Folding@Home Install Guide and Links - LinusTechTips_Team - 223518

I guess I also joined the team I guess, not sure, it doesn't say anything that I succesfully joined you or something? I guess it's alright?

I guess I also joined the team I guess, not sure, it doesn't say anything that I succesfully joined you or something? I guess it's alright?

Welcome to the team! As long as you have the right Team ID in the Folding software, you are good to go. You need to complete and submit at least one Work Unit and then give it about 24 hours for the various databases to update to show on in the rankings...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

@Whaler_99

Alright, will not be folding on full nor 24/7, but every small bit helps right?  :)

Just joined the LTT_T! :D

But what is, if i cant complete the progress in one shot and have to reboot the system? Is the progress lost on this one?

And also, does it give me a huge increase if i oc my i7 2600k to 4.5-5ghz?

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

New server is running smoothly at 21/22K PPD, The old server was at ~15K PPD (the 20K PPD was a fluke occurrence)

And best of all is that is uses ~100 Watt less power at full load :)

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

@Whaler_99

Alright, will not be folding on full nor 24/7, but every small bit helps right?  :)

Every little bit does! :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

But what is, if i cant complete the progress in one shot and have to reboot the system? Is the progress lost on this one?

If you gracefully shutdown/reboot your system, no issue. The folding client will backup the work so it can continue when you are back up. If the system crashes though, that can cause some corruption and may be a lost WU - hit and miss there...

Only way to know your increase, is if you try it. :) Should net you a few every K of points, but will also run hoter and stress CPU... maybe 4.3....

And, welcome to the team!

New server is running smoothly at 21/22K PPD, The old server was at ~15K PPD (the 20K PPD was a fluke occurrence)

And best of all is that is uses ~100 Watt less power at full load :)

Nice... for reference, my 32 core unit generates and average of 350K PPD at about 700 watts... but ya, probably a lot more expensive :)

my 32 core unit generates and average of 350K PPD

WOW

at about 700 watts...

OUCH

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Every work unit has a set time in which you need to complete it, you can find out more about it if you click on the project number. There you will find the deadline to finish it. Rebooting doesn't cancel or reset the WU, it just saves it for later.

About the overclocking, I don't think you would gain that much from overclocking from 4.5ghz to 5ghz. The major differences would be heat output and power draw. You would certainly get more PPD, but it could be only a small increase.

My suggestion is go for it if you know what your doing in terms of overclocking. Run it for a few days and see if it's worth it.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

If you gracefully shutdown/reboot your system, no issue. The folding client will backup the work so it can continue when you are back up. If the system crashes though, that can cause some corruption and may be a lost WU - hit and miss there...

Only way to know your increase, is if you try it. :) Should net you a few every K of points, but will also run hoter and stress CPU... maybe 4.3....

And, welcome to the team!

Thanks! What about gpu folding? Currently running a gtx 590 which gets really hot, especially in the summer so i dont want it to run at full load all day. I think about "upgrading" to a gtx770 though. Can i expect more ppd/same/less?

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

For the 590 - you could always downclock it to save on some heat. :)

And yes, going from the 590 to a 770 should be a decent boost. What PPD are you getting on it now?

joined but dont know if u joined as my name is not displayed on the team list thing yet xD

btw wats with the gpu inifinite idle status

lives on

BAKABT

Hi there, I too just started and decided to join Team LinusTechTips...

The GPU will start folding when your pc goes idle so when your screensaver starts or when your screen shuts off. You can force it to start by pulling the slider to 'Full'.

And you will be in the team listing, it just takes a while to fill in new people.

And welcome to you both :)

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

I joined and use this Team Number  # 223518 it pretty much hums about 6 hours or so unused daily.

Joined up!

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Getting more people with +100k ppd.

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

joined but dont know if u joined as my name is not displayed on the team list thing yet xD

btw wats with the gpu inifinite idle status

Can take a day or two for you to show up in the stats.

The idle status is due to the slider being at "Normal" so your GPU only folds when the system is idle, your screen saver comes on. Want to fold GPU all the time? Crank the slider to full.

Hi there, I too just started and decided to join Team LinusTechTips...

Welcome to the gang!

I joined and use this Team Number  # 223518 it pretty much hums about 6 hours or so unused daily.

Glad to have you - every little bit helps. :)

Joined up!

Welcome to the team!

Getting more people with +100k ppd.

Have noticed that! Really cool to see.

So after running my PC for folding, I'd say my rig pumps out about 25-35k PPD. Not overly impressive, but its up to 35k more points every day!

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung