EVGA RMA - they sent better replacement, do I tell them?

SenorKiwi

Hi guys,

I had a 650W G2 gold, and then the replacement they sent was 850W G3 Gold.

Should I tell them the mistake or just keep it? lol 

13 minutes ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

Hi guys,

I'd probably not bother them about it. They may have done that on purpose, they may not, but telling their RMA department is probably a waste of both EVGA's time and yours as mailing the unit back would just equate to more time and money.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

I'd probably not bother them about it. They may have done that on purpose, they may not, but telling their RMA department is probably a waste of both EVGA's time and yours as mailing the unit back would just equate to more time and money.

yea I was also thinking since it was Christmas they might have ran out of stock of 650W if it was in high demand or something 

3 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

By the way is the G3 better than G2 that I previous had or is that a downgrade? I honestly have no idea about this kind of stuff 

1 minute ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

By the way is the G3 better than G2 that I previous had or is that a downgrade? I honestly have no idea about this kind of stuff 

It's slightly better in every way except for noise. It's not better to a degree that matters at all though.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

4 hours ago, TheKiwiColonel said:

Hi guys,

Its entirely possible that that was the next best thing they had lying around.

RMA does that sometimes if they don't have other stuff...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

It's fine, they usually give you a serial number, and paperwork on the RMA form (if any) to show its changed serial number for another RMA if that ones goes bad.

I got a 290x from a 3rd 290 RMA.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

They are know for making you more than whole. 

If they just replace it, you would think they are an OK company, but you did have to deal with the RMA, so would you recommend them? Maybe or maybe not. 

They give you a free upgrade for your inconvenience & you will be loyal, singing their praises. 

I know I have. 

It's quiet common for manufacture to replace their product with the same or better product. In my case it's Corsair. They replaced my H60 with H80, but I have to wait for about a week and they just tell me they're out of stock and replaced it with a better one.

CPU i5 6600K (4.4GHz @1.25V) | GPU MSI GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X (2126/4504) | RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 2666MHz (3000MHz) | BOARD MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon | SSD Samsung 850 evo 250GB | HDD 2 Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU Corsair CX750M | CASE Corsair Spec-Alpha | COOLING Deepcool Captain 240EX RGB |

As a rule of thumb (law in some places) you either get an item with the same performance/qualities or a better one. They likely did it on purpose.

53 minutes ago, pzspah said:

As a rule of thumb (law in some places) you either get an item with the same performance/qualities or a better one. They likely did it on purpose.

Naa, I wouldn't say that.

I'd rather say that they had no choice because the RMA Office had no stock of a 650W G2 or G3 and also not the 750W.

That's why they send out the 850W.

And depending on the company, it depends if they have acces to the normal inventory or if they have a seperate RMA inventory. Only EVGA people know that...

You do that for example with returned but good units. And there can be an instruction to first use those before accessing the normal inventory. Or it also might be possible that the RMA devision can't access the normal inventory that is also a possibility.

Either way, the RMA office wasn't able to send out a lower wattage one more similar to what he had so that's why he got an 850W.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I wouldn't mind if G.Skill sends me better memory with my RMA lol... I still feel they will not send me any thing... never RMA before... add international shipping to the equation and it is really all could go wrong scenario :/

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

They likely did not have stock of the PSU you sent back. In that situation they send one better. One of my ultrawides died and LG send a brand new model in its place because they did not have stock on my monitor. Kind of sucked for me since the screen didn't match, but they didn't send something worse, lol.

On 12/30/2017 at 2:29 PM, TheKiwiColonel said:

Hi guys,

This is not the first time I've heard of EVGA giving people a "free upgrade" so to speak to a newer equivalent product, mos likely due to as others have stated product availability and just having it on hand. I would say it was most likely on purpose. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25