Now it's official: "Gaming Disorder" is a mental condition according to WHO

captain_to_fire

addiction to video games?  

351 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you play video games in a week? (poll is private)

• Never
    • 1-2 hours
    • 2-6 hours
    • 7-10 hours
    • 11-14 hours
    • 15-18
    • 19-24 hours
    • < 24 hours
  2. 2. Do you classify yourself as an addict to video games?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe (state in the comments)
  3. 3. Do you think tech reviewers and tech companies (AMD, Intel, NVIDIA, etc) are fueling gaming addiction?

• Yes
    • No

On 12/26/2017 at 11:35 AM, Okjoek said:

I'm sure I can play emulators on it.

Shovel Knight

Roller coaster tycoon deluxe

Bit Blaster XL

Stardew Valley

Old school Runescape?

Halo CE?

Minecraft?

Crysis 4?

Half Life 3?

4k?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

On 12/29/2017 at 11:04 AM, hey_yo_ said:

Hmm.... it’s an idea worth exploring but looking st the tone of the author seems she’s experiencing cognitive dissonance by deflecting a bit and she doesn’t seems to be cognizant of what constitutes someone who might have a gaming disorder. Just look at the people with complete objection to the OP. 

It never ceases to amaze me how many people dispute whole groups of professionals with insanely more experience and education on such things.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

56 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people dispute whole groups of professionals with insanely more experience and education on such things.   

Sometimes major groups of professionals are wrong, but not in this case. 

I agree that it is an addiction and it should be taken seriously. Although most of the potential harm can be avoided with good parenting... still better than any conventional drug addiction, even tobacco and alkohol.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Vode said:

I agree that it is an addiction and it should be taken seriously. Although most of the potential harm can be avoided with goog parenting... still better than any conventional drug addiction, even tobacco and alkohol.

What if the addicted gamer is 37 and doesn't live at home anymore?  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, Vode said:

I agree that it is an addiction and it should be taken seriously. Although most of the potential harm can be avoided with goog parenting... still better than any conventional drug addiction, even tobacco and alkohol.

I’d rather not judge each individual addiction disorders as if one is the lesser of the two evils. If an alcohol addict is putting him/herself at risk of liver cirrhosis, liver cancer, wernicke’s encephalopathy, dehydration and death, a gaming addict is putting him/herself at risk of pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis due to lack of physical activity which can lead to stroke not to mention the risks of obesity and heart disease. 

I’d suggest you read the OP to have a full grasp on why the WHO declared as such and what classifies someone as a person with gaming disorder and why no form of addiction is better than one or the other. Most objections to the OP I’ve seen in this thread are people who didn’t read the entire thing. ?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

14 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I’d rather not judge each individual addiction disorders as if one is the lesser of the two evils. If an alcohol addict is putting him/herself at risk of liver cirrhosis, liver cancer, wernicke’s encephalopathy, dehydration and death, a gaming addict is putting him/herself at risk of pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis due to lack of physical activity which can lead to stroke not to mention the risks of obesity and heart disease. 

I’d suggest you read the OP to have a full grasp on why the WHO declared as such and what classifies someone as a person with gaming disorder and why no form of addiction is better than one or the other. Most objections to the OP I’ve seen in this thread are people who didn’t read the entire thing. ?

And they assume that personality disorders can be avoided with parenting.   9_9

9 hours ago, mr moose said:

What if the addicted gamer is 37 and doesn't live at home anymore?  

It's still a disorder. It might be more socially acceptable because he doesn't harm anone but it's still potentially very bad for the individual itself, also IRL relationships are important and will arguably suffer because of it.

EDIT: Ok I realize you ment the parenting aspect. Let me rephrase, you can't avoid addictions with good upbringing, just make them less likely.

9 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

I agree but it's just my feeling that it is the lesser evil. You can't undo years of heavy smoking and drinking as easily, but the mental aspect might be just worse with gaming addiction. It's very hard to tell...

I don't really object to the OP. I agree with it.

AMD R9 Fury X

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Logitech K830

Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Vode said:

It's still a disorder. It might be socially acceptable because he doesn't harm anone but it's still potentially very bad for the individual itself, also IRL relationships are important and will arguably suffer because of it.

My post was in regard to your assumption that "most of the potential harm can be avoided with goog parenting".    Would you say the same thing about gambling?  Given a significant portion of gamblers don't realise nor show signs they have the potential to be problem gamblers until well after they have left home.

9 hours ago, mr moose said:

My post was in regard to your assumption that "most of the potential harm can be avoided with goog parenting".    Would you say the same thing about gambling?  Given a significant portion of gamblers don't realise nor show signs they have the potential to be problem gamblers until well after they have left home.

I realized afterwards and edited my post. :)

Yes I do believe that you are much less suseptible to any addiction if you had a good childhood and good parenting can make it less likely for addictions to arise. Although I realize a lot of people aren't as lucky and it's a good thing that gaming addiction or any addiction or that matter is taken seriously and not brushed off.

Even the simple act of making people aware that this sort of thing exists is worth a lot too.

AMD R9 Fury X

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Logitech K830

Windows 10 Pro

9 minutes ago, Vode said:

I realized afterwards and edited my post. :)

Yes I do believe that you are much less suseptible to any addiction if you had a good childhood and good parenting can make it less likely for addictions to arise. Although I realize a lot of people aren't as lucky and it's a good thing that gaming addiction or any addiction or that matter is taken seriously and not brushed off.

Even the simple act of making people aware that this sort of thing exists is worth a lot too.

Nope,  So far all the research points to a genetic disposition first and foremost.  The only role parenting can* play is to make it better (assuming they have a crystal ball and raise their child specifically knowing what their disorder is) or worse because they are one of the few who abuse their kids.  Parenting will not make a person less susceptible to addiction traits like this.

*can as opposed to does, because the variables are too great to qualify one way or the other.

Have a read of this, all the references to parenting or environmental effects on addictive personality disorders are references to severe cases which can be found in the school yard and work place and are not necessarily parent specific.

https://www.nature.com/articles/522S48a

On 12/26/2017 at 4:02 PM, kelvinhall05 said:

We're two and a half minutes to midnight and these guys are worried about video games? Come the fuck on. Worry about bigger issues. This doesn't mean shit if we'll all die because Trump and Kim Jong Un are arguing about nukes and about to start WWIII.

i don't agree. In that thinking we should not think or discuss anything because there is always some major crisis lurking around. For me it makes no sense.

btw Trump will most likely kill us all by being a climate change denier than some nuclear war, even two idiots have self preservation mechanisms. 

we as a society should always try to help someone with an addiction rather than judging him/her or the parenting or whatever. One thing is trying to understand how this addictions start and if there is a cause/effect relationship and try to solve it. Another thing is the individual that for some reason falls in this traps.

Personally i do not believe this is a one cause problem, it can be cause by millions of little problems or context.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Nope,  So far all the research points to a genetic disposition first and foremost.  The only role parenting can* play is to make it better (assuming they have a crystal ball and raise their child specifically knowing what their disorder is) or worse because they are one of the few who abuse their kids.  Parenting will not make a person less susceptible to addiction traits like this.

*can as opposed to does, because the variables are too great to qualify one way or the other.

Have a read of this, all the references to parenting or environmental effects on addictive personality disorders are references to severe cases which can be found in the school yard and work place and are not necessarily parent specific.

https://www.nature.com/articles/522S48a

OK, you're making an interesting point. I don't think genetic disposition stands in stark contrast to my point though. They may both be factors, you could argue which one is more influential.

It looks to me like two different approaches. Like Psychoanalysis and Behaviourism, or the old nature vs nature argument.

Thanks, I'll read up on it, I'll probably learn something. :)

AMD R9 Fury X

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Logitech K830

Windows 10 Pro

Dammit .. It had to happen just when i was about to start gaming again ?

okay here's the story. 

2018 is here and i have decided to take 6 months vacation in 2018 starting from January (basically half the year WooHoo :D) that i can just kick off and relax and just game.

Its been 4 years since i last played any game, last time played would be in the year 2013 and the game would be Dead Space 3. Been busy with university and generally settling down in life.. Finally building myself an overblown new gaming pc (ram and mother board pending). I am finally settled and have free time to start gaming again. :)and lots and lots of games to play... since i have not played any games from 2013 to 2018(well almost 18 i mean its 31st) i have a lot to cover.

Been working my ass off all these years even at the cost of my own health and it finally paid off and i think i really deserve that vacation. But then this happens... Now am worried that my family members will start nagging again lol if they see it. Wait i have already seen it in the news paper today morning.

Microsoft in there infinite wisdom have decided to impose a VRAM cap for games the that use DX9 o.O. May God Bless them those whoever came up with that idea. :dry:

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, might not or must not exist ... ... but you're always welcome to search for it. 

8 hours ago, Vode said:

OK, you're making an interesting point. I don't think genetic disposition stands in stark contrast to my point though. They may both be factors, you could argue which one is more influential.

It looks to me like two different approaches. Like Psychoanalysis and Behaviourism, or the old nature vs nature argument.

Thanks, I'll read up on it, I'll probably learn something. :)

I guess my only concern is that if we are not careful how we talk about parenting, the potential stands to do more damage with things that become a popular response to mental disorders.  E.G How many people still claim adhd is a parenting issue or drug company invention?  Way too many,  and that one is a proven biological condition.  So when we enter the realms of personality disorders (they are much harder to understand)  Anything that shifts focus from the core problem doesn't help.  

I'm not going to read all of the posts, I just wanted to say some things.

ANYTHING that cause your dopamine receptors to fire can be addictive.  Anything from sugar to cocaine.

Does it make said thing bad?  Absolutely not.  Hell, cocaine (cocaine hydrochloride-topical) is still used occasionally in the medical field as a local numbing agent.

It's only bad if it affects your life negatively.  So try to not let that happen.

Cinnabar Sonar AWAY!

On 12/27/2017 at 7:19 AM, Zodiark1593 said:

I've an old desktop with a 2.1 GHz Athlon XP and some VIA Unichrome graphics. You can play Warcraft 3 on there on the lowest settings and a 640 x 480 resolution, and still get frame drops below 20 fps. I think the GMA 950 is considerably faster.

There was an old 2d Civilization game (don't remember which one) that I tried that ran like absolute poo (maybe 4-6 fps). This was before I knew much about framerate, so I just thought it was the game and returned it the next day.

Ok.....not even my Riva TNT2 Vanta (125/125MHz clock speeds) is that slow in WCIII (running with a Pentium III 1000 under Windows 98SE).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

15 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

ANYTHING that cause your dopamine receptors to fire can be addictive.  Anything from sugar to cocaine.

Does it make said thing bad?  Absolutely not.  Hell, cocaine (cocaine hydrochloride-topical) is still used occasionally in the medical field as a local numbing agent.

It's only bad if it affects your life negatively.  So try to not let that happen.

Yes, but then it’ll be another discussion. It’s true though that not everyone who experienced drugs became drug addicts. Alcohol in fact is several time more addictive than marijuana as it binds to more receptors than THC and yet so many people drinking aren’t alcoholics. I smoked pot twice back in college and yet I’m not a junkie. Cancer patients and people undergoing surgery are administered with diamorphine/heroin and yet majority of them don’t become junkies despite the fact that pharmaceutical grade heroin is stronger than street laced heroin. Same goes for gaming and potential gaming disorder. Much of the objection to the OP come from people who either haven’t read the entire thing or misrepresented the reason why or simply experiencing cognitive dissonance. I think one of the reasons why someone might experience gaming disorder is to escape harsh realities of life either domestic dissatisfaction or stress from work or just the feeling of emptiness and lack of direction and pathological gaming is ine of their ways to experience euphoria. 

While gaming disorder may not lead to a perforated nasal septum like cocaine addiction, it can still lead to much serious medical conditions like deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism due to lack of physical movement in the legs or obesity and cardiovascular diseases by the same cause. And just like any addict, people with gaming disorder might resort to spending too much on a gaming rig or buy so many video games and could result to stealing money from others just to satisfy their cravings for gaming. 

@hey_yo_ Are you,,,,, debating me?

I don't think there is anything that I said that would seem like I am disagreeing with gaming addiction being a thing.

3 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

@hey_yo_ Are you,,,,, debating me?

I don't think there is anything that I said that would seem like I am disagreeing with gaming addiction being a thing.

We call it elaborating, he's taking what you've said and expanding it to put it into context and show the importance of not allowing basic statements to be trivialized.

There are already a half a dozen people here who clearly have no understanding of what any of this means yet still feel somehow insulted or threatened by the thought enough to vocalize some inane rhetoric about it being such a non event.

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

We call it elaborating, he's taking what you've said and expanding it to put it into context and show the importance of not allowing basic statements to be trivialized.

There are already a half a dozen people here who clearly have no understanding of what any of this means yet still feel somehow insulted or threatened by the thought enough to vocalize some inane rhetoric about it being such a non event.

Ah, I misunderstood then.

@hey_yo_ My bad.  :P

27 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Ah, I misunderstood then.

@hey_yo_ My bad.  :P

No worries. My intention is what @mr moose said ?. 

30 minutes ago, mr moose said:

6 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Ok.....not even my Riva TNT2 Vanta (125/125MHz clock speeds) is that slow in WCIII (running with a Pentium III 1000 under Windows 98SE).

The desktop I had before that lacked an AGP port to move from it's own, even crappier Intel (i740?) iGPU. This VIA board at least has that port, so it could make for a decent retro build much later on.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…