Cloud based Gaming from shadow company

craftisabel

Well as the title says its cloud-based gaming. The article Here with its title suggests you can rent a PC with high end specs. They upgrade the hardware for free. Recently went from a 1070ti to a 1080ti in the graphics. Right now is mainly in France but very newly expanded to the Uk and California, with a worldwide release soon to be at late 2018. A part of the article says 

A number of high-profile disappointments, most notably the flameout of OnLive, have left gamers feeling that the idea might be an ahead-of-its-time fad, like virtual reality in the early 1990s 

To me it's not ahead of its time its just beginning of a new era. An era where someone with a low grade laptop can connect to the device and connect to the cloud so they can start their gaming career or their streaming career.

The company will also be at CES

Full length link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/1/4/16847394/shadow-cloud-gaming-pc-streaming-blade-ces-2018#ampshare=https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/4/16847394/shadow-cloud-gaming-pc-streaming-blade-ces-2018

They have a discord: shacord

I always found it bizarre that on one hand we have people that want cloud gaming to live and succeed, and on the other we have people (partly the same people that I mentioned) that don't want to have internet connection to play games. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Just now, KenjiUmino said:

a scary era if you ask me. an "everything as a service" era where you don't "own" shit and have no control over nothing. 

It could also be scary for security reasons. They promise a secure connection but a flip of a switch lights out 

Isn't this similar to what Paperspace offers?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Isn't this similar to what Paperspace offers?

Someone mentioned that in the comments of the article but I don't know much about them. In the comment they seemed to not like paper space. 

Meh, unless they partner up with a big company like Google that has servers everywhere in the world, I see this more as a local area only kind of things. Otherwise you just have massive amount of latency while playing, making it useless for any sort of games that require quick judgement.

Not to mention, they are most likely going to be bought within the first few months by a company like Microsoft in a "buy the competition and shut them down" kind of deal.

After all, who would buy a console, if they could just use their "inexpensive" crappy little box to connect to the internet and have access to games at the highest settings.

(Just like how OnLive was bought by Sony and shut down)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I'm sure all those customers in the US with data caps will just love a service like this that will probably chew through that cap in a matter of a few days.

(At 25Mb/s you'd go through a 1TB cap after about 80 to 90 hours of play time, if I did my math right)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 hours ago, KenjiUmino said:

a scary era if you ask me. an "everything as a service" era where you don't "own" shit and have no control over nothing. 

You don't in your own life if it's on FB.. so I guess the younger generation is desensitized toward this stuff. Great times.

4 hours ago, craftisabel said:

It could also be scary for security reasons. They promise a secure connection but a flip of a switch lights out 

You mean you don't trust them to protect your information? It's not like they would have the ability to exploit you for any other financial gains.

4 hours ago, ExplosiveSloths said:

I feel as if it's a fad.

GigaPets, mullets, Alf, and Dennis Rodman were fads. This... This just makes no God damned sense.

Personally I'm not interested in this cloud stuff and specially "as a service" things. Also not with my puny internet speeds and 0.5Mbps ul anyway. 

Still prefer having my own machine and no subscriptions at all. 

I know all this is in it's very early stages but those prices are a joke. You can simpy buy a high end gaming system every couple of years. Prices would need to go down much lower and still you could get a solid mid range machine as alternative. Also again internet speeds are a huge problem too. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |