Luke leaving LMG?

RollTime

Feel free to laugh at me here. I watched the most recent WAN show, and saw the bit about Luke Lafreniere leaving LMG. I had no idea about this, and I'm really confused. Can anyone explain to clueless me the whole story behind this?

it's time

I don´t know. My latest information was that he was working fulltime on float plane

2 minutes ago, RollTime said:

Feel free to laugh at me here. I watched the most recent WAN show, and saw the bit about Luke Lafreniere leaving LMG. I had no idea about this, and I'm really confused. Can anyone explain to clueless me the whole story behind this?

His fish is sick, so he's leaving work to take move into an underwater fish hospital in the tropics until it recovers.

technically he works for floatplane on Jan 1st, and will work in the same building till floatplane is making enough money to need an actual separate  space, but he will still do wan, vids, and just help around as a guest because paying him part time and benefits is too janky because it will be different every week like 20 hours dome weeks and like 3 hours other weeks.

So basiclly everything he does know will be he same just a different company is paying him and Linus is still his boss.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

8 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

technically he works for floatplane on Jan 1st, and will work in the same building till floatplane is making enough money to need an actual separate  space, but he will still do wan, vids, and just help around as a guest because paying him part time and benefits is too janky because it will be different every week like 20 hours dome weeks and like 3 hours other weeks.

So basiclly everything he does know will be he same just a different company is paying him and Linus is still his boss.

Nope, they said in the WAN show since LTT and FP are different company’s they legally can’t work under the same roof unless it’s like a collab that was documant and has a contract for. So luke is quitting ltt and moving to the new FP studio (he has to quit for legality reasons) that I’m pretty sure they said they were getting or maybe they just said they had to get a new place for FP.

he still gets paid and all that as LTT right now but on the new year he will be all FP and no LTT but my guess is you’ll still him on LTT as most of the FP stuff is desk work rn

8 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

His fish is sick, so he's leaving work to take move into an underwater fish hospital in the tropics until it recovers.

It's a very serious matter.

FWFS - better known as Fish Water Filtration Syndrome - is a dangerous affliction where a fish is unable to separate oxygen from water. It affects nearly one in ten fish.

A fish you know could be at risk.

Get screened now.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

It's a very serious matter.

FWFS - better known as Fish Water Filtration Syndrome - is a dangerous affliction where a fish is unable to separate oxygen from water. It affects nearly one in ten fish.

A fish you know could be at risk.

Get screened now.

Please donate to Luke's GoFishMe if you can! :o

6 minutes ago, CryptoMatt said:

Nope, they said in the WAN show since LTT and FP are different company’s they legally can’t work under the same roof unless it’s like a collab that was documant and has a contract for. So luke is quitting ltt and moving to the new FP studio (he has to quit for legality reasons) that I’m pretty sure they said they were getting or maybe they just said they had to get a new place for FP.

he still gets paid and all that as LTT right now but on the new year he will be all FP and no LTT but my guess is you’ll still him on LTT as most of the FP stuff is desk work rn

there taping off his office till FP is big enough to get its own, next they said he was still going to be on wan, event coverage, some vids, and his old job of data security of the forum.  All executive decisions are linus job, he still owns FP Luke manges the team, does security for FP and LTT and I believe some coding. They said he isn't working part time LTT because It would be weird with the amount his schedule would change every week. So he would be working all those afor mentioned things as a guest in simple terms. 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

3 hours ago, CryptoMatt said:

(he has to quit for legality reasons)

This is why Linus is a bad owner... he's made it so it sounds like Luke has to quite. He does not have to quit if he quits then he should not be going to Floatplane as it is also owned by Linus. Simple explanation is due to how the record of employment is set up in Canada.

information_img2.jpg

in section 16 is where you put a Code.

The Codes are:

A - Shortage of work
B - Strike or lockout
C - Return to school
D - Illness or injury
E - Quit
F - Maternity
G - Retirement
H - Work-Sharing
J - Apprentice training
M - Dismissal
N - Leave of absence
P - Parental
Z - Compassionate care/Family Caregiver
K - Other

While E on the website does include finding a new job, he didn't really find this job, it was given by Linus who then decided to convert his payroll over to his other company segregating the companies into 2 different entities. This is why I don't think E should show up on his ROE but K, as it is more like a "forced" transfer to another company owned by Linus. Forced as is in if Luke said no to quitting (transfer of pay from one company to another) Linus would of had to fire him then rehired him as a Floatplane employee. On the site is says "change in payroll/ownership or company name", while LMG is not changing names technically it is a change in payroll, while a different company it is ultimately still Linus who is paying him. The best answer to put is K with "Transferred/Promoted to Floatplane as COO".

By saying he quits and the government looks into it they could get audited, why? Because they just put a person who quit from LMG as a COO for Floatplane, with section K no one has to quit, no one has to pay out severance and no issues with anything with insurance. At one of my last workplaces there was talks about sending me to a different workplace owned by the same person, they decided not too due to the confusion of the paperwork and they couldn't afford in losing me :P

Edit (this line only): Also i would like to point out no one can legally force someone to quit by any means in canada, even joking about it on the WAN show could get Linus fined. Remember the Gov just doesn't care. They don't. Regardless if the pay is better with the other company one still can't force it. Imagine if Luke had a Mortgage or personal debt (like a credit card, like has one or the other), he might have to report the change to them and because the word quit was used with such a new company as FP they could request stupid things. Once again no one cares what the intentions are of Linus.

3 hours ago, CryptoMatt said:

FP studio that I’m pretty sure they said they were getting or maybe they just said they had to get a new place for FP.

The goal is to move out of the LMG warehouse/office. They will still be in the same building for a while, likely another year or 2.

2 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

there taping off his office till FP is big enough to get its own, next they said he was still going to be on wan, event coverage, some vids, and his old job of data security of the forum.  All executive decisions are linus job, he still owns FP Luke manges the team, does security for FP and LTT and I believe some coding. They said he isn't working part time LTT because It would be weird with the amount his schedule would change every week. So he would be working all those afor mentioned things as a guest in simple terms. 

This will pose issues in canada as now Luke will be (on monday) an FP employee, the second he touches LMG stuff he has to be either contracted out "personally" and not paid by FP OR contracted out by FP to LMG where LMG pays FP for Lukes time. If they don't do one of these things or have a contract in place stating Luke has to show up upon called and will be paid accordingly (aka he can't quit then w/o a very complex contract upon leaving), it could quickly become a labour/legal issue. This is simply because one could assume he is taking money from FP and using said time/funds for other stuff to profit another company, this company is LMG, the gov doesn't care if both are owned by Linus, they care about the fact this will or has happened.

Simply put once Luke does work for LMG on FP time he will be doing basically this w/o writing stated otherwise. Linus should address this to us as well to ensure no further confusion happens. Because the last thing Linus (or anyone) wants is the gov poking around slowing down work.

14 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

while a different company it is ultimately still Linus who is paying him.

I'm pretty certain that LMG itself is incorporated specifically to ensure that Linus is not the one who is paying anyone 'ultimately'.  It's kinda one of the core points behind incorporating a business, it's to isolate the business from the owners and ensure the business can't take the owner's house and any other assets along with it if it tanks.

And for the some reason this is pretty obvious as to why Float Plane is incorporated separately from LMG; So that if things go sour with Float Plane, it can't take LMG down with it.

6 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I'm pretty certain that LMG itself is incorporated specifically to ensure that Linus is not the one who is paying anyone 'ultimately'.  It's kinda one of the core points behind incorporating a business, it's to isolate the business from the owners and ensure the business can't take the owner's house and any other assets along with it if it tanks.

And for the some reason this is pretty obvious as to why Float Plane is incorporated separately from LMG; So that if things go sour with Float Plane, it can't take LMG down with it.

I mentioned something along those lines in another post, my point is linus is sole owner so while he personally doesn't pay from his own personal pocket, he likely is the one to sign off on the stubs ;) All companies i worked for (even one with stockholders/investors i forget which) always had the "CEO/COO/Owner's/whoever is assigned to it" signature on them or a digital copy of it.

Also being incorporated doesn't make you immune from liability. There are cases where one has to personally sign stuff due to risk etc and the bank/lender wants a guarantee on return or at least a potential of.

So yes Linus doesn't pay directly but he still pays by being the owner of both companies, w/o him or someone he appoints to it no one gets paid :P Even direct deposits need to be signed off from a holder or one appointed to such task (usually not the same person cutting them for obvious reasons).

2 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

I mentioned something along those lines in another post, my point is linus is sole owner so while he personally doesn't pay from his own personal pocket, he likely is the one to sign off on the stubs ;) All companies i worked for (even one with stockholders/investors i forget which) always had the "CEO/COO/Owner's/whoever is assigned to it" signature on them or a digital copy of it.

Also being incorporated doesn't make you immune from liability. There are cases where one has to personally sign stuff due to risk etc and the bank/lender wants a guarantee on return or at least a potential of.

So yes Linus doesn't pay directly but he still pays by being the owner of both companies, w/o him or someone he appoints to it no one gets paid :P Even direct deposits need to be signed off from a holder or one appointed to such task (usually not the same person cutting them for obvious reasons).

None of this makes them both effectively the same company for employment purposes.  But by all means, continue prattling on.

8 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

None of this makes them both effectively the same company for employment purposes.  But by all means, continue prattling on.

Your right, but like i said forcing someone to quit is illegal even if it benefits them or even joking about it, because Linus is the owner of both companies he should be able to get away with K in the ROE. If not he has to dismiss, pay severance(maybe not if a suitable case is given, but this idk) and rehire Luke as an FP employee. K is imo the more legal way of putting things w/o getting into trouble as he's not quitting/being fired he is being promoted to another company Linus owns, knowingly and by Linus himself.

Also by putting quit on the ROE if FP fails within the year and Linus doesn't let Luke back into LMG he might not get full Employment insurance as by quitting you possibly remove your rights to EI for the whole time of employment there. Basically how they have made it sound if (which it likely won't) FP fails, it ultimately screws Luke if it happens before 2019.

How transfering people between companies being a single owner of them all (incorporated or not) works like a temp agency just more dirty in paperwork. Basically lets say Linus owns 5 companies and wants to troll luke for S&G's. Linus could transfer Luke from company A to company B w/o quitting severance etc and to other companies for 6 months with 2 week intervals. even if the gov wants linus to use M with a reason (which he could legally for the other movements), the reason is still the same "moving to company x". But not once did/would Luke have to quit.

12 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

A lot of assumptions being made. 

We're fine. 

Everything is fine. 

Appreciate your concern tho! 

Even Luke brought up what i did on how what if he doesn't quit. That is why imo K can be used in these situations to avoid the word "quitting". If I'm wrong I'm wrong, I'm sure you sought legal advice on this or i hope you did... Because joking around with the word quit is not something one should do, even tho i did find it funny how you did it (still do).

Actually 25:30 sounds like K material, just saying. I don't mean to make assumptions, I know FP is doing well else you likely would of held off this move etc. It's just how you presented it in last weeks WAN show that has gotten people confused. You also reinforced it with your image and in the video with Luke stating "forced to quit" in this weeks WAN show.

Like I said above, if I'm wrong about the employment part that's fine because i know there's a million loopholes or possibly something i missed, but I still think you went with the matter completely wrong and should of stuck with the facts which are:

Luke is becoming the COO of FP starting Jan 1 2018, which means he is being paid by FP and no longer LMG.

FP is renting a part of the building

FP will eventually (planned) move into its own dedicated building

Luke will still be on the WAN show

etc.

Avoiding the words quit fired etc.

Actually one thing puzzles me now that i think of it, you stated this week about conflict of interest, yet Luke will still be permitted to work around LMG, would that not be hypocrisy?

6 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Even Luke brought up what i did on how what if he doesn't quit. That is why imo K can be used in these situations to avoid the word "quitting". If I'm wrong I'm wrong, I'm sure you sought legal advice on this or i hope you did... Because joking around with the word quit is not something one should do, even tho i did find it funny how you did it (still do).

Actually 25:30 sounds like K material, just saying. I don't mean to make assumptions, I know FP is doing well else you likely would of held off this move etc. It's just how you presented it in last weeks WAN show that has gotten people confused. You also reinforced it with your image and in the video with Luke stating "forced to quit" in this weeks WAN show.

Like I said above, if I'm wrong about the employment part that's fine because i know there's a million loopholes or possibly something i missed, but I still think you went with the matter completely wrong and should of stuck with the facts which are:

Luke is becoming the COO of FP starting Jan 1 2018, which means he is being paid by FP and no longer LMG.

FP is renting a part of the building

FP will eventually (planned) move into its own dedicated building

Luke will still be on the WAN show

etc.

Avoiding the words quit fired etc.

Actually one thing puzzles me now that i think of it, you stated this week about conflict of interest, yet Luke will still be permitted to work around LMG, would that not be hypocrisy?

I understand the point you're trying to get across, but why don't we let Linus handle this? You don't know the behind the scene details.

I think it's safe to assume that Linus, et al, thoroughly looked into the legalities of it, and probably even had a lawyer involved, since it's for the new FPM company.

EDIT: This is one of the reasons why I think Linus should have just kept these kinds of details to himself. It's none of our business whether Luke is employed by LMG or FPM. And some people think they know the laws or the industry, etc. Maybe they do, but unless they have access to the legal records, HR files, business documents, etc, it's all just assumptions and guesswork.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I understand the point you're trying to get across, but why don't we let Linus handle this? You don't know the behind the scene details.

I think it's safe to assume that Linus, et al, thoroughly looked into the legalities of it, and probably even had a lawyer involved, since it's for the new FPM company.

EDIT: This is one of the reasons why I think Linus should have just kept these kinds of details to himself. It's none of our business whether Luke is employed by LMG or FPM. And some people think they know the laws or the industry, etc. Maybe they do, but unless they have access to the legal records, HR files, business documents, etc, it's all just assumptions and guesswork.

I was actually forced to look into employment standards... Not for educational reasons either, so i only know what i needed, which is still quite a bit thanks to one employer, but it only usually takes one.

But i do agree with what your edit says. Sometimes less is more, this is one of those times.

I think the biggest issue is it came from a unscripted live show. No time to think really, and things "just happened". All anyone can do is learn from their mistakes and move on.

24 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

I was actually forced to look into employment standards... Not for educational reasons either, so i only know what i needed, which is still quite a bit thanks to one employer, but it only usually takes one.

But i do agree with what your edit says. Sometimes less is more, this is one of those times.

I think the biggest issue is it came from a unscripted live show. No time to think really, and things "just happened". All anyone can do is learn from their mistakes and move on.

Indeed, they often talk about what's on their minds, and sometimes there's not someone there to say "Wellll maybe you shouldn't talk about that".

In this case, it's pretty harmless until people start speculating about things in a negative manner.

3 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Floatplane is still having issues, wow!

I mean, it is in Alpha.

Normally something like this would be in private development for 2-3 years before anyone even catches a glimpse of it.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

I mean, it is in Alpha.

Normally something like this would be in private development for 2-3 years before anyone even catches a glimpse of it.

Must be worth it!

2 hours ago, LinusTech said:

A lot of assumptions being made. 

We're fine. 

Everything is fine. 

Appreciate your concern tho! 

Really love what you’re doing with Floatplane Media. I fully support it.

(without comment on hiring decisions, etc., I like the idea behind it)

it's time

14 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Indeed, they often talk about what's on their minds, and sometimes there's not someone there to say "Wellll maybe you shouldn't talk about that".

In this case, it's pretty harmless until people start speculating about things in a negative manner.

What needs to happen is someone with duct tape who's not afraid of using it when they get into subjects as such. :ph34r:

Also there's no such thing as harmless when it comes to someone's job, well most of the time anyways, because Luke could be the only reason some stick around or could be the parting point of some. Bixbe is a great example of something "harmless" which forced Linus to do a live stream video. Video seemed logical, but seemed to have blown out of proportion faster than anything Trump said during his campaign run.

The best solution is still the silent one as you pointed out, people already knew and understood Luke was working on FP for about a year now, all they needed to do was make it official. Nothing about job status really had to be announced or at least the negative words, hell the announcement of Luke's departure/transfer from LMG to FP could of been held off till after the fact some point in 2018, likely removing 99% of all issues.

20 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Must be worth it!

The benefits are early access to videos, plus the ability to download them. For me tho it's not worth it due to "microtransactions" more than the price, if they offered a 12 month subscription or even 6 I would do it even if it's normal price. Right now having another knick-knack going threw my account on a monthly basis is not appealing and likely will never be, because 99.9% of my transactions are threw my bank card. Maybe when they get the credit card function or out of Alpha they might bring packages back.

I wasnt saying benefit for users, benefit for all the money Linus is spending on it.

57 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

The benefits

7 hours ago, CryptoMatt said:

NO NO NO , Linus is "leasing" (theyre just putting tape on the floor for now) space from LMG to Floatplane Media. They are both owned by Linus. Linus will act as the COO of floatplane and luke will be the Ceo