Now it's official: "Gaming Disorder" is a mental condition according to WHO

captain_to_fire

addiction to video games?  

351 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you play video games in a week? (poll is private)

• Never
    • 1-2 hours
    • 2-6 hours
    • 7-10 hours
    • 11-14 hours
    • 15-18
    • 19-24 hours
    • < 24 hours
  2. 2. Do you classify yourself as an addict to video games?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe (state in the comments)
  3. 3. Do you think tech reviewers and tech companies (AMD, Intel, NVIDIA, etc) are fueling gaming addiction?

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, tjcater said:

Gee, I spend more time on this forum in 2 days than I game in a week. Is forum haunting disorder going to be next?

I realize that when topics like these a lot of people's poor reading comprehension skills become apparent so I'm going to quote this part in large font for everybody:

The behaviour pattern is of sufficient severity to result in significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning.

Has everyone read that?  The discussion of video game addiction is not 'X Hours Of Gaming = Addiction' it's that 'Focusing on gaming to the determent of other necessary aspects of life and normal function are neglected'.  Playing a game for 10hrs on your day off addiction?  No.  Is playing a game for 10hrs while skipping work, your boss already said that if you miss work yet again you're fired, and you already missed enough days of wages that you can't make rent this month, BUT FUCK IT, YOUR WINNING THIS NEXT ROUND OF PUBG AND THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS!'?  That is addiction.  It's when the compulsion is so strong that it overrides rational actions like going to work or school of family/special obligations, getting out long enough to even pick up groceries, focusing funds on gaming that should be earmarked for things like rent or food or other expenses and things like that.  It's definitely not about you setting out to finish a whole JRPG on a Sunday where you had nothing else scheduled to do and this is just how you're spending your leisure time.

Anyone care to make a LTT Gaming Rehab Facility?

Use of an old netbook can discourage any form of modern gaming. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Wow I was one of the only people to say "yes" to having a gaming addiction? 

I legit cannot stand being bored I need games. If I can't play a video game I'm looking for card games, board games or more casual sport games. 

Though I don't call it a PC game addiction, more like a "being entertained" addiction or phobia of being bored.

7 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Anyone care to make a LTT Gaming Rehab Facility?

Use of an old netbook can discourage any form of modern gaming. 

What kind of netbook are we talking about? I'm tempted to say challenge accepted.

7 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

What kind of netbook are we talking about? I'm tempted to say challenge accepted.

Anything from the old Intel Atom days with a GMA 950 for graphics...

My eyes see the past…

19 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I'm sure I can play emulators on it.

Shovel Knight

Roller coaster tycoon deluxe

Bit Blaster XL

Stardew Valley

Old school Runescape?

Halo CE?

Minecraft?

I became addicted when I found a racing MMO during my first years in college. Played like 8 hours a day/48 hours a week. Roommates said something about it to me also. 

Learned my lesson now I barely play 4 hours a week.

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

I do play a lot, but its because I have nothing else to do. But I'm not so addicted to the point where I'd rather game than eat or something... I mean ya I'll finish the thing im on but never avoid doing something else just to game

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

1 hour ago, Okjoek said:

I'm sure I can play emulators on it.

Shovel Knight

Roller coaster tycoon deluxe

Bit Blaster XL

Stardew Valley

Old school Runescape?

Halo CE?

Minecraft?

I've an old desktop with a 2.1 GHz Athlon XP and some VIA Unichrome graphics. You can play Warcraft 3 on there on the lowest settings and a 640 x 480 resolution, and still get frame drops below 20 fps. I think the GMA 950 is considerably faster.

There was an old 2d Civilization game (don't remember which one) that I tried that ran like absolute poo (maybe 4-6 fps). This was before I knew much about framerate, so I just thought it was the game and returned it the next day.

My eyes see the past…

When i first got a PC in 2010 i started playing games. I had really bad PC i3 540 with it's iGPU. I struggled playing games. Then i bought stronger PC second hand i7 3770 + GTX 660 (then exchanged this card 1:1 for HD 7970) played many many games for 2 years. I had even game servers on my PC. Then i got deep into programming and linux. I sold my pc, bought laptop, installed linux on it and just stopped gaming. Suddenly i could do so much more things in one day. When i was gaming time flew so much faster.

Now i enjoy playing around arduino, raspberry and their sensors on my free time, sometime i watch movies and other time i work on my laptop. I do not need games anymore. They are just a waist of precise time.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

2 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Has everyone read that?  The discussion of video game addiction is not 'X Hours Of Gaming = Addiction' it's that 'Focusing on gaming to the determent of other necessary aspects of life and normal function are neglected'.  Playing a game for 10hrs on your day off addiction?  No.  Is playing a game for 10hrs while skipping work, your boss already said that if you miss work yet again you're fired, and you already missed enough days of wages that you can't make rent this month, BUT FUCK IT, YOUR WINNING THIS NEXT ROUND OF PUBG AND THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS!'?  That is addiction.  It's when the compulsion is so strong that it overrides rational actions like going to work or school of family/special obligations, getting out long enough to even pick up groceries, focusing funds on gaming that should be earmarked for things like rent or food or other expenses and things like that.  It's definitely not about you setting out to finish a whole JRPG on a Sunday where you had nothing else scheduled to do and this is just how you're spending your leisure time.

Thanks for explaining that sentence because I had no idea what it meant.

My English skills are quite limited when it comes to complex and big words. :(

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

I failed 7th grade cause all I did was play LoL...

thank god the game got too shitty to enjoy, season 3-5 were the golden ages

2 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Been there, done that.  I used to play WoW on an Atom N270 with Intel 945 graphics netbook when away from home (I still have and occasionally use that netbook, actually). 

Granted, with 3-5FPS in Tirisfal Glades raiding never was an option, but it's good enough for doing some AH business or sorting out your characters' bags, bank slots and professions.

I'm in the same boat as @Misanthrope there is no reason to classify this as a different disorder than simply addictive personality disorder unless they have an agenda, and organizations such as these always have an agenda.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

7 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

Going a bit far aren't you WHO? I don't class this as a disorder more of bad parenting if your kid is on his computer, w/e 24/7 then it should be the parent's responsibility to find a good enough response to the problem. There's bigger problems in the world to focus on instead of targeting the gamers. 

The WHO always go to the extreme, being a highly politicized field (medicine and intentional criticism of whole countries/companies) they can't afford to be lean.  In reality though all this means is they are serious but you have to be realistic with what it actually means case by case.

7 hours ago, tjcater said:

Gee, I spend more time on this forum in 2 days than I game in a week. Is forum haunting disorder going to be next?

If your social/family/work life is effected negatively by it then yes,  yes it is a disorder.

4 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

I realize that when topics like these a lot of people's poor reading comprehension skills become apparent so I'm going to quote this part in large font for everybody:

Thank you,  people easily forget just how many of these types of issues exist,  just because it is about video games and only effects a smaller percentage of the population doesn't mean it is a flakey or unimportant condition.

1 hour ago, Cyberspirit said:

Thanks for explaining that sentence because I had no idea what it meant.

My English skills are quite limited when it comes to complex and big words. :(

As a native English speaker I am sure we forget just how hard it is to learn as a second language.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

As a native English speaker I am sure we forget just how hard it is to learn as a second language.

I'd like to think that I got the basics down but, I'm still using a spell checker for harder words and to correct sentences. 

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

11 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

I'm in the same boat as @Misanthrope there is no reason to classify this as a different disorder than simply addictive personality disorder unless they have an agenda, and organizations such as these always have an agenda.

It has to be classified as it's own disorder.  When it comes to anything health related (but especially mental health) specifics are very important,  medical malpractice, duty of care and legal liability hang off a diagnosis so that diagnosis has to be solid in and of itself.  Treatments vary hugely depending on the condition, sex therapy is no good for gamblers, alcoholics won't benefit much from a methadone program and so on.  It may seem superficial for personality addictions, but the reality is they are deeply complicated and each have their own unique issue that need to be addressed.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Wow an actual definition with thought out reasoning isn't of just the normal "if you play videos games for more than 2 hours a day, you are addicted and need to get help"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I think some comments here are missing the point. It's not REALLY about the hours spent. It's about how something can impair an individual's ability to function in society. 

Playing 10+ hours a week isn't a problem in itself (many people spend that much time watching TV). But when you start choosing video games over your family, your friends, your work/school, that's when you have a problem. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

52 minutes ago, mr moose said:

snip

I guess I simply find addictive personalities to be simply a lack of self control, which I simply see as a self inflicted and thus rather meaningless, now as for treatment it would be important to differentiate however given how often people regress anyway I find it to be a waste of effort

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, Prqnk3d said:

is computer tech an addiction because i don't even game but i still want a good pc with a custom loop

That can be an addiction too. If people spend too much money on their PC instead of paying their bills for excessive components they don't need can lead to addiction. 

2 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

That can be an addiction too. If people spend too much money on their PC instead of paying their bills for excessive components they don't need can lead to addiction. 

true. i don't generally end up spending money though because i'm 14 and don't have any

19 minutes ago, Prqnk3d said:

is computer tech an addiction because i don't even game but i still want a good pc with a custom loop

:)

17 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

No different to Mobile Phones.

Yet thats never an issue (Mobile Dopamine Farms)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz