Apple finally admits it is not virus proof

sowdeng

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/28203-apple-finally-admits-it-is-not-virus-proof

Welcome to the real world fanboys

Apple has finally admitted that its superior software design never protected a single fanboy from a virus.

For years Apple, and its legion of fundamentalist followers claimed that its operating system was invulnerable to viruses and cited as proof that no one ever caught one. At the time security experts pointed out that this concept was rubbish and that Apple was only surviving because it had such a small percentage of the market that malware writers could not be bothered writing them when they could not get them distributed.

However, with recent cases of Apple malware not only being written, but totally owning Macs Apple has finally admitted that it had been lying to users all along. It has also written its own virus checker so that Apple fanboys can finally join the real world. Apple has finally acknowledged its desktop computers are susceptible to viruses and malicious software.

Gatekeeper which was released yesterday is just a setting which flagged the user that apps were being installed. It checks downloads for anything that could harm the way the computer runs or spy on what the user is doing online.  If you use the default settings however you end up only using Apps downloaded from Jobs' Mob's Walled garden.  Apple thinks it is much safer and more profitable for fanboys to do that.  

Of course occasionally the odd serpent has got into Eden and Apple users have ended up being infected.  

Last modified on Thursday, 02 August 2012 12:04

about time

crap. Apple knows it is not virus proof. That's why they changed therir marketing to say that they are the safest OS instead of an OS that doesnt get viruses and also why they built  in Gatekeeper for unauthorized programs. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

it took 30 years to finally realize this *slow clap*

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/28203-apple-finally-admits-it-is-not-virus-proof

Welcome to the real world fanboys

Apple has finally admitted that its superior software design never protected a single fanboy from a virus.

For years Apple, and its legion of fundamentalist followers claimed that its operating system was invulnerable to viruses and cited as proof that no one ever caught one. At the time security experts pointed out that this concept was rubbish and that Apple was only surviving because it had such a small percentage of the market that malware writers could not be bothered writing them when they could not get them distributed.

However, with recent cases of Apple malware not only being written, but totally owning Macs Apple has finally admitted that it had been lying to users all along. It has also written its own virus checker so that Apple fanboys can finally join the real world. Apple has finally acknowledged its desktop computers are susceptible to viruses and malicious software.

Gatekeeper which was released yesterday is just a setting which flagged the user that apps were being installed. It checks downloads for anything that could harm the way the computer runs or spy on what the user is doing online.  If you use the default settings however you end up only using Apps downloaded from Jobs' Mob's Walled garden.  Apple thinks it is much safer and more profitable for fanboys to do that.  

Of course occasionally the odd serpent has got into Eden and Apple users have ended up being infected.  

Last modified on Thursday, 02 August 2012 12:04

about time

http://i.imgur.com/VYpUS.jpg

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

Nice 100% biased article that is misinformed and caters to PC fanboys. As soon as a journalist uses the word 'fanboy' unironically and provides no source to the topic they are discussing they lose all credibility. No one from Apple has ever claimed that Macs are insusceptible to viruses, and 'Macs don't get viruses' is a generalization that caters to the fact that there is so little malware written for macs that is virtually impossible to encounter. Where did Apple actually 'admit' this? Apple has started to build in virus protection because of their market share increase in the last few years, I don't see why this is an issue. Crap article, crap thread. Bring on the blind anti-mac hate.

Edit: The pic above me is dumb. The two things are the same, just reworded. I don't see why it's relevant - nice work.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

LOL that a good one 

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Nice 100% biased article that is misinformed and caters to PC fanboys. As soon as a journalist uses the word 'fanboy' unironically they lose all credibility. No one from Apple has ever claimed that Macs are insusceptible to viruses, and 'Macs don't get viruses' is a generalization that caters to the fact that there is so little malware written for macs that is virtually impossible to encounter. Crap article, crap thread.

So why is it that 6 out of the 6 people I know all tell me that their macs cannot get viruses. Apple did say on their website that macs cannot get viruses as well and recently they changed the page to say "Built to be safe". That is the source of this and other articles on the same thing.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

So why is it that 6 out of the 6 people I know all tell me that their macs cannot get viruses. Apple did say on their website that macs cannot get viruses as well and recently they changed the page to say "Built to be safe". That is the source of this and other articles on the same thing.

They're misinformed. Since when are misinformed consumers a front for a company? Source on your claim about their website?

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

They're misinformed. Since when are misinformed consumers a front for a company? Source on your claim about their website?

I can't show you what it said before since I do not go around downloading web pages and I can only show you what it says now.

https://www.apple.com/osx/what-is/security.html

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

In the UK they were court ordered couple years ago to remove the "Virus Free" messages from their websites and advertising. Don't know why it took the rest of the world so long to keep up with blatant false advertising. *sips tea*

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

I can't show you what it said before since I do not go around downloading web pages and I can only show you what it says now.

https://www.apple.com/osx/what-is/security.html

I don't see what the problem is here. Apple is now saying they're doing a whole bunch of work for you to keep you safe, what's not to like? What is the point of the article in the OP? No where does it say 'Mac's don't get viruses'. You guys will latch onto anything even when it doesn't support your argument.

Sounds perfect to me:

post-2523-0-34029900-1386856575.png

Come on, nothing is virus proof.

I guess that would be possible to develop a virus for everything that has a computer chip in it. Imagine how cool would be a smart fridge with cryptolocker in it.

Signatures are stupid.

Nice 100% biased article

Edit: The pic above me is dumb. The two things are the same, just reworded. I don't see why it's relevant - nice work.

I would agree that the article is very bias, but I do think the picture is very relevant also this "You guys will latch onto anything even when it doesn't support your argument." is kind of the people you know... having proof ;)

But yes I would agree that companies don't fully inform you all the time, why should Apple have to be different in that ;)

Like those ridiculous anti-aging cream ads xD

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

No fanboy has ever said OSX is virus proof..

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

Ah the fanboyism that goes on these days...

The reason OS X doesn't get (many) virus' is simply because of the market share, why target 10% of computers when you can target the rest? Now that this is changing it's making more sense to target the users who believe they are secure, OS X has had virus protection programs for years and there are many cross platform security flaws due to the intelligence (or lack thereof) of the users, regardless of operating system.

It's a similar story with Linux, there isn't the market share to warrant creating virus' even though it's easier, it's a waste of time.

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

I have said this for years to all my mac buddies.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

didn't Steve Jobs admit this about a year before he died? 

Character artist in the Games industry.

This is not news to anyone who isn't an idiot Mac fanboy.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

LOL this article is from 2012 and no one ever noticed it XDDDDDD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

The amount of retardation taking place on this page is Too Damn High! It does sound like the crap that's always said by people, and I wouldn't be surprised if Apple did in fact say it themselves at some point, but I also don't see why anyone should make that big of a deal about it other than to shut a few people up. I also don't see why other people on here are arguing about how so what Apples awesome, well I don't care what company it is it's a bit funny when they do change their stance on things, and disprove some people no matter what company it is.

Done  /thread

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

This is pretty old news imo since its published in August 2012. But its been pretty late that they finally decided to admit and release gatekeeper. Maybe with the news about badbios they decided to admit it and strengthen their security lol. Just realized that this article was before badbios lol.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

No fanboy has ever said OSX is virus proof..

Rubbish, my friend and a few I'd come across in various forums some time back, echoed this sentiment, that Apple claim it's virus free, so Apple had to be telling the truth. :rolleyes:  I can't tell you the number of times I got so infuriated with my friend who's always waxing lyrical about Apple.......that's the reason we haven't spoken for a while. I've since avoided any topic regarding Apple when talking to fanboys.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Bringing more than 1 year old article to start flaming war is stupidest idea. Even though I prefer PC myself, I dont hate on macs for no reason.

Although, it is true that Apple has been advertising their products as "virus-free" and most of Apple fanboys use "malware existance" as downside of the PC users.

So providing true information to correct their statement is ok. But doing the same(hating/bashing others) is plain stupid.

Now I can tell me friend which is a loyal member of the apple cult that apple is not virus proof.