"Apple Patents Curved Touch Screen And Display Tech"

TopWargamer

http://techcrunch.com/2013/12/10/apple-patents-curved-touch-screen-and-display-tech/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=fb&%3Fncid=fb

Oh my, lawsuit incoming!

Apple has received a patent for curved touchscreens and displays, according to AppleInsider, which describes a system for making curved touch sensitive glass. The method patented by Apple is designed to create a curved screen surface that remains touch sensitive without deforming or distorting the image the display would produce, and would be able to be used in displays, touch-sensitive mice (like the current Magic Mouse) touch pads and other devices.

Ok, to start, it's neat that Apple is getting onboard with the whole curved thing...I guess. (I personally don't care for curved phones.) Secondly (and this is the more important one here), they patented this technology...

2014 - Prepare for another huge lawsuit between Apple and Samsung, maybe even LG.

(Taking off the semi-professional mask for a second.)

Apple is going to waive their patent trolling dicks all over Samsung's face, even though Samsung came out with the first curved display phone, and I really hope that Apple loses this lawsuit. What lawsuit you say? Oh silly you, we all know it's coming.

COMIC SANS

Apple needs to just get OWNED!

Seriously, they need knocked down a peg.

How can they patent a display technology when they don't even manufacture the fucking displays in the first place? You know who does? Samsung and LG...You know the companies that have curved displays already.

Please, I hate patent wars but I hope LG and Samsung both file against Apple.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

If anyone actually read the article they've specifically patented convex touch panels, not concave. Apple is aware that Samsung and/or LG have prior-art on concave displays. Unfortunately the patent system allows for a differential like this to separate the patents, Samsung/LG likely already have a patent of concave touch interfaces. Nice one OP, Let the blind comments flow...

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

We need someone who from palliative care who is very close to death and see if they're willing to strap some explosives to their chest and go on into Apples Headquarters.

They're literally the biggest cancer out of every tech company in existence. 

I hope they can only sue for "legit" technology and not the "curved shape."

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

If anyone actually read the article they've specifically patented convex touch panels, not concave. Apple is aware that Samsung and/or LG have prior-art on concave displays. Unfortunately the patent system allows for a differential like this to separate the patents, Samsung/LG likely already have a patent of concave touch interfaces. Nice one OP, Let the blind comments flow...

So, they've limited 50% of the ways a phone can curve without looking ridiculous...

Now, it is only a matter of time before the Apple cult start saying "OMG, Apple totally innovated this! Everyone else is copying Apple, Apple is the best!"

ELEPHANT SEALS EVERYWHERE!

I am not condoning what Samsung and LG patented, I feel that is bullshit also.

I just think Apple doing it is not helping the problem and considering Apple's recent history with patents and legal battles, it's only natural to jump to conclusions based upon that.

The only people who will win out of this are lawyers, everybody else loses.

No what you don't understand is that at CES a few years back both Samsung AND LG showed displays curved in many different ways, both concave and convex, even twisted 180 degrees. Apple is just being Apple, IE a bunch of non innovative assholes.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I'd like a curved display magic mouse, maybe a full wrist iwatch, side wrap screen on iphone, all of those goodies.  I just don't want them to ever sue anyone about this, Samsung has had this technology for over five years now since they've first developed the flexible LCD, then the flexible digitizer.  I just hope Apple does something cool, none of this small curve bullshit...

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

No what you don't understand is that at CES a few years back both Samsung AND LG showed displays curved in many different ways, both concave and convex, even twisted 180 degrees. Apple is just being Apple, IE a bunch of non innovative assholes.

They weren't touch screen though, just flexible OLED screens, there's quite a substantial difference in terms of technology. Keep in mind Samsung will probably end up manufacturing these convex touch screens for Apple anyway,

It's still a BS patient. A convex and concave display isn't anywhere near enough of a difference to file a patient on

Most patents are BS :P This is just how the system works...

So, they've limited 50% of the ways a phone can curve without looking ridiculous...

Sure...

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

So your alright with a company doing sweet fuck all, taking credit that suing anybody else that does actual innovation. Because it's 'just how the system works'

Alright buddy

I Don't understand why you're upset. This kind of stuff happens all the time, just because it's Apple doesn't have to make it worse.

I don't care that it's apple, I actually like a few of their products.

My issue is with the fact that companies are willing to take advantage of a very flawed system to essentially put a complete stop on companies that do legitimate work and try to innovate, all based on laws that were designed to protect the people innovating.

Just standing around and saying 'this kind of stuff happens all the time' is a crap attitude and the reason why we get so many issues with patient trolls and companies bullshitting their way to the top. 

Ooooooooh I get it. Because I can't stop multi-billion dollar companies from taking advantage of a broken system means it's my fault. Guess I should feel pretty bad then. I think you'll find that their interest lies in money, not in what consumers think. Sigh... I have a distaste for it just as much as anyone. Saying 'it happens all the time' doesn't mean I'm ok with it, I'm saying it happens all the time. Like it happens a lot. Cos it does.

The blame isn't on you in particular, but on the groups of people that think that this kind of activity is okay when really all it does is stop companies providing product that they are capable of producing. Saying 'it happens all the time' instead of opposing this kind of action implies that your okay with it and that kind of mentality towards any situation isn't okay. Just sitting by and letting it happen doesn't mean you should then feel bad for it, but sitting by and then going out and commenting on it saying it's not a big deal because it's something that commonly occurs means you should feel bad for being such a narrow minded person.

Things like opposition to gay marriage, contributions to global warming and any other issue like that happens all the time happens all the time, that doesn't make those actions then suddenly a good thing to be okay with and people that have a narrow minded view such as yours is what makes those issues then okay. 

Oh boy, I'm not ok with it. I'm really not, but just like you, I'm not writing letters to companies or getting a law degree or trying to build a career as a politician so I can change the world. Originally I meant, 'this happens all the time' as in, 'lot's of companies do this'. I'm on your side, so stop arguing for the sake of arguing.

I wasn't arguing for the sake of arguing, but your original comment implies that you were okay with it, and that's something that's worth arguing against. Because saying something is okay because it's common like you did is effectively saying it's okay, which does nothing to oppose it at all.

If your against companies abusing a broken system then that's a good thing, but going around and saying 'I don't care because it always happens' shows no opposition to it isn't okay. I'm just trying to put that point across to you

I

didn't

say

that

I

agree

with

you

100%

stop

this

drivel

Ooooooooh I get it. Because I can't stop multi-billion dollar companies from taking advantage of a broken system means it's my fault. Guess I should feel pretty bad then. I think you'll find that their interest lies in money, not in what consumers think. Sigh... I have a distaste for it just as much as anyone. Saying 'it happens all the time' doesn't mean I'm ok with it, I'm saying it happens all the time. Like it happens a lot. Cos it does.

Just because it happens a lot doesn't make it right. We should actively try to stop things like this from happening. I don't care if it happens often, it's stupid that companies can just abuse the terrible patent system in America like this.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

I hate that they would swoop in and just take this technology, knowing other companies have already put it to use. I hope they get sued by both samsung and LG. The reason im really concerned is that apple may have just postponed my relationship with my future bendable phone

Just because it happens a lot doesn't make it right. We should actively try to stop things like this from happening. I don't care if it happens often, it's stupid that companies can just abuse the terrible patent system in America like this.

Did you read any of my other comments in this thread?

There's a part of me that hopes LG and Samsung both file law suits against apple and apple loses horribly, this I'd what apple has become after Steve jobs,makes me want to punch a wall :\

Given they are slowely loosing market ground I would say they are just preparing for the next major change consumer trends.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Is the patent system a joke? Yes! The patent system needs be overhauled, and vague concepts of ideas should never be patentable.

Is Apple a bad guy for filing a patent? No. Given the current business climate it is stupid not to.

Should Apple sue companies for violating their patents? Maybe. If the patent is a real patent, one being of substance, and it gives them a competitive advantage, then yes, they should. Thats the whole point in the patent process. Unfortunately this system is abused by all participants, especially the large companies, not just Apple. A large part of this is to protect themselves from being sued by other companies, or to use it in trade with others as part of licensing agreements. Apple has been a bit ridiculous with their lawsuits and have deserved much of their reputation, but they are not the only ones doing this.