"20 Year-Old Designs A Better Windows Than Microsoft"

TopWargamer

So its just a different start menu.

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

So it replaces the metro ui with this?

Watch the YouTube video and you'll see.

COMIC SANS

repost: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/87786-how-windows-8-should-have-looked/

and i posted it about 6 hours ago in general but got moved to OS and software though this is a much better layout anyways i think a merge is good 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Can I download this now? I mean right now....

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

This is infinitely better, he should be hired immediately because this I might actually use. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: GA-H61N-USB3 | RAM: Corsair 8GB 1333 MHz Video CardEVGA GTX 660 Superclocked 2GB DDR5

Power Supply: Corsair CX 430 | SSD: Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: 2X Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm | Monitor Asus PB238Q & Asus PB278Q

Mouse: Lenovo N50 | Keyboard: Apple Pro Keyboard | Operating Systems: Hackintosh OS X 10.8.5 & Windows 8.1

Wow, that's amazing. I would literally update ALL my computers to that if Windows 8 looked like that.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

This is not good.
While it looks nice and impressive at first, it has many flaws:
#1 - I already done the prototype side bar Start Menu, and people thought it was stupid. So clearly, people want the Start Menu and nothing else.
#2 - As expressed on my prototype, much like you can see on the one above, you have less items being displayed than the Start Menu. The Start Screen works as it's full screen
#3 - Take too much time. I am not watching a movie, I am using a system.
#4 - The bottom highlight on the Task bar is wasted space. It means that your working area is less for nothing. Some people do more than Facebooking.
#5 - The Start Screen switch is too slow. It looks like modes to switch in between. If someone switch by accident, then what the heck happened? Where is the desktop? Where is anything? How do I get back? Or the reverse hold true. Why should I switch. I want desktop and modern ui apps full screen.
#6 - It goes against Metro UI language in many levels. Metro UI design is supposed to be flat and simple. Here we have glass effect, mixed with margins on the sides and around panels.

Interesting idea, but a fail.
People current reactions are the same in Windows 8 during development and early screen shots. People were impressed and excited. It came out, it's seen as different, and hated, until 3 years later, where the next Windows comes out, where that one will be hated, and start saying how the previous version of Windows was so much better. And people forget. Much like Windows 7 right now. It was hated and bashed, for the new task bar and "new" Start Menu. OEMs even started to include alternate Task Bars with their system, much like Windows 8 a moment ago, now it looks like they stopped, as more and more people like the Start Screen. There is no denying about that.

Looks damn nice, now they just need to fix won 8 so it can use all the applications win 7 can.

Which can't work in Win8 that work in 7? All my programs work fine, except for the Win7 Minesweeper but a crack fixed that.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

current reactions are the same in Windows 8 during development and early screen shots. People were impressed and excited. It came out, it's seen as different, and hated, until 3 years later, where the next Windows comes out, where that one will be hated, and start saying how the previous version of Windows was so much better. And people forget. Much like Windows 7 right now. It was hated and bashed, for the new task bar and "new" Start Menu. OEMs even started to include alternate Task Bars with their system, much like Windows 8 a moment ago, now it looks like they stopped, as more and more people like the Start Screen. There is no denying about that.

the way I remember it people liked windows 7. Was seen as an improvement over vista. Don't think it generated anywhere the same backlash as 8.

I think that is a pretty sweet mod to make the windows 8 experience more appealing to general users migrating from 7 and other generations.

Core - EVGA Classified 3 | i7 980x | 12GB Corsair Dominator GT | Lian Li P80 | Corsair 128 Neutron GTX | 2 x WD 500gb Velociraptor | Asus Xonar Xense | 2 x EVGA 590 | Enermax Platimax 1500

Water Cooling - Alphacool NexXxos 360 Monsta | TFC 360 | Alphacool D5 Vario | Alphacool 250 Tube res | EK Supreme HF Nickle Plexi | 2 x EK Nickle Plexi 590 WB | Aquaero 5 XT

This is not good.

While it looks nice and impressive at first, it has many flaws:

#1 - I already done the prototype side bar Start Menu, and people thought it was stupid. So clearly, people want the Start Menu and nothing else.

#2 - As expressed on my prototype, much like you can see on the one above, you have less items being displayed than the Start Menu. The Start Screen works as it's full screen

#3 - Take too much time. I am not watching a movie, I am using a system. That is one of the reasons why I don't like MacOS X.

#4 - The bottom highlight on the Task bar is wasted space. It means that your working area is less for nothing. Some people do more than Facebooking.

#5 - The Start Screen switch is too slow. It looks like modes to switch in between. If someone switch by accident, then what the heck happened? Where is the desktop? Where is anything? How do I get back? Or the reverse hold true. Why should I switch. I want desktop and modern ui apps full screen.

#6 - It goes against Metro UI language in many levels. Metro UI deisgn is supposed to be flat and simple. Here we have glass effect, mixed with holes on the sides and around panels.

Interesting idea, but a fail.

People current reactions are the same in Windows 8 during development and early screen shots. People were impressed and excited. It came out, it's seen as different, and hated, until 3 years later, where the next Windows comes out, where that one will be hated, and start saying how the previous version of Windows was so much better. And people forget. Much like Windows 7 right now. It was hated and bashed, for the new task bar and "new" Start Menu. OEMs even started to include alternate Task Bars with their system, much like Windows 8 a moment ago, now it looks like they stopped, as more and more people like the Start Screen. There is no denying about that.

though Windows 7 was universally loved because Vista was legitimately horrible, I don't know of a single person who disliked Windows 7. Most people still hate the start screen with Windows 8...I don't know how anyone can't notice that. Windows 8.1 is out...people hate it more than they did 8 because it's screwing up their wireless and bricking some users pc's upon installation but they still love 7. The UI is bad across the board, it's confusing and unintuitive with Windows 8.X and it's not just the power users that are complaining. Turns out the average user absolutely hates it too. So what does Microsoft do? Give people more shit that they hate instead of listening.

I understand what Microsoft was trying too accomplish...but not everyone has a tablet or a touchscreen pc. Microsoft could learn a lesson from this guy, but their focus is on making fun of Google instead of delivering a good user experience.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

[tinfoilhat]

They hired this guy to debut their planned changes for windows 8.2 if the reception is warm and people love it they will hire him and "adapt" his changes into windows 8.2 and none of us would be the wiser 

[/tinfoilhat]

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

I agree wight he transitions taking to long. Its a great tech demo, but it would have to be much snappier. I do like the start button and homescreen concept. I think that would fit nicely on a desktop computer environment. I am still not sure what need there is for a desktop on a tablet, its more than a little redundant. Heck the deskstop is just a glorified folder window. The design may be imperfect, but I think it is a good start.

fk me that's brilliant

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299