Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

Helping to the I best can. Only 3 clients  :D

I'm trying to get into the top 20 but it looks like it'll be a fair while lol

I think I'm at 220 or so unless I've dropped a few places

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Joined! :)  2500k @4.7 / 580sli

Welcome, welcome!!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Helping to the I best can. Only 3 clients  :D

It all helps! :D

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

I'm trying to get into the top 20 but it looks like it'll be a fair while lol

I think I'm at 220 or so unless I've dropped a few places

The main trick is to be consistent. Many people come online and off... staying consitent with your PPD will see you climb the ladder pretty quick.

Hey @Mentalguy - nice numbers you putting up there.

Just to update everyone - had a mishape with my second 4P unit and it is basically dead. The guy I got it from was great though and we worked through it. So, I have a new 4P unit, but 8000 series AMD's on order and should be here in a couple of weeks to add to the farm. Also got a couple more AMD cards to add to the GPU folder... 500K PPD here I come. :)

Hey @Mentalguy - nice numbers you putting up there.

had some power outages this week, gonna leave the rigs off for a bit :(

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Just to update everyone - had a mishape with my second 4P unit and it is basically dead. The guy I got it from was great though and we worked through it. So, I have a new 4P unit, but 8000 series AMD's on order and should be here in a couple of weeks to add to the farm. Also got a couple more AMD cards to add to the GPU folder... 500K PPD here I come. :)

Dem amd cards :P which ones did you get?

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

The main trick is to be consistent. Many people come online and off... staying consitent with your PPD will see you climb the ladder pretty quick.

Someone told me that folding was basically stress testing the CPU and GPU, and can shorten the life of them, is this true because I'm hesitant to folding all the time?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Someone told me that folding was basically stress testing the CPU and GPU, and can shorten the life of them, is this true because I'm hesitant to folding all the time?

I think it is true. I usually give about 1/2 day rest ;) but still you are using your components heavily than you would normally so obviously the lifespan will be shorten and your power consumption will be at its max. At lease you will have a proper reason to buy new hardware  :D

It all helps! :D

Cool. When I joined our team was 142 and now 134! Anyhow, I'll be away for a week so I will only have 1 CPU working for the following week  :mellow: I'll get back on it once I'm back.

I really hate diseases and other disorders! Im joining! 

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 G45 • Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro series 8GB 1600MHz •  Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC 2GB • PSU: Corsair 860• Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M65• Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 • Monitor: LG 23EA63 IPS • Case: Corsair Graphite  600t

had some power outages this week, gonna leave the rigs off for a bit :(

Better safe then sorry!

I really hate diseases and other disorders! Im joining! 

Welcome to the club! :D

Dem amd cards :P which ones did you get?

Some more 6850's that I pulled from old systems...

We have chatted about this before. Essentially, yes, it will shorter the lifespan somewhat... but of something that is normally engineered to run for a very long time. Main thing, make sure your temps are good and you have good cooling. This will help...

Better safe then sorry!

back online now

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

We have chatted about this before. Essentially, yes, it will shorter the lifespan somewhat... but of something that is normally engineered to run for a very long time. Main thing, make sure your temps are good and you have good cooling. This will help...

Fair enough :)

so i decided i'm gonna leave my old team and join the linustechtips force :P

so i'm here wondering if i'll lose all my old work "which is not that much" only 3.6 millions points

Thanks in advance :D

Joezedi, on 10 Jul 2013 - 1:06 PM, said:

so i decided i'm gonna leave my old team and join the linustechtips force :P

so i'm here wondering if i'll lose all my old work "which is not that much" only 3.6 millions points

Your profile will still have that 3.6mil you had with your team, but you will start over for this team.

So when you go to the stanford page and see your profile like http://fah-web2.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=BenDreadful'>this, that window containing your old team will move down and your new team will take it's place.

Your work won't be deleted, it stays there, but you did it for that team and you can't switch it to a new one.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

so i decided i'm gonna leave my old team and join the linustechtips force :P

Welcome to the team! Glad to have you. In regards to points, when you switch teams, you do "kinda" lose your points. As part of the LTT team, you will be starting at 0, but if you search your user name on a stat site, you will see it come up twice, once associated with the old team, and the points attributed while you were with them, and the second time as a member of the LTT team and the points you have contributed since being a member.

This way teams don't lose points as members switch teams and such...

thanks for the help guys,i just changed the team number to 223518 will the current WU that i'm working on go to my old team or will they show up on this team as soon as they upload ? 

joined yesterday, finished first WU 2 min ago. This is so exciting and I have never been more enthralled watching a loading bar.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/