 5GHz connection on a 100Mbit cable line.

I'm curious to see what the pricing model ends up being, if it's a per hour fee or a monthly subscription.

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 | CPU: i7-7700K @ 4.5GHz | RAM: Corsair DDR4 16GB @ 3000MHz | Case: Fractal Define S Mid ATX | Cooler: H100iV2
Mobo: Aorus z270 Gaming 7 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma @ 400 DPI | Mousepad: Steelseries QCK+
Keyboard: CM Storm (Cherry MX Green) | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M50x | Monitor: 27" ASUS 1440p @ 59Hz

I wonder if this furthers the steps of developers one day requiring we pay for their subscription game streaming service to play a new game, removing any ownership of that game from the consumer once and for all. But I guess we're already there after Diablo 3

I've used it on my shield before this was announced.  Works well enough.

Oh man they are going to make so much off this if it succeeds.

Monthly income vs selling a gpu once every couple of years to a individual, the choice is obvious.

and the streaming service aunt cheap either from nvidea.

27 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

Oh man they are going to make so much off this if it succeeds.

Monthly income vs selling a gpu once every couple of years to a individual, the choice is obvious.

and the streaming service aunt cheap either from nvidea.

Long NVDA! xD

How is this news? Beta has been going on for a while.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

How is this news? Beta has been going on for a while.

how long is a while? show me the source of this (a while ago)

I hate Game Streaming idea and services i hope they never take off. Dont misunderstand it could be a great technology but in the hands of these fucking corporations they will ruin gaming even more.

Ideally it would have not been so bad to have a 3rd party service offering access to thousands of games like steam and at the same time offer streaming for those games or use your own PC.

With accessible prices like 25$/month for 60fps/High settings modest number of games available, and like 50-60$ for 120fpsUltra, pay more for more games.

Altough it doesnt make sense such a service just the power bill alone would be insane for nvidia the only way is to pay by the hour and i imagine that aint cheap anything above 0.5$/hour is completely unnacceptable, but hey i guess this will be very popular in Asia LAN Cafe's and places where you make 8+$/hour, this shit could take off really fast, i can already imagine phones/handheld consoles/nvidia shield etc with 5G and game streaming 60-120fps ultra PC master race quality everywhere and anywhere.

The latency is the number one problem here, even if you have bandwidth i cant see how can u stream 1080p 120fps or 2k/4k 30/60fps and have a decent latency, hell even playing on your PC and the server latency is 50-100ms unless you are close to the server.

I would imagine this service needs a complete decoupling between the input and the game stream and have the input servers optimized for fast response not troughput and the image streaming server for troughput/quality/fps.

6 minutes ago, yian88 said:

but hey i guess this will be very popular in Asia LAN Cafe's and places where you make 8+$/hour, this shit could take off really fast, i can already imagine phones/handheld consoles/nvidia shield etc with 5G and game streaming 60-120fps ultra PC master race quality everywhere and anywhere.

A (large) market segment that (for the purposes of this technology) could be sustainable and has possibly even growth potential? :x

6 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

It's not necessarily about not being able to afford a GPU. I looked into it when it was first announced at CES last year, and iirc it made sense for me to use it (although I haven't since I still have my 780) since I mostly play Dota 2 and CSGO (which I can play just fine on integrated graphics), and probably play less than 200 hours/year of demanding games. So if you worked out the costs it ended up being about the same price as buying a GPU but while keeping me with up to date performance.

5 minutes ago, IamODIN said:

Well, I've had the beta installed for about six months now and it existed for a bit before that.

On 10/13/2017 at 10:26 PM, djdwosk97 said:

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 9.25.58 PM.png

Nvidia has "launched" this beta several times now. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

7 minutes ago, IamODIN said:

Well, the Mac Beta was going on aince october of last year.

It was all anounced a year ago.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/13/nvidia-geforce-now-beta/

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 hours ago, IamODIN said:

Playing battlegrounds in 60fps is like shooting yourself with an arrow to your knee. the disadvantages will absurd because some people are playin pubg on 120fps 

Source: http://www.techradar.com/news/nvidia-launches-geforce-now-beta-so-you-can-play-top-games-on-even-an-old-laptop

I Really feel like the 120/144 hz in Pubg Isnt as crazy of an advantage. Theres so much RNG of finding the weapons right away to the Stragetey of the circle  making the best out of your shitty situations your dealt. 

I have 11 Chicken Dinners right now and only play 60hz Monitor. Yeah its a FPS but theres so much more to it.  i just feel like 99% of the time it wont matter 60 vs 120 besides it being more pleasant in this game to play. 

10 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Well, the Mac Beta was going on aince october of last year.

It was all anounced a year ago.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/13/nvidia-geforce-now-beta/

It was actually around since at least August. 

On 10/13/2017 at 10:26 PM, djdwosk97 said:

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 9.25.58 PM.png

According to the email I got, the PC (windows) geforce now just launched after the mac geforce now has been around for around six months. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

In 2017, Nvidia launched the beta for GeForce Now for Mac. Now, Nvidia is launching the Beta for GeForce Now for PC.

Pricing and availability of the final product is not known at this time.

And of course everybody tries to play PUBG on every device they can :|....

twarren_nvidia_ces_20181.0.jpg

Nvidia announced a beta for its GeForce Now game streaming service for the Mac last year, and now it’s finally coming to Windows PCs. Starting this week, beta users of the GeForce Now Mac client will be able to install and run the Windows app. This brings the beta service far beyond its roots as an exclusive to for Nvidia’s Android-based Shield devices, and more into the core Windows gaming PC audience.

I got a chance to play with an early beta of the GeForce Now service on a $400 Windows PC at CES today. My biggest concerns about game streaming services are latency and internet connections, but Nvidia had the service setup using a 50mbps connection on the Wynn hotel’s Wi-Fi. I didn’t notice a single issue, and it honestly felt like I was playing Player Unknown’s Battlegrounds directly on the cheap laptop in front of me. If I actually tried to play the game locally, it would be impossible as the game was barely rendering at all or at 2fps

This service is meant for people who don't have a Gaming Ready PC and is not for other Nvidia customers with GeForce video cards.

As a reminder it basically streams rendered frames of a game from Nvidia's datacenter containing GeForce GTX 1060 and GTX 1080 video cards to the end user so that they can play a game even if their PC is incapable of it.

It'd be nice if AMD offered a similar service and offering RX 560 for eSports, RX 580 for 1080p and Vega 56 options. I think if AMD did something like it then it would boost RTG's revenue.

Source:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/8/16865480/nvidia-geforce-now-windows-beta-app-gaming-pc-ces-2018

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Why you beta have to be closed :/ 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

On 1/8/2018 at 9:33 AM, Misanthrope said:

I Have a GTX 1080 and im intrested in this for the reason of a i have a ultrabook/ Tablet thing. thats 13 inches and had a intel processor and IGPU  would be cool to be able to go to a friends house and use it as a gaming laptop thats portable. or on vacation or at work.